Internet Radio

JohnA

Ill try here, since the topic got light response in the lounge.

Do you listen to/stream internet radio?  What stations?

Been listening to "Bar Rockin' Blues" (claims to be from Chicago), but also Audiophile Rock and Blues. Audiophile Jazz, Blues and Roots Radio, A dore Vocal Jazz, SiriusXM's Classic Vinyl, .....  Primarily I listen through the VTuner app in my Integra Pre/Pro.  There are 45,000(?) different stations from all over the world.

I bought the coolest streaming radio a few days ago, a Mondo+.  It has a battery so I can take it elsewhere.  It seems to find anything I can type into it, though that's tedious. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnA said:

Ill try here, since the topic got light response in the lounge.

Do you listen to/stream internet radio?  What stations?

Been listening to "Bar Rockin' Blues" (claims to be from Chicago), but also Audiophile Rock and Blues. Audiophile Jazz, Blues and Roots Radio, A dore Vocal Jazz, SiriusXM's Classic Vinyl, .....  Primarily I listen through the VTuner app in my Integra Pre/Pro.  There are 45,000(?) different stations from all over the world.

I bought the coolest streaming radio a few days ago, a Mondo+.  It has a battery so I can take it elsewhere.  It seems to find anything I can type into it, though that's tedious. 

I USED to use Pandora, until Pandora DECIDED to to support WinXP Pro anymore! My PC runs WinXP Pro ands Pandora's little "Application" NO LONGER WORKS on WinXP Pro PCs like mine! So I stopped PAYING Pandora for what used to be several years of wonderful jazz! Started with a "Miles Davis" station and over some time accumulated about 40 different jazz "stations" (jazz artists' names!)

Now I just rely on Youtube! Screw Pandora! 😞 And you know what I discovered? Youtube DOES NOT PAUSE every so often on a WinXP Pro computer to ask "Are you still watching?" because Youtube "thinks" none exist anymore!! ROFL!!! So I get constant streaming off Youtube on my Toughbook WinXP Pro computer, which I use to feed my audio system in the basement!

John Kuthe...

13 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

I USED to use Pandora, until Pandora DECIDED to to support WinXP Pro anymore! My PC runs WinXP Pro ands Pandora's little "Application" NO LONGER WORKS on WinXP Pro PCs like mine! So I stopped PAYING Pandora for what used to be several years of wonderful jazz! Started with a "Miles Davis" station and over some time accumulated about 40 different jazz "stations" (jazz artists' names!)

Now I just rely on Youtube! Screw Pandora! 😞 And you know what I discovered? Youtube DOES NOT PAUSE every so often on a WinXP Pro computer to ask "Are you still watching?" because Youtube "thinks" none exist anymore!! ROFL!!! So I get constant streaming off Youtube on my Toughbook WinXP Pro computer, which I use to feed my audio system in the basement!

John Kuthe...

WinXP Pro is 17 years old.  Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2014 and you're complaining about Pandora's app not working?  Time to upgrade.  BTW, Pandora works over any browser - did you try that instead of the app?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

WinXP Pro is 17 years old.  Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2014 and you're complaining about Pandora's app not working?  Time to upgrade.  BTW, Pandora works over any browser - did you try that instead of the app?

No it's NOT "time to upgrade"!! WinXP Pro does EVERYTHING I need it to, and most things I want it to!!

I am NOT FEEDING THE NEVER ENDING UPGRADE FOR NO REASONS other than to make all the computer megagiant CORPORATIONS even RICHER!! Screw 'em!! I'll go to a Linux-based OS before I will BUY anything from either MicroSUCKS or that iWanna-Rule-The-WORLD formerly Steve Jobs' corporation!!

Before I was a Registered Nurse I was a Computer Engineer who worked for IBM for 7 years! And I KNOW THAT THEY ARE DOING!!!! EVIL!!! 😞 And I DON'T CARE if MicroSUCKS "supports" WinXP Pro! And I don;'t know why anyone else does either! I support MY OWN COMPUTER!

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

No it's NOT "time to upgrade"!! WinXP Pro does EVERYTHING I need it to, and most things I want it to!!

I am NOT FEEDING THE NEVER ENDING UPGRADE FOR NO REASONS other than to make all the computer megagiant CORPORATIONS even RICHER!! Screw 'em!! I'll go to a Linux-based OS before I will BUY anything from either MicroSUCKS or that iWanna-Rule-The-WORLD formerly Steve Jobs' corporation!!

Before I was a Registered Nurse I was a Computer Engineer who worked for IBM for 7 years! And I KNOW THAT THEY ARE DOING!!!! EVIL!!! 😞 And I DON'T CARE if MicroSUCKS "supports" WinXP Pro! And I don;'t know why anyone else does either! I support MY OWN COMPUTER!

John Kuthe...

They will stop support on Windows 7 in April 2020.  Just move on and be done with it.  Or, go to Linux and be done with it.  Times change.  Companies can't support old technology anymore.  School software doesn't work with XP anymore (when I was a school Network Admin) and neither does the programs that work within  the city where I'm network administrator now.  Police, Fire, 911 Emergency, Tornado Warning systems, EMS, etc., can't work on old technology.  

No offense, but you seem to have an odd "screw everyone else in the world" attitude about things in general.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, avguytx said:

They will stop support on Windows 7 in April 2020.  Just move on and be done with it.  Or, go to Linux and be done with it.  Times change.  Companies can't support old technology anymore.  School software doesn't work with XP anymore (when I was a school Network Admin) and neither does the programs that work within  the city where I'm network administrator now.  Police, Fire, 911 Emergency, Tornado Warning systems, EMS, etc., can't work on old technology.  

No offense, but you seem to have an odd "screw everyone else in the world" attitude about things in general.  

NO! Not at all!!! I value individual HUMANS more than ALL THE TECHNOLOGY we made!!

But the technology we made is making us less and less HUMAN! The telephone was invented to allow humans to communicate verbally across long distances! Now Phones are invented strictly to 1) SPY ON YOU and 2) to make the Phone Corporations RICHER by sucking as much MONEY as they can out of US!! And I am NOT GOING THERE!! I do NOT WANT or NEED a cell phone!! 

John Kuthe, 59 years old and 6 more years to Retirement!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnA said:

There are 45,000(?) different stations from all over the world.

I recently found that out with a newer Yamaha HT receiver I bought used. Couldn't believe there were thousands of stations for just the Ambient genre. I have nothing right now to contribute except my jaw dropping.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

I recently found that out with a newer Yamaha HT receiver I bought used. Couldn't believe there were thousands of stations for just the Ambient genre. I have nothing right now to contribute except my jaw dropping.

Exactly what PWK was talking about!! When he talked about NOT being a member of the General Public! For whom the Ambient genre was developed! Pablum MUSIC for The Masses!!

John Kuthe...

46 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I find the sound quality to be highly variable, and I have yet to find a station whose quality I would rate as "excellent".

That legitimate criticism indeed.

The link I posted earlier is 320kbps, which is really good, imho. Still, it is more like a podcast rather than a radio station.

https://exploringmusic.wfmt.com/listen-to-the-show/programs-by-composer/

The affiliated radio station is lower in quality: https://radionetwork.wfmt.com/

5 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

I am NOT FEEDING THE NEVER ENDING UPGRADE FOR NO REASONS ...............

John Kuthe...

Have a look at Linux, Ubuntu, Mint, even Lubuntu.  You can keep it updated for free.  I switched to a Dell with Ubuntu from the factory in '14, and had been using  netbooks with Linux since '08.  The biggest problems are Garmin updates and Block's taxware.  I keep Win7 on a secondary partition on my netbook for that. 

Had a virus kill my XP machine even with anti-virus.  It got in through Firefox, no less.  I stopped it but the damage was severe enough I just sipped the drive and started over.  What a PITA!  Caution.

• Like 1