Hoping for identification

Rob M.

On 5/4/2019 at 3:16 PM, Budman said:

JMON, laser logo's were used for 3 years 76-77-78

You are correct, but the laser logo's did not run the full calendar year of 1978.  The changeover was made sometime in 1978.  Ask me how I know.  😉

1 hour ago, JMON said:

You are correct, but the laser logo's did not run the full calendar year of 1978.  The changeover was made sometime in 1978.  Ask me how I know.  😉

Additionally....they did not run the full calendar year of 1976, either...not even CLOSE!!...since they started being REQUIRED for use at the end of that year!...and even MORE "additionally" if somebody requested a previously-used logo, and there were some still around...they could get them on their speakers...so using Logos for identification of times produced is pretty much NOT a very good plan, IMHO!  We were still shipping speakers with pie-slice logos even into the 1980's!...if requested...but eventually the employees hid the ones still remaining so that they could have them for their own speakers not yet even purchased or built!  The employees ALWAYS liked the PWK pie-slice logos the best!!...because they loved the man who designed them!  The eliminaton of the "PWK" emblem on logos was due to somebody who ended up with controlling stock of the company and literally TOLD PWK that what he "wanted didn't make much difference anymore" at a board meeting...bad plan!...and he was NOT around that many months after that happened, either...due to his OWN doing, in other things!  And, quite honestly, the employees, for the most part, were happy to see it happen!  Not only that...but in some cases even using the serial numbers for identification of WHEN a speaker was built...is erroneous...since employees would get SPECIAL privilege on certain ones of those, also!....Such as, for instance consecutive numbers ending with "00" and "01"...or "99" and "00".....which would be set aside once final assembly knew that an employee was gonna get a pair of....whatever...even though it may be over a year AT TIMES before they were completed...LOL! 

• Like 1

Let's discuss the two early types of the PWK "pie-slice" logos: 

1. One which was designed to be attached using two brads, and therefore had two little holes in it in order to facilitate that:

This one came about in the 1960's, and they were ORIGNALLY attached to the speakers prior to shipment, in the same basic location (top-right corner) on all speakers prior to shipment

However, many purchasers had expressed the desire to have the logo attached elsewhere, and they were accommodated for a time, but the problem was that some purchasers did not express that desire prior to shipment!  SO they would invariably try to remove the logo and re-position it...which would often cause the logo itself to break during removal.  This would prompt the purchaser to request another logo.  Not only that, but some purchasers of Matched pairs, wanted the logos in opposite mirror-imaged positions, and again failed to express that desire when ordering.  Also, those who purchased DECORATOR models tended to want the logos shipped with the speakers UNATTACHED...so that they could stain and finish the cabinets and make other modifications like adding grille-cloth and trim prior to attaching the logos.  SO, things evolved to shipping ALL of the speakers with the logos in a separate envelope which also contained the brads, and which was stapled to the speaker rear panel.  Even this did NOT solve the problem of breakage of the logos from re-positioning, or them being damaged while the purchasers attempted to mount them...so the solution was to come out with a version which did NOT need to be attached with brads.

2. One which was NOT designed to be attached using brads, and therefore did NOT have two little holes in it:  This was the solution to the above issues.  They were also stuck into envelopes and stapled onto the cabinet rear panel.  Instructions on how to glue them on were also in the envelopes.  But that did not solve all of the problems...because of using the glue to attach them.  So the final solution was to provide them ready to install using double-sided "industrial-strength sticky tape" on the backs of the logos.

So, whenever somebody runs across old Klipsch speakers with the PWK "pie-slice" logos, they may find that the location of those logos on the speakers are seldom in the same places "as would be expected"! 

As for the rectangular Klipsch logos...they were introduced to end the hassle once and for all....being mounted prior to shipping in the center of the speaker grille cloth panel above the tweeter lens opening for all speakers shipped!

On 5/7/2019 at 1:24 AM, JMON said:

alright i'll bite   how do you know

On 5/7/2019 at 1:24 AM, JMON said:

Yea.....how do you know?

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned two sets of 1978 Klipschorns (both Walnut Oil).  The older one had the laser badges and the newer one had the badges that are shown on the Belles in this thread.

You can probably guess that Klipsch did not wait until the calendar changed to January 1st, 1979 to make the switch.  They used up all the laser badges and made the switch then -- on whatever day of the calendar that happened to be.

• Like 1