Woodstock 50

oldtimer

I relate to the shakiness.... like, back in 1969, I was 14 yr's old... and I actually asked my parents if I could go to Woodstock.... they said OK.... but it occurred to me, nothing was happening around the house, like planning a family trip... and that's about it, I never went lol... I continued to mow yard's and bought a honda 90 and put 15,000 miles on it around Dallas the first year... 

But a 50th Anniversary Festival boggles my mind, not only the logistics', but the size of the crowd, the line's, the noise, thinkin about - whats in that mud?, 

You know it will happen, the 50th Festival.... it could be everywhere, every city, the World would stop for 3 day's, while everyone argued about the Bass and the Mud lol...

Sorry but I wouldn't go if you paid me. The last one (25?) turned into a shid show with several rapes and assaults. Filthy animals, no thanks.

PS: John Fogerty was one of the best 10 concerts I have seen.

Sorry but I wouldn't go if you paid me. The last one (25?) turned into a shid show with several rapes and assaults. Filthy animals, no thanks.

How long ago did you see Fogerty? I love his music, but I saw him a month or two ago with my friend and his wife, and left feeling surprisingly underwhelmed. He played for just over an hour, and he barely spoke to the crowd between songs. It was as if he wanted to play the show and run off. Same thing happened when we saw ZZ Top perform a couple years ago. They didn’t even speak to the crowd during their whole set.

Crazy how all the artists that signed up for Woodstock have to get paid. They will try to do whatever it takes to make the show still happen. It’ll be interesting to see how this progresses.

I've pretty much given up on going to concerts to see bands I grew up with in my youth/teenage years.  At the age they are now and their range of vocals diminishing, the use of auto-tune and backing tracks, etc., I just don't care to ruin the good memories of concerts past.  Plus they just cost too darn much to go through it all.  It's one of those things again where I'd rather use that money to have a cookout at our house, feed friends, and listen to music.  But that's just me.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Drewg said:

How long ago did you see Fogerty? I love his music, but I saw him a month or two ago with my friend and his wife, and left feeling surprisingly underwhelmed. He played for just over an hour, and he barely spoke to the crowd between songs. It was as if he wanted to play the show and run off. Same thing happened when we saw ZZ Top perform a couple years ago. They didn’t even speak to the crowd during their whole set.

Crazy how all the artists that signed up for Woodstock have to get paid. They will try to do whatever it takes to make the show still happen. It’ll be interesting to see how this progresses.

Pretty sure it was back in 1996 after the settlement of his legal squabbles with Fantasy records and he was finally able to play his Creedence material after nearly 2 decades. Opened with Born On The Bayou, track one of the first album I ever bought. Ran through all of his CCR hits and worked in songs from Centerfield, etc. The crowd was pumped, folks singing along and he did several encores. Great band with Kenny Aranoff on drums.

As of now there are only a few artists of that generation I would still go to see. For most the ship has sailed and their talents with it. Not to single them out, but why go see half the Who? McCartney's voice is shot, so I am glad I saw these guys when they still had it. It's like when the great drummer Bill Bruford, (Yes, King Crimson, etc), retired at age 60. He stated he did not want to embarrass himself by making the mistakes that come naturally with age. We have all seen our sports heroes linger on the field too long, same thing with musicians. Only a handful can still bring it in their later years.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RT FAN said:

Pretty sure it was back in 1996 after the settlement of his legal squabbles with Fantasy records and he was finally able to play his Creedence material after nearly 2 decades. Opened with Born On The Bayou, track one of the first album I ever bought. Ran through all of his CCR hits and worked in songs from Centerfield, etc. The crowd was pumped, folks singing along and he did several encores. Great band with Kenny Aranoff on drums.

As of now there are only a few artists of that generation I would still go to see. For most the ship has sailed and their talents with it. Not to single them out, but why go see half the Who? McCartney's voice is shot, so I am glad I saw these guys when they still had it. It's like when the great drummer Bill Bruford, (Yes, King Crimson, etc), retired at age 60. He stated he did not want to embarrass himself by making the mistakes that come naturally with age. We have all seen our sports heroes linger on the field too long, same thing with musicians. Only a handful can still bring it in their later years.

There is a video on Youtube of Ginger Baker doing his Toad drum solo. I can see why there was a big circle of people around him in utter silence as he played those drums. Now the thing is the video was done when he was playing the Albert Hall in 2011. My favorite all time drum solo and the old gray haired dude does not miss one beat.

2 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

It would be fun/interesting/humbling if they set aside a seating arrangement just for those who attended the 1st Woodstock. 

All 5 still living?  Or the thousands who have lied about being there?

14 hours ago, Dave A said:

There is a video on Youtube of Ginger Baker doing his Toad drum solo. I can see why there was a big circle of people around him in utter silence as he played those drums. Now the thing is the video was done when he was playing the Albert Hall in 2011. My favorite all time drum solo and the old gray haired dude does not miss one beat.

I saw the Cream reunion tour here at Madison Square Garden and that they were great. They were not going to go out there and embarrass themselves. Opening with 'I'm So Glad" they tore it up. Ginger and Jack brought great emotion with their playing and Clapton was his typical stoic self, little to no interaction with the audience with note perfect playing. Live Cream Vol. 2 was one of the first 5 albums I bought with money from my paper route, so I have been listening to them for a long time.

2 hours ago, RT FAN said:

I saw the Cream reunion tour here at Madison Square Garden and that they were great. They were not going to go out there and embarrass themselves. Opening with 'I'm So Glad" they tore it up. Ginger and Jack brought great emotion with their playing and Clapton was his typical stoic self, little to no interaction with the audience with note perfect playing. Live Cream Vol. 2 was one of the first 5 albums I bought with money from my paper route, so I have been listening to them for a long time.

Wheels of Fire and Disreali Gears two of my favorites. Wonder if they pondered all those wasted years apart at the peak of their talents?

19 hours ago, RT FAN said:

It's close to insulting that they call it "Woodstock 50"....How about Watkins Glen 1?

5 hours ago, Dave A said:

Wheels of Fire and Disreali Gears two of my favorites. Wonder if they pondered all those wasted years apart at the peak of their talents?

Dave A, I think they believed that the band had run it's course and that the white boys blues-->acid rock jams/excess era was over. You have to remember that Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were not friends by any stretch of the imagination. Basically they hated each other. Clapton stated that after listening to the debut album by The Band, he said this is what I want to be playing, roots music. I think Blind Faith was an attempt to veer off in that direction and EC enjoyed playing with Delaney & Bonnie, the opening act on Blind Faith's only tour. Of course Clapton later became a captive to his drug habit and was unable to play publically or commit to being in a band.

14 minutes ago, RT FAN said:

Dave A, I think they believed that the band had run it's course and that the white boys blues-->acid rock jams/excess era was over. You have to remember that Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were not friends by any stretch of the imagination. Basically they hated each other. Clapton stated that after listening to the debut album by The Band, he said this is what I want to be playing, roots music. I think Blind Faith was an attempt to veer off in that direction and EC enjoyed playing with Delaney & Bonnie, the opening act on Blind Faith's only tour. Of course Clapton later became a captive to his drug habit and was unable to play publically or commit to being in a band.

I never knew what caused the breakup. For my tastes the very best that came from any of them was the Cream years. Some good stuff from Clapton later on but never as good. I find it interesting that this older music is getting rediscovered and my adult kids are amazed at the caliber of musicians from back then compared to now. My grand kids are a bit amazed too when I tell them that cool song is 50 years old. Then I catch them listening to these oldies and getting rid of that rap and hip hop no talent current garbage they were listening to.

They were all young and powerful players in those days. I can still listen to certain Cream songs, i.e. the live version of "Crossroads" is still one of my all time great rock & roll songs. "I'm So Glad", "Deserted Cities Of The Heart", etc. Over time I have found that Derek & The Dominos has aged somewhat better. Perhaps that is due to my affinity for Duane Allman's playing. YMMV