Internet Radio

JohnA

1 hour ago, polizzio said:

Younger people are addicted to their phones.

Not long ago I saw two young women, walking side-by-side down the sidewalk, talking on their cell phones ... to each other.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Not long ago I saw two young women, walking side-by-side down the sidewalk, talking on their cell phones ... to each other.

The latency would make that awkward.  Perhaps they were in a multi-way conversation.

I just had an internet radio / Dab + / Digital yesterday.

I found a radio that I love: DETROIT INDUSTRIAL UNDERGROUND

I am here in France and I can listen to you, the USA, as if you were next, this technology is great.

Here we have a great radio on FM, world music radio and Jazz: 3DFM. But I do not know if there is the internet version, if yes I will give you the link so you can listen to some of my country

http://www.radio3dfm.com/

😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For classical, I find WDAV (a public station located at Davidson College) in the Charlotte, NC area to have a good selection, including live and semi-live performances, and excellent quality for a stream. It is available anywhere you can connect to a standard stream.

For computers, I am an Ubuntu fan as well. Linux has served me well as both a user and developer for decades. But it is not without its sore points. There are great tools and it is a straightforward development target as long as you do not have to interact directly with ALSA or systemd.

On 4/30/2019 at 6:41 AM, JohnKuthe said:

Exactly what PWK was talking about!! When he talked about NOT being a member of the General Public! For whom the Ambient genre was developed! Pablum MUSIC for The Masses!!

John Kuthe...

Do you think Eric Satie and Brian Eno made Pablum music?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Islander said:

7 minutes ago, Islander said:

Anyone CAN Look at Steve Winwood! He was fantastic at first in Spencer Davis Group, then Blind Faith, Traffic, then he kinda went to sweet shit the longer he went on!

Pablum Music is EASY! 

Johnny Thunders never made Pablum Music, he was Rock-n-Roll until the very end! I was lucky enough to see him in a STL show, early 1980's. He WAS a pretty bad heroin junkie though. 😞

John Kuthe...

On 4/30/2019 at 7:33 AM, glens said:

Hell, do a real upgrade: https://www.ubuntu.com/

Fetch a copy of the latest "long term" release, burn the image to a disc or thumb drive, boot it up and take it for a no-harm spin, at the least.

I Tried Ubuntu once, heir tag line was "It Just Works!" and IT DIDN'T FOR ME! 😞

I know, I know, HARDWARE DRIVERS! 😞 I had a cheap Wifi card in my PC which Ubuntu did not support! 

John Kuthe...

Likely it was supported, but not within the main distribution image itself.  Some hardware needs non-free (not cost, which is one of two "freedoms", though still available at no cost) blobs and/or closed-source drivers, with which it works as well if not better than under any other system.  At one time I had a wifi card that needed the driver to be installed from an additional directory on the media, but after a minute or two a window would pop up telling me so, asking would I like that done for me.  Maybe you weren't patient enough or maybe it was many releases ago?

The Debian and following derivatives (ubuntu, mint), have improved remarkably over the past five or six years. I just checked our inventory here where I work, and we have 325 linux boxes, and 117 Windows. Can you guess which ones give us the most trouble?

On 5/13/2019 at 12:41 PM, Steve P said:

There are great tools and it is a straightforward development target as long as you do not have to interact directly with ALSA or systemd.

I use a linux DAW, and my usb audio interface works superbly with ALSA, but it is simply a class compliant device, with 18 inputs and 8 outs. I would love to find a linux developer who would work with me on an audio over ip set of drivers for Ravenna.

Bruce

• 1 year later...

I missed this thread way back so thought I’d drop a line on the original topic of Internet Radio... all my devices seem to support TuneIn radio. I listen to a lot around North America but need to branch out a bit,

- CKUA this is a great station in Alberta... check out Mulligan Stew on Saturday nights 5 - 7

- any station from Kauai 

- British BBC stations

- and for @Full Range late nights with Alice Cooper who’s a great host

I try different styles of music too, no incremental cost to listen to something new/different... Reggae anyone?

I also have a lifetime subscription for Sirius so that can fill in some gaps too especially on driving to Vancouver Island... Margaritaville is channel 24! 

• Like 1

I picked up a Sangean WFR-20 about 12 years ago. Feed some active monitors in my office. OK sound.

One great feature is it downloads 1000’s of internet stations on power up. Various sorting options. Displays bit rate and if multiple streams are available. 

Do not use it for serious listening, but to find 320 kB streams. Once selected stations with multiple streams are all visible. Use the big rig to play them once located.

Psychomed from Greece has several bands. I find the classical great. There are rock, jazz, blues, several others. No compression too.

320 KB MP3 is almost CD quality. 

I am using a way too complicated player. But sounds great.

BBC Radio 3 has fantastic programming, but the 320k feed is UK only. Linn and Naim have 320k streams too. Not near the programming of Psychomed though. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 7:43 AM, Edgar said:

I find the sound quality to be highly variable, and I have yet to find a station whose quality I would rate as "excellent".

Most Net Radio stations broadcast on the MP3 format, but now some are using the AAC format, which sounds much better.  Radio Paradise, from Southern California (they started out in Paradise, but moved some years ago), is one, and The Zone 91.3, from Victoria, BC, is another.  I expect that this will become a well-received trend.