Jump to content

What are the Heresy's bad at?


Czilla9000
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ricktate said:

I dont think they lack anything actually, but if you want to get a sub to use with them that would probably help the lower end. I never had a sub with mine sound fine. 

I think that thumping BASS is what the general public is what PWK was talking about here:
 

First off, I don't even consider myself a member of the general public. I know that my own requirements in a loudspeaker are those I've discussed. Judging from what contact I have with the general public, though, I conclude that 99 percent of the general public doesn't even know what accuracy of reproduction is. My company is for the one percent composed of perfectionists who buy these expensive speakers. PWK

And yes I would LIKE to get the two 15" subwoofer drivers I have in a cheap sub box to be ABLE to be used with my La Scalas and Heresys (and get them in a better cabinet!) IF I CHOOSE! I want a KNOB to "bring them up" as much as *I* prefer! To "subaudible to obtrusive", analog adjustable attenuation!

John  Kuthe...
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, pbphoto said:

They sound so good, you will want to buy more Klipsch speakers.

That's about it! This is the only downside there is.

Had a pair for thirty years, bought some Fortes, sold the Heresy the next year.

Even though the Fortes dig a good bit lower with the frequency response, the Heresy are sealed and the bass from them has more of an impact.

It wasn't six months later and I had another pair of Heresy back in the house!

Have you heard any of the big folded woofer Klipsch? If you do not have space & or financial restraints make sure that you find a way to listen to some 15" folded horn Klipsch before you dive in to two or more pair of Heresy for ht. A single pair of LS with their magnificent imaging and mind bending tight bass could be nirvana for you there for the same amount of money.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That's about it! This is the only downside there is.

Had a pair for thirty years, bought some Fortes, sold the Heresy the next year.

Even though the Fortes dig a good bit lower with the frequency response, the Heresy are sealed and the bass from them has more of an impact.

It wasn't six months later and I had another pair of Heresy back in the house!

Have you heard any of the big folded woofer Klipsch? If you do not have space & or financial restraints make sure that you find a way to listen to some 15" folded horn Klipsch before you dive in to two or more pair of Heresy for ht. A single pair of LS with their magnificent imaging and mind bending tight bass could be nirvana for you there for the same amount of money.


I thought I'd be satisfied with the La Scalas I bought, but I recently picked up a pair of Heresys too! I'm thinking of hanging them in the rear of my Listening Room in my basement!

Klipsch sound is addicting! Depends on our budget for it! :-)

John Kuthe...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Corners @JohnKuthe they seem to do the bass a little better in the cornersB)

That's what I'm hoping! If I can get a good preamp for it I'd love to use my Phase Linear 400 for my Heresys ands put a good graphic equalizer in to boost the bass a bit. And run it a little harder/louder? than my La Scalas.

But step by step! I just don't want to break anything!

John Kuthe...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Czilla9000 said:

Hi - 

 

I'm considering getting a pair of Heresy's (all generations) for mixed HT and music usage. 

 

I know people here generally love these speakers, but do these speakers do poorly? What is the downside?

 

 

 

Compared to what?  That is a useful question to ask in almost any circumstances (it even got a friend out of jury duty).

 

I have Klipschorns as my front left and right channels,  Heresy IIs as surround speakers, and, elsewhere in the house, some 2 way Yamahas and a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (two 2 way modules, and a very small subwoofer).   When I first had them, I made many comparisons.  

 

  • Unsurprisingly, the Heresy IIs are generally worse than the Klipschorns, and better than the others.  In one way, though, the Heresy IIs are better than the Khorns; within their range, the Heresy IIs are smoother.  In our home theater we can make all the speakers equally smooth, each within it's range (i.e., above its 3 dB down point), by using Audyssey, so the Heresy II's advantage disappeared.   For anyone without a room/speaker optimizer, though, the Heresy II's maintain that one advantage.
  • As with all direct radiators, the bass end of the Heresy II is a little less tight and a little more distorted than a horn might be, but it is not too noticeable. 
  • The available dynamic range is great for a speaker that size, but still not near that of Khorns, La Scala, Belle, or Jubilee.  But since it is about 6 dB more sensitive than a typical speaker, it's potential dynamic range is about that much greater with a small amplifier.

         
                                                                            

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:35 AM, JohnJ said:

Even though the Fortes dig a good bit lower with the frequency response, the Heresy are sealed and the bass from them has more of an impact.

Disagree in the strongest terms.  Even cornballs don't sound as good in the bass department as forte IIs.  When I bought my first pair of fortes I compared them directly with heresies thinking if possible save some money.  There was no comparison and since I had the money I bought the fortes and will never look back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

That's what I'm hoping! If I can get a good preamp for it I'd love to use my Phase Linear 400 for my Heresys ands put a good graphic equalizer in to boost the bass a bit. And run it a little harder/louder? than my La Scalas.

But step by step! I just don't want to break anything!

John Kuthe...

That is NOT how you use a graphic equalizer...you don't "BOOST" anything!  You set all the frequency bands' controls FLAT...and if you want to "boost" something you just leave it FLAT, and drop everything else down BELOW FLAT!...so that it APPEARS that you have boosted what you deem needs boosting.....then you use the overall GAIN control for the channels and move them up just a little.  Otherwise you will possibly blow tweeters and such by driving the amp section into clipping for things you set above flat!  Running Heresys harder and louder than LaScalas is a Heresy component catastrophe waiting to happen!...with 200 wpc from that Phase Linear...you're just biding your time until IT DOES HAPPEN!  IMHO!

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Disagree in the strongest terms.  Even cornballs don't sound as good in the bass department as forte IIs.  When I bought my first pair of fortes I compared them directly with heresies thinking if possible save some money.  There was no comparison and since I had the money I bought the fortes and will never look back.

If you haven't heard H3's yet, you should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Disagree in the strongest terms.  Even cornballs don't sound as good in the bass department as forte IIs.  When I bought my first pair of fortes I compared them directly with heresies thinking if possible save some money.  There was no comparison and since I had the money I bought the fortes and will never look back.

You ever had good H2s and brand spankin' new F3s to compare? Same room, music media, equipment?

I'd guess that there are charts and graphs that measure the SPL from like the 1812 Overture for different Klipsch.

I gave up a little bit of that pressure that the Heresy pump out with their 50hz bass to get the 38hz from the F3s plus their sparkling/spacious mid and high range.

You've disagreed with me strongly before, who was right then?

this last line was edited for my longevity here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Ever heard H3's?  Try em.

Read a lot of good things about them, but no. Can they image like the Supers you sent me? Their spl isn't too bad, the soundstage they make is outstanding!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...