Skylan Stand for RB-75

I received the Skylan stands I ordered for my RB-75s yesterday. It was not an easy decision to order these as stands can be found for much less than I paid, $385/shipped. However my only experience with speaker stands is when I used Sanus NF30 with RB5s and I remember how unstable they were. I didn't want that issue with the RB-75 so I bit the bullet and ordered these custom from Skylan. The owner Noel was easy to communicate with and I gave him the specs of the RB-75 and he determined that a 22" stand was the most appropriate height for me. From an aesthetics standpoint I did not think a 4-post stand would look right under such a tall bookshelf speaker. Noel confirmed that the 2-post version would support the weight and the base of this stand was also large enough to support the width and depth. The top plate was made to match the RB-75. After assembling and filling with rice, per Noel's recommendation, each stand weighs 21.6 lbs. Each of the square tubes holds between 5 and 6 lbs of rice. I bought 4 10# bags of rice from a local bulk foods store (Winco) and have 1 1/2 bags leftover. @ $.60/lb it wasn't expensive to fill the stands and rice is easier to clean up than kitty litter which is the other material recommended by Noel to be used to fill his stands.

I am very happy with the stands. The top and bottom plate have a really nice texture to them as do the square posts. Assembly was a breeze and the packaging was done very well. These stands are sturdy and I cannot imagine the speakers ever being accidentally knocked off.

I'm not one to be able to give a critical review of their sonic influence but I can say that they look nice, are made from quality materials and provide a very stable stand for my speakers. I feel good about my purchase even though they are twice the price of the Pangea DS400 and B7W STAV 24 and over 3X Monoprice Monoliths. 

IMG_9434.JPG

For those who do like the look of a four post stand with smaller cabinet loudspeakers Noel at Skylan has a brand new smaller rectangular column available now. This work with speakers with woofers as small as 5". So far as damping goes We did some recent tests with a new pair of four post stands under my Tannoy Mercury 7.2 (has 6.5" woofer) and found that filling each stand just 1/3 full resulted in the best sound quality. Filling to the top over damped the speaker. Noel is a first class gentleman to work with and he has an amazing eye for proportion. 

Skylan Stands.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moray james said:

For those who do like the look of a four post stand with smaller cabinet loudspeakers Noel at Skylan has a brand new smaller rectangular column available now. This work with speakers with woofers as small as 5". So far as damping goes We did some recent tests with a new pair of four post stands under my Tannoy Mercury 7.2 (has 6.5" woofer) and found that filling each stand just 1/3 full resulted in the best sound quality. Filling to the top over damped the speaker. Noel is a first class gentleman to work with and he has an amazing eye for proportion. 

Skylan Stands.jpg

Noel knows what he’s talking about.  He’s done enough experimenting to find out what works best.  I bought a 4-level electronics stand from Skylan, and it seems to be well-damped and solid.  It’s also designed to be used with either main face to the front, so if the front gets scratched or otherwise damaged, you can turn the stand around and still have a brand-new-looking front face.

Finally, the stand is designed so it can be assembled in various configurations, to suit the different heights of the various components of your gear.  If you replace something, it may be possible to swap some of the upright sections around to make it suit the new piece.  I’m very satisfied with it.

• Like 2