Rare Klipschorn in Illinois, Serial #175 "Klipsch Sound Reproducer", Klipsch & Associates

Oicu812

2 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

I love the THIN cross section you see in the front horizontal boards...

The thin-ness you like is pretty much a dead giveaway that this speaker was likely originally shipped as a decorator...fir-lacquered.....The unit originally arrived as just a bass bin, with, at best a mid-horn atop the bin, but no HF enclosure….So, all of the walnut-veneered panels and such WERE ADDED AFTER THE FACT...likely WELL-AFTER the fact!  I am not even sure if the B and C style had been locked-in at the time of this factory build!  I would imagine they hadn't, but whomever did the conversion apparently did their best to make them like the collared B style!  PWK himself already had the B-style sketched out before the end of the 1940's...calling it the "style 7" at the time, but I have no ACTUAL CLUE as to when the factory actually began producing  that particular style in fine veneers.  Either way, I am quite sure that the panels used would have been 3/4" instead of 1/2" in thickness.

You can check with @JRH in the historian section, though!

khornunfinished.thumb.jpg.a256098df0c1b0e7f1c579cf4fbe3d0e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

looks like it's a 2 way.... from a Chicago suburb...  I'm still going to watch it for the next 6 1/2 day's, thank you for posting... 

the thinness of the top hat, receded about 3/4" back (from the front), resembles the architecture of my '54... 

1 hour ago, Oicu812 said:

In 1949, stereo wasn't really a "thing" yet.  People bought 1 speaker, and you only had a single mono wire.  ;)

And that is why PWK designed his SUPPLEMENTARY speakers for MONO...the H-style (HERESY), the Cornwall, etc.....for use in the diagonally opposite corner from the K-horn or in another room...both of these eventually evolved into stand-alone speakers, sold individually or later, in pairs!  VERY FEW buyers had stereo until the early 1960's much less a three-speaker-stereo array, which was what PWK was VERY FOND OF!  The reason why few had stereo is because you had to RECORD IT YOURSELF in stereo!  There was simply no other way to get the material other than self-recorded in the early days!  It wasn't even until the mid-1960's that singles (45 RPM) started to be in stereo...there were separate versions for stereo albums and singles! production!

• Like 1

I had a a K-5-J horn like what is on top and it's a very good sounding horn, likely built by PWK himself at the time. The 802 driver from Altec is a good one. Would need new capacitors, minimally but I'm sure the rest works fine still. What a jem!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 6:32 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

And that is why PWK designed his SUPPLEMENTARY speakers for MONO...the H-style (HERESY), the Cornwall, etc.....for use in the diagonally opposite corner from the K-horn or in another room...both of these eventually evolved into stand-alone speakers, sold individually or later, in pairs!  VERY FEW buyers had stereo until the early 1960's much less a three-speaker-stereo array, which was what PWK was VERY FOND OF!  The reason why few had stereo is because you had to RECORD IT YOURSELF in stereo!  There was simply no other way to get the material other than self-recorded in the early days!  It wasn't even until the mid-1960's that singles (45 RPM) started to be in stereo...there were separate versions for stereo albums and singles! production!

My oldest, and one of the best, stereo recordings is from 1956. Recorded at the 1956 Gabrieli Festival at St. Marks in Venice. Pretty extraordinary...

Dave

58 minutes ago, Mallette said:

My oldest, and one of the best, stereo recordings is from 1956. Recorded at the 1956 Gabrieli Festival at St. Marks in Venice. Pretty extraordinary...

Dave

Was that released on vinyl years later...or maybe on reel closer to when it was recorded?

12 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Was that released on vinyl years later...or maybe on reel closer to when it was recorded?

Apologies...memory was wrong. Recorded 1958. Can't locate any info on the Cook record, just on  Vanguard and Bach Guild re-releases later in the '60s.

Going to keep looking for the one that I have. Might add that my sister bought a portable stereo record player in 1959. She didn't spring for the extra speaker so I didn't hear stereo for a couple of more years. My mom purchased an RCA console in about 1963, which I upgraded the speakers in about 1965 with a pair of Voice of Music drivers I took from my high school and replaced with the ones from the RCA. MUCH improved! Didn't get a life of crime habit, but did get the upgrade bug which has never been cured.

Dave

9 hours ago, johknow4@gmail.com said:

I purchased this K-horn this morning. I will update once I have it in my home.

In information anyone has is welcomed.

Johnie

Congratulations!!!!!

We would love to see pics. Mmmmmm

12 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Movie audiences got to hear stereo (4 channels, but over 90 sound locations in the theater, with movement around the theater, and up and down the main aisles) in Disney's Fantasia in 1940 (see Scientific American, Jan 1941, Peck)

They heard it again in 1952 (7 channels, magnetic) in This is Cinerama.  From 1953 on, virtually all CinemaScope movies were in 4 channel magnetic stereo, until Fox dropped the ball a few years later.  All 70mm Todd-AO films were in 6 channel magnetic stereo.  The recording of Around the World in 80 Days (1956) in Todd-AO was one of the best, most dynamic, orchestral recordings I've ever heard.  It is not quite as good on the Blu-ray, and is atrocious on both the mono and stereo Lp soundtrack versions.  Both Todd-AO and Cinerama recorded the original music elements on a separate 35mm magnetic film, at 30 ips (at first).  And the beat went on.

By the time Stereo vinyl Lp records came out in 1958, people had  long been wondering why there was a hold-up.

RCA, Mercury, Bel Canto and some other labels had started recording on reel to reel tape in stereo (2 and 3 channels) a few years before, and brought forward their old tapes and transferred them to vinyl.