What are the Heresy's bad at?

Czilla9000

15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Read a lot of good things about them, but no. Can they image like the Supers you sent me? Their spl isn't too bad, the soundstage they make is outstanding!

Different animal....not sure how to compare the two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

That is NOT how you use a graphic equalizer...you don't "BOOST" anything!  You set all the frequency bands' controls FLAT...and if you want to "boost" something you just leave it FLAT, and drop everything else down BELOW FLAT!...so that it APPEARS that you have boosted what you deem needs boosting.....then you use the overall GAIN control for the channels and move them up just a little.  Otherwise you will possibly blow tweeters and such by driving the amp section into clipping for things you set above flat!  Running Heresys harder and louder than LaScalas is a Heresy component catastrophe waiting to happen!...with 200 wpc from that Phase Linear...you're just biding your time until IT DOES HAPPEN!  IMHO!

Not only do I have  years of amateur home audio equipment experience, and I know just of what you are spealink. Attenuation is always relative. I have a pretty nice auto system in my 2006 Grand Caravan. I have a 12" sub in a box in the Stow-N-Go space behind the driver's seat, and when I had my amps' gains not set properly I smoked a 12" Slim Line Alpine subwoofer driver having just as little too much fun with thumping  DISTORTED bass!! Ouch!! I got a JL Audio 12-Inch TW3 Car Subwoofer - 12TW3-D4:

https://www.abt.com/product/71519/JL-Audio-12-Inch-TW3-Car-Subwoofer-12TW3D4.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&camptype=cpcUSGooglePLA&utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5J_mBRDVARIsAGqGLZBowOItSpV4ihtrmvVXwDgbkVy_tWfKjlKSecfKPGFQJqvvDmQwzVkaAj4tEALw_wcB

and had my amps' gains SET PROPERLY!! And I don't make it THUMP too hard! Just hard enough to make the rear view vibrate a bit! It's not OVER bassed as so many are, but more in a proper level for the 4 Alpine 6x9 two ways and two 5.25" PHD audiophile auto speakers /w/ separate tweeters that sing nicely!

John Kuthe...

11 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

Not only do I have  years of amateur home audio equipment experience, and I know just of what you are spealink. Attenuation is always relative. I have a pretty nice auto system in my 2006 Grand Caravan. I have a 12" sub in a box in the Stow-N-Go space behind the driver's seat, and when I had my amps' gains not set properly I smoked a 12" Slim Line Alpine subwoofer driver having just as little too much fun with thumping  DISTORTED bass!! Ouch!! I got a JL Audio 12-Inch TW3 Car Subwoofer - 12TW3-D4:

https://www.abt.com/product/71519/JL-Audio-12-Inch-TW3-Car-Subwoofer-12TW3D4.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&camptype=cpcUSGooglePLA&utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5J_mBRDVARIsAGqGLZBowOItSpV4ihtrmvVXwDgbkVy_tWfKjlKSecfKPGFQJqvvDmQwzVkaAj4tEALw_wcB

and had my amps' gains SET PROPERLY!! And I don't make it THUMP too hard! Just hard enough to make the rear view vibrate a bit! It's not OVER bassed as so many are, but more in a proper level for the 4 Alpine 6x9 two ways and two 5.25" PHD audiophile auto speakers /w/ separate tweeters that sing nicely!

John Kuthe...

Keep In mind that Heresy "1" is rated at 105 WPC MAX!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Keep In mind that Heresy "1" is rated at 105 WPC MAX!

I WILL be quite careful with my Heresys!! I do not want to *have" to replace the 12" woofers. I DO want to use their bass to supplement my La Scalas' bass! Not THUMPING bass, that's what the two 15" will be for!

I have two 15" subwoofer drivers in a cheap box. I'll probably drive those with the Flame Linear, but dunno.

Gotta eat dinner now, talk later! Thanks!

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Even cornballs don't sound as good in the bass department as forte IIs.

What you call cornballs really have some similarities (above about 500 Hz) to Heresies.  Therefore, my cat calls them hairballs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, garyrc said:

What you call cornballs really have some similarities (above about 500 Hz) to Heresies.  Therefore, my cat calls them hairballs.

I will spell Heresys the way I like to spell Heresies! 😉

My Heresys, MY SPELLING!!

John Kuthe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2019 at 2:31 AM, pbphoto said:

I have had a pair of H3's for 6 years now.  1) Nothing below ~50hz - you will need a sub that can blend in well.  2) They sound so good, you will want to buy more Klipsch speakers.

I've had H3's for about 6-7 years. When I had them in corners I did not feel I needed a subwoofer. I moved and could not place them in corners so I added a HSU sub. 

The H3's are fine speakers. 👍

• Like 1

I have been following this thread with interest. Thinking about getting a set of H3's new or used if I can find a nice pair close. I will be using a Emotiva XPA Gen 3 2 Channel Amp to power them. My question is what Klipsch sub or subs would you suggest to pair with them? Or would it be better to step up to CW3's and forget the subs. These will be going in my wife's living room, she has Forte 1's in there now, but doesn't like that they have to be set out so far from wall. This will be two channel only. 

4 minutes ago, agreen60 said:

I have been following this thread with interest. Thinking about getting a set of H3's new or used if I can find a nice pair close. I will be using a Emotiva XPA Gen 3 2 Channel Amp to power them. My question is what Klipsch sub or subs would you suggest to pair with them? Or would it be better to step up to CW3's and forget the subs. These will be going in my wife's living room, she has Forte 1's in there now, but doesn't like that they have to be set out so far from wall. This will be two channel only. 

What size room? I have H3's a pair of H1 decorators and some HIP's yes I'm a big fan of the "little speaker that could". I find the DIY Anarchy 25hz tapped horn (X2) to blend nicely with all of them in a small to medium sized room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rockhound said:

What size room? I have H3's a pair of H1 decorators and some HIP's yes I'm a big fan of the "little speaker that could". I find the DIY Anarchy 25hz tapped horn (X2) to blend nicely with all of them in a small to medium sized room.

14x16 Room

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Les Lammers said:

I've had H3's for about 6-7 years. When I had them in corners I did not feel I needed a subwoofer. I moved and could not place them in corners so I added a HSU sub. 

The H3's are fine speakers. 👍

I run H3s off an Elekit tu-8200 amplifier. Originally I thought I needed subwoofers, so I added two Martin Logan Dynamo 700 subs. It sounded awesome, then I upgraded my tube compliment to ECC802 for the preamps and kt88 for the power tubes (tubes by JJ electronics).  That really took the bass to whole nother level. while I still have the subs on I probably would have saved a good amount of money had I done the tubes first!

Edited by BadChile
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Use a pair of Heresy out in the bar in the yard, either 1 or 2 version, can't remember. Usually at low volumes, unless working in the garden, using something similar to a loudness button for low volumes and it has nice bass, sounds good. They are mounted upside down on the back wall behind the bar pointing down to the center of the open 16 'wide 24' long bar.

But all speakers sound better outside to me.

• 2 years later...
On 4/29/2019 at 2:08 AM, Czilla9000 said:

Hi - 

I'm considering getting a pair of Heresy's (all generations) for mixed HT and music usage. 

I know people here generally love these speakers, but do these speakers do poorly? What is the downside?

In 1985 i bought a new pair of 85 Heresy's and a used pair of 84 Heresy's and using them for HT i had an Onkyo 50w/ch AVR and a Hitachi HIFI VCR.  While watching Pink Floyd The Wall it would really shake everything in the living room while watching at spirited levels.  There was no need for a sub in that HT system.  I was pleasantly surprised as with music they didn't seem to have much low bass.  I still have the 84's which are now Super Heresy and couldn't be happier with 2 channel stereo.   

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Pastor Dave said:

What about using a pair of Heresy speakers as a center cluster for a small church? Height would be 16', and the room is 50' by 50'. Mounting gear for this? Thanks.

Hello Pastor Dave, welcome to the Forum. 

You came to the right place, PWK donated and installed his speakers all around Southern Arkansas, and East Texas. He wrote several articles on how to install speakers in church settings so that maximized speech intelligibility. I believe @bhendrix has some experience with this (it may be just with church camps).

I also believe Roy @Chief bonehead has installed a few systems in, including his church which he described as "small." Do you have a few photos of your sanctuary? That would be helpful for those guys.

Travis

• Like 1