The Jubes at Pilgrimage

Yes kiddies, your resident Jubilee hater, (I don't care what they sound like, they're damn ugly......) is I think, finally making the mental turnaround to: (I don't care how ugly they are, they sound damn good, if not actually miraculous....)  Not withstanding the somewhat "interesting" selection of music to demo them.....this would be my third year hearing them in the Hope demo room, and I guess I must be thick for it to take this long.....  A new friend of mine that I met in Hope and had some great conversation with out by the pool at the Super 8, suggested that next year perhaps we should have an auction for listening time (perhaps with Roy) in the Jube demo room.  Our music choice of course.....I think that's a splendid idea.

@richieb, there you go....You're welcome.  Hope you've had a nice trip.

@Chief bonehead  You know I love you

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

A new friend of mine that I met in Hope and had some great conversation with out by the pool at the Super 8, suggested that next year perhaps we should have an auction for listening time (perhaps with Roy) in the Jube demo room.  Our music choice of course.....I think that's a splendid idea.

I like it! Excellent idea.

15 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes kiddies, your resident Jubilee hater, (I don't care what they sound like, they're damn ugly......) is I think, finally making the mental turnaround to: (I don't care how ugly they are, they sound damn good, if not actually miraculous....)  Not withstanding the somewhat "interesting" selection of music to demo them.....this would be my third year hearing them in the Hope demo room, and I guess I must be thick for it to take this long.....  A new friend of mine that I met in Hope and had some great conversation with out by the pool at the Super 8, suggested that next year perhaps we should have an auction for listening time (perhaps with Roy) in the Jube demo room.  Our music choice of course.....I think that's a splendid idea.

=== well, there goes the neighborhood 😩 and Jubes be damned - at least you have a new friend —

(yes we did, Thanks)

6 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Should I  bring a pie, or perhaps some tuna noodle casserole?

=== pie. Coffee will be provided.

xxx - Was the demo with the Tool Shed tube amp or solid state?

And what have you found to your liking? And your impression KHorn to Jube? Although if memory serves they are played in different rooms which in itself makes your comparison difficult — 

Solid state.  Crown amps I believe.  

The "presence" of the music was just so much more evident than what I can compare at 94 to 95 db to Khorns, it wasn't even close.  Yes, different rooms, but I'm trying to reference my Khorns mostly in my head.   Not the greatest room, but that probably makes them even more impressive.

Now looking for horn grills........ 

• Moderators
19 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

With the "auction" to benefit the museum!!!!  

• Like 1

Pro gear IS better Jim. I always figured if looks were important then a silk screen hanging of some sort could cover the front of ugly so your music could be pretty. You need to hear a set of KPT 456's or newer equivalent too and then you too will be doomed.

• Like 1

Years ago I finally had the lab listening room alone with two cds in my pocket. I picked one pop'd in the first cd track starts and I'm really excited.... Then for some unknown reason Travis walks in and ejects the CD and takes the CD player...The expletives going through my head were creative.. I don't think I've forgiven him for that moment to this day but now i have jubs with k403's so it all worked out....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

I have heard a system that was clearly above mine, more musical although less accurate. You can put bad recordings on it and it is still sounds great. One of our esteemed members heard this system and said his tricked out khorns sounded like an AM radio.... I wouldnt trade my Jubs for this crazy system we both heard, unless i wanted to make a big profit.  Once you have heard Jubs and great recordings they are hard to beat! Our member just upgraded his system in the last 6 years with some oris horns and bms drivers and it sounds great now... Jubs are just clearer to may ears then Khorns, have much more presence, balance, image better, and can control a large or even a small space.... 

10 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Perhaps a half and half split between the museum and supporting the following years Pilgrimage.  Just a thought.

Or maybe they just bring the Jubs to Rodney's or the Super 8 and give us some quality time with them to listen as we choose.  Just another thought.:wink:

Yes but remember the goals of PWK to best the khorns were met with the jubilee.  Two way, lower distortion, wider bandwidth, and smoother response. Not an easy task.

Also high effeciency horn systems are true to source. It will show the recordings for what they are which is as it should be. I don't want a system that glosses over everything and homogenizes the sound. Screw that 8-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Or maybe they just bring the Jubs to Rodney's or the Super 8 and give us some quality time with them to listen as we choose.  Just another thought.:wink:

=== Jubes and 1802, maybe 1502 were at Rodney’s at the 2018 event. Was difficult to get a grasp on how they would sound in a typical home setting as they were played somewhat on the “Loud” side. Like yelling to speak to someone side. Oh yeah, they sound good at low, normal and “huh, can’t hear you volumes” — trust me, I’m here to help you —

• Like 1

Was involved in some Jubes reading on FB.

Much of my wood furniture compliments the Belles.

At this point in life the beauty of the room is important to the listening experience.

My wife has never seen K Horns except in photos. To be continued...

On 4/30/2019 at 5:51 PM, jimjimbo said:

What a great idea.. It must have been the bourbon..

On 4/30/2019 at 8:51 PM, jimjimbo said:

I don't care what they sound like, they're damn ugly......

Makes me smile.  Helps to affirm different strokes for different folks.

I personally think they look very nice.  (and I have the black version)

Could they be nicer looking, sure....  but for me it's sound first looks second.  I enjoy seeing their open fronts.