Klipsch RPW-10 Subwoofer Crossover Frequency Setting

tedham

There are a lot of brilliant people here, and I am hoping someone can teach me to understand and correctly, theoretically, set the low pass crossover frequency on my Klipsch subwoofer.

If this should be posted in 2-Channel Home Audio, please advise.

I have a McIntosh MA2275 tube integrated amplifier with no subwoofer or LFE output. Speakers are Klipsch Cornwall III 70th Anniversary Limited Edition, and a Klipsch RPW-10 subwoofer.

Signal chain is: Amp ---> L/R speaker output to --->  L/R high-level input to sub  --->  Sub L/R speaker high-level output to L/R speakers, for a 2.1 setup.

The Cornwall III specs show Crossover Frequency HF: 5000Hz, MF: 800Hz. The Low-Frequency Driver is a K-33-E 15” (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone woofer.

According to the sub manual, the High-Level outputs “pass through a full range (unfiltered) signal.”

LOW PASS” (LP) CROSSOVER – The crossover allows the user to select the upper-frequency cutoff of the subwoofer. The frequency is selectable from 40-120Hz. Frequencies above the control’s setting are filtered out, allowing you to blend the subwoofer’s output with that of your main speakers. If the low pass filter function is being provided by your speaker’s electronics, set the “LOW PASS” control to 120Hz.

I know there is a long list of variables that could affect the setting: Are the speakers in the corner of the room, is the room square, total cubic inches, drapes-shades, windows-no windows, carpet-tile, how far back is the normal listening position, room eq wizard analysis, men-220 room correction, type of music, lamp cord or welding cables, etc.

With the specifications listed, in general, where should I set the RPW-10 subwoofer crossover frequency and why?

If more info is needed, please let me know, and Thank You for your help!