The Klipsch Audio Community
HDBRbuilder

Pilgrimage 2019 Chief Bonehead chats: LaScala/Jubes

A couple of weeks ago, while talking to Jim Hunter, he brought up the development of the MWM.  He was not yet on-board with Klipsch when the MWM was developed, but he noted that Gary Gillum and others were with PWK during the discussions preceding the MWM development, and PWK casually mentioned turning a La Scala around so that it was firing directly into a room corner in order to see the effect and "taking that effect into consideration" to get the idea of what would happen with what would become the MWM.  IOW, PWK was convincing his team that the general concept could be approximated by just firing the La Scala into the room corner, using that corner as an extension of the horn lens.

This makes me think about just what the "approximation effect" would be to fire an MWM into a room corner, using that corner as an extension of the MWM horn lens??

Apples and oranges??  Maybe...maybe not!  

Has anybody tried this??  Has anybody even considered it?...or much less, even MODELED IT?  If so, just HOW MUCH MORE floor space would be required for the foot-print of something like this?  And...how LOW would it go in frequency response achieved?

WHO SAYS that a subwoofer NEEDS to be INSIDE the "listening room", anyway?  Why can't just the MOUTH of the bass horn lens be inside of the room, with the body of the horn lens being, for instance, in the BASEMENT?...or in an adjacent room?  Could this feature actually be DESIGNED into a home plan??  Why, or why not?

After all...we already know that totally deaf people can dance solely based upon the low frequency "beats" that their body mass feels from the music being played...so why are we concentrating so much on EARS and "sweet spots" when the extreme bottom-end frequencies are just "fooling our brains" INTO THINKING WE ARE "HEARING" THEM??

I tend to think outside of the box...it is an old airborne infantryman thing!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

A couple of weeks ago, while talking to Jim Hunter, he brought up the development of the MWM.  He was not yet on-board with Klipsch when the MWM was developed, but he noted that Gary Gillum and others were with PWK during the discussions preceding the MWM development, and PWK casually mentioned turning a La Scala around so that it was firing directly into a room corner in order to see the effect and "taking that effect into consideration" to get the idea of what would happen with what would become the MWM.  IOW, PWK was convincing his team that the general concept could be approximated by just firing the La Scala into the room corner, using that corner as an extension of the horn lens.

This makes me think about just what the "approximation effect" would be to fire an MWM into a room corner, using that corner as an extension of the MWM horn lens??

Has anybody tried this??  Has anybody even considered it?...or much less, even MODELED IT?  If so, just HOW MUCH MORE floor space would be required for the foot-print of something like this?  And...how LOW would it go in frequency response achieved?

WHO SAYS that a subwoofer NEEDS to be INSIDE the "listening room", anyway?  Why can't just the MOUTH of the bass horn lens be inside of the room, with the body of the horn lens being, for instance, in the BASEMENT?...or in an adjacent room?  Could this feature actually be DESIGNED into a home plan??  Why, or why not?

After all...we already know that totally deaf people can dance solely based upon the low frequency "beats" that their body mass feels from the music being played...so why are we concentrating so much on EARS and "sweet spots" when the extreme bottom-end frequencies are just "fooling our brains" INTO THINKING WE ARE "HEARING" THEM??

Sounds like a good project for you. When are you starting? :D

On 8/22/2019 at 1:00 PM, Dave A said:

I believe this is done a lot, not always with horns. I think Carl has some IB subs. @CECAA850  Perhaps he can post a couple pics (I know he has, but I'm having a hard time finding them).

On 8/22/2019 at 11:46 AM, HDBRbuilder said:

I have always liked the way you think.  Let's try it!!!

On 8/22/2019 at 11:46 AM, HDBRbuilder said:

You think he will let us try it in October?