When are speakers too low?

Czilla9000

Hi - 

I live in a 1 bedroom furnished apartment. Landlord mounted the TV 45 inches off the ground, with 57 inches from floor-to-center of screen. 

The simplest solution for sound are some floorstanders. I've thought of getting some Heresy's for sound. But I'm worried the sound will be too "low", and therefore will sound disconnected from the screen. And I don't know what the heck I could use as a stand. 

Even "normal" floor standers usually go up to 36 inches, so I'm worried I'd even have a problem with them.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? What should I do?

In my set up for HT, I’ve got Heresys for L/C/R the L/R are on the floor, with the center sitting higher than the L/R. Out of necessity, the TV sits too high even higher than yours. I don’t think it is an issue. I say give it a try. If it doesn’t work, they can always sit on something like end tables or stands. It could even be used as extra storage space. 

An outstanding alternative to the Heresy would be a pair of RP-600M on 24" stands.  Use the MTM center of your choice for a 3.1 setup.

These are RP-600M on 18" stands.  The 24" stands would bring them up to ear height while seated.

1140702457_RP-600Mlivingroomseascene_400.thumb.jpg.a098e471533630c61e1e9e9c62275f67.jpg

My son replaced a crummy sound bar with the black speakers shown below.  His TV is mounted above a fireplace.  The speakers sit on wedge shaped dense foam, as shown.  At the listening position on the couch, the tweeters are firing directly at the listener.  He uses the system primarily for movies and gaming.  The TV integrates nicely with the speakers.  In any case, it's a tremendous improvement over the sound bar immediately below the TV.  

YMMV

A7137CDE-AC83-49CE-919D-DBEFAECEBD92.jpeg.5b5debf6a7a3cfcf3260440d591e6dee.jpegWithF6097CCE-B631-49C0-8199-639200952CF3.thumb.jpeg.deb77c4c47f7c3e8ec43aa81df53f3c8.jpeg.

6 hours ago, Czilla9000 said:

Thanks everyone - out of curiosity, does anyone use subwoofers as Heresy stands (which I guess would be a 2.2 setup). 

I don't but some do.  It is a wonderful to get your stands and subs all in one.

Bill