Promedia 4.1 dead

USER876

The sub died on my promedia 4.1 system and now it doesn't even turn on.  Looks like a resistor was fried (burned) but replacement didn't work.  Is this system garbage now or is there a way to get it fixed economically.  Anyone sell the plate amps that I could try to replace?

There is a reliable vendor on eBay with whom I have no connection who had offered a repair service for these. He can be found by searching for stpeteshepherd . His pricing is average, but he has 100% feedback for more than 3,000 transactions. The issue with the early 2.1 failures and later, the 4.1, was heat. But it is still some of the best sound you can get for that amount of money. I have a 14 year old 2.1 at home that has never missed a beat and I have another one that is fried.

Edited by JGT914

Oh yeah I had a Pro Media 2.1 system that lasted about 3 or 4 years. Amp bit the dust. I now have a vastly superior system at my desktop pc that I put together and at a very reasonable cost. Music actually sounds better at my desk/computer than my living room.

A plate amp will power the sub box, but additional amplification and crossovers will be required for the external speakers and the audio control pod system will not function. If it were me and I was set on that system (they are getting harder and harder to find) I would spring to have it repaired or acquire another one. Most of the autopsies on these traced the failure to bad caps, cooked resistors or a combination thereof and the occasional failed power transformer. If you opt for a plate amp solution to keep the sub, you are free to pick and choose your other components.

Edited by JGT914

OP, here is another option out there. Purchase this mini 2.1 amp and convert your 4.1 to 2.1 system. It'll cost ya $77 delivered and a little time cutting wires and re-terminating. You would have to open up the woofer module and solder a lead from Fosi amp and disconnect the OEM internal amp. I purchased one of Fosi's mini stereo amps (class D) back in January. Simply amazing for the price, clean output, and the bass and treble adjustments are wonderful. Driving a pair of Elac Debut 6.2 speakers I picked up for half off at my desktop pc. You wouldn't believe how good it sounds. The pots/knobs are high quality. I like the Fosi so much I have considered purchasing a spare, just because. I have no doubt this little amp could drive my Cornwalls quite well, from either my cd player or mp3 player output. Its amazing what the global marketplace offers from China. I ordered two 110v on/off switches delivered to me from China (ebay) for $1.15 

Unbelievable. And a 18 month warranty on the Fosi, has great reviews on amazon too. Mine included.

link to amp at amazon: