If you own an imported tube amp read this....

tube fanatic

40 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Start reading at post #38.  Lots of very interesting information has been presented:

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/this-isnt-about-cheap-asian-sourced-amps-preamps-but-it-is-about-economics-and-value.4569/page-2

Maynard

Interesting the end of the thread someone has the same issue with their Chinese amp as I. One MA meter not working properly.

The scary thing in your link is that even iMacs built for Apple come with fraudulent components. Makes me think of exploding Samsung smartphones, exploding iPhones etc.

You seem to suggest that anyone with a China made tube amp should throw it away right now, for safety reasons? So the only amp you can trust is the one you build yourself, and the only smartphone you can trust is the one you build yourself?

I must admit that the absence of the CE -label (I live in Europe) does scare me a bit, if I buy something from China. Although I think there is little real 'quality control' behind that label  - iMacs too have that label.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ILI said:

You seem to suggest that anyone with a China made tube amp should throw it away right now, for safety reasons? So the only amp you can trust is the one you build yourself,

No, nothing suggested or implied on my part.  That link was sent to me by a friend and I considered it an important discussion topic.  He says that the fellow who did the evaluation is highly regarded. 

Of course, I do trust the amps I design and build myself (it would be strange indeed if I didn't!).  That said, there is really no way to know if the components I purchase are the real thing.  I only purchase from huge electronics wholesalers here in the US and I hope that their suppliers are legitimate.  One never knows.  Even back in the day (50s and 60s) there were unscrupulous tube vendors who rebranded tubes of dubious quality so well that it was impossible to tell the difference visually.

Maynard

The problem is not limited to tube amps.

Lots of counterfeit parts for solid state components as well, especially the vintage Marantz and Sansui power transistors.

Even the ones sold by reputable parts companies can be suspect.

Sometimes, the only sure way is to buy an old amp and pull working components.

I recall having some components (Sony I think) back in 1980 that had a dob of paint on every bolt/screw that was on the outside casework.  Hence, if the paint was "broken" someone had been inside your component post factory release and the seller had better have had a maintenance invoice from an authorized shop.

• Like 1

I recall having some components (Sony I think) back in 1980 that had a dob of paint on every bolt/screw that was on the outside casework.  Hence, if the paint was "broken" someone had been inside your component post factory release and the seller had better have had a maintenance invoice from an authorized shop.
I come from that age too, with blue-sealed screws...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 5047U met Tapatalk

15 hours ago, MC39693 said:

Mais oui, un, deux, trois 

I thought of buying a mid cost amp from China, checked Google... 

Why do that... there are so many domestic market goodies once you reach into the mid level pricing... say >$1200-$1500.

I agree.  It's a BIG reason why I went with the Bob Latino VTA ST-70 tube amp kit from here in the states.  I got real customer and technical support from Bob himself and even an occasional email just to make sure all is still working well.  I doubt any Chinese company would ever do that.  Those offshore amps definitely look nice....but that's about where it ends, it seems.  Unless you're a seasoned tube amp tech, like many here and other places, that can reverse engineer them and figure out what's wrong when it breaks.  People like me cannot do that.

I bought a returned Chinese mini tube amp on eBay for less than $100.  It sounded good but I wasn't using it so tore it apart of course.  It comes powered by a 12 volt laptop power supply.  I wanted to see how they get the required voltages from that.  Inside was a boost converter that supplies 280 volts to the plates.  But it was not mounted to anything.  It was just wrapped in shrink tubing and tucked in there.  And the shrink tubing had a hole burned into it.  I think perhaps it was a repair because the boost converter board looked a little burnt.  They could have at least put another piece of shrink tubing over it.  I'm very glad I tore the thing apart.  The rest of the amp looks solid.  I'm going to rebuild it for fun.