Internet Radio

JohnA

3 hours ago, Edgar said:

I find the sound quality to be highly variable, and I have yet to find a station whose quality I would rate as "excellent".

True.  Most are tolerable.  If I want to sit and listen, Ill put in a DVD or CD.  I especially like concert video these days. 

But the bewildering choices via VTuner (you can listen via their web site) prompted me to start this thread.  It's hard to check out 890 jazz stations myself.  There are dozens of good jazz stations from even Russia!  And one from Vanuatu!  LOL!

3 hours ago, JohnA said:

Have a look at Linux, Ubuntu, Mint, even Lubuntu.  You can keep it updated for free.  I switched to a Dell with Ubuntu from the factory in '14, and had been using  netbooks with Linux since '08.  The biggest problems are Garmin updates and Block's taxware.  I keep Win7 on a secondary partition on my netbook for that. 

Had a virus kill my XP machine even with anti-virus.  It got in through Firefox, no less.  I stopped it but the damage was severe enough I just sipped the drive and started over.  What a PITA!  Caution.

I own a copy of Site License WinXP Pro, and I made a CD copy including SP1/2 and SP3!  I worked at Missouri College where I taught a class "Intro To Computers"! I had NO syllabus or outline, so I taught my first class extemporaneously! Just from what I know about the rough history of and the present day of computers, and when I was describing the different  personal computing platforms (Win and Apple) one of my students asked me "Which is better?" and that gave me a great idea for a term project: Windows vs Apple, compare and contrast! And I learned a LOT about them from my students' research!!!

I know a LOT about computers! Just not about their software!

John Kuthe...

10 hours ago, glens said:

Fetch and test-run an Ubuntu system image file.  Trust me, you'll be thankful, and you'll find something to occupy some time at no cost.

Thankful? Not me.

Linux may be wonderful for folks who only run applications developed by others, but as someone who occasionally develops those kinds of applications, I find Linux to be an abomination of not-ready-for-prime-time rogue programming, particularly for audio. Everybody with an opinion develops a package that is full of obscure dependencies and only works in their little corner of the programming universe. Sorting through it is an exercise in futility.

No offense intended toward you, glens; just expressing my own acute frustration with Linux in general.

• Like 1

None taken, but I find your statement "Linux may be wonderful for folks who only run applications developed by others" to be rather upside down (no offense) as there are no better tools available at any cost for coming up with one's own applications.  What's more, if I want different behavior in an application I can make whatever changes I want and recompile.  I ditched the wanna-be Microsoft junk about the time they were in beta with 95 and have never, ever, regretted it.  Back then you really had to roll up your sleeves to get a system up and running.  Not so any more.  There truly are no near rivals to GNU/Linux any more. 

13 minutes ago, glens said:

There truly are no near rivals to GNU/Linux any more. 

I respectfully disagree. I've wasted months of my life trying to get some audio applications to run under Linux/ALSA that only required compiling and executing under Windows/ASIO. I haven't tried WASAPI but I understand that it's comparable.

❤️ Radio. I can listen to anything from anywhere.

If I miss Rush Limbaugh from noon to 3

I tune in my Hawaii Station since they're 6 hours behind us.

Music--Talk, Most things for entertainment at home or in the car.

At Home though I usually use Apple itunes

13 hours ago, Edgar said:

Thankful? Not me.

Linux may be wonderful for folks who only run applications developed by others, but as someone who occasionally develops those kinds of applications, I find Linux to be an abomination of not-ready-for-prime-time rogue programming, particularly for audio. Everybody with an opinion develops a package that is full of obscure dependencies and only works in their little corner of the programming universe. Sorting through it is an exercise in futility.

No offense intended toward you, glens; just expressing my own acute frustration with Linux in general.

YOU sir have coined the main problem with the computer industry! I worked for IBM for 7 years mostly on a small server team, and compourters like cell phones seem more concerned with perpetuating their own computer industries than pleasing their end users!

After IBM "let me go" in 2003 I eventually became a Registered Nurse so I could get a JOB without having to move to East Jesus!

John Kuthe...

On 4/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, Edgar said:

I find the sound quality to be highly variable, and I have yet to find a station whose quality I would rate as "excellent".

Still can't argue, but for me its the programming and exposure to new artists, like Candy Dulfer. 

• Moderators
On 4/30/2019 at 7:49 AM, JohnKuthe said:

NO! Not at all!!! I value individual HUMANS more than ALL THE TECHNOLOGY we made!!

That is part of the problem, companies/people who developed the technology and back it up do not really care what you think are care about after you own it. It's just business to them and business is good.

Like with phones, how many fools rush out to buy the latest, it's just what they want, suckers.

• Like 1

Net Radio is great!  People tell me about streaming services, but Net Radio is free and supplies me with lots of stations.

One surprise was Divan Radio, from Tirana, Albania.  It plays non-stop classic American jazz., and I’ve yet to hear a DJ.  For “Adult Contemporary”, or soft rock, with amusing ads, there’s 7HO Radio, from Hobart, Tasmania.  After seeing so many Ozzy Man videos, the Australian accent sounds amusing to me, in the song introductions, and in the ads.

The quirky thing about Net Radio is that it’s done through a host, not directly.  A few weeks ago, I got a firmware update notice, so I downloaded and installed it.  Suddenly all my Net Radio favourites were gone.  After a bit of searching, it turned out that Yamaha had been using VTuner, but had some issue with them and changed to airable.radio.

VTuner had a good search system that let you use two filters at once, like search for a certain genre of music, from a certain country, while with airable, you can choose the genre, and be faced with 10,000 stations world-wide that play that genre, listed alphabetically, starting with A.  Or you can choose a country, and get a list of thousands of stations, listed alphabetically, of course.  And there are less than fifty per page.  Not so good...

Sure, I’ve found a few good new stations, but it’s been very difficult to replace my favourites from VTuner.  BTW, my Yamaha receiver is a 2016 model.  The update is not supported for any receivers made before 2014. 

7 hours ago, dtel said:

That is part of the problem, companies/people who developed the technology and back it up do not really care what you think are care about after you own it. It's just business to them and business is good.

Like with phones, how many fools rush out to buy the latest, it's just what they want, suckers.

I'm one of the few humans who refuses to own or carry a CELL PHONE! One, I do NOT want to be that contactable! Nor do I want to be tracked via GPS even when SHUT OFF! I KNOW what those POSs are capable of!! Before I was an RN I was a Computer Engineer! ScAry what those bloody things can do! And DO do them! 😞

Plus I've survived 59 years without one, WHY WOULD I WANT ONE?

John  Kuthe...

• Moderators

I don't have or want a phone, I don't care about gps, they can follow me around all they want, they will get bored or put to work.

If people need to get ahold of me they can call my wife, I'm not answering a phone, if I were working probably.

8 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

I'm one of the few humans who refuses to own or carry a CELL PHONE! One, I do NOT want to be that contactable! Nor do I want to be tracked via GPS even when SHUT OFF! I KNOW what those POSs are capable of!! Before I was an RN I was a Computer Engineer! ScAry what those bloody things can do! And DO do them! 😞

Plus I've survived 59 years without one, WHY WOULD I WANT ONE?

John  Kuthe...

I have a smart phone, but I turn all the junk off (tracking, apps, most of all Google, Google is super intrusive btw). I don't usually carry it on my person but I do carry it in the car. Don't bank on my phone, don't order or shop with it, don't trade stocks on it or pay my bills with it. Read up on cellular personal data security, or lack of it. With everything pretty much off, my battery lasts 10-14 days. And if i need the internet, a map, or the local weather radar, it's just a couple buttons away. Oh and my phone cost me $88 new delivered, and approx $25 a month service charge. Who in their right mind pays $1000 for the newest iphone, or waits 12 hours in a line for the privilege to do so? 

Younger people are addicted to their phones. I frequently see women walking downtown their face planted in their phone. Or go to a fast food joint @ lunch. Many cannot even eat their meal without making love to their phone :) Not all but many. Today's society we start em out young playing on mom's phone @ age 4 or 5, some maybe even younger.

Edited by polizzio
correction
  • Sad 1

My two-year-old grand-daughter knows how to flip through photos in the photo album on one...  

Yeah, google is hyper-intrusive.  I was a fan for years, ever since they were a school project on google.stanford.edu with raid cases made of Legos.  Up until a couple years ago when I had enough of them.  They're one of if not the biggest forces behind the push for all sites going https and that irks the crap out of me.  For many years I've been re-writing web pages on the way in via privoxy (to get rid of unwanted content/functionality and to introduce my own functionality).  It's largely useless now.  And I feel that's the real reason (maintaining ad revenue as opposed to "surfer security").

And as much as I'm a fan of Android, there's a great deal of google interaction that can't be gotten rid of without a rooted device.  Still better than dealing with Apple, IMO.

• Sad 1