old school Klipsch LaScala

jlong

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, I've found over the years that using ABF freight is very reasonable for shipping large speakers long distances!  The speakers should be packed well and protected and strapped to a pallet, though!  Also you will seldom get them home-picked-up...that is a DIY deal...the same for being home-delivered!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now to make the decision re: re-furbish, ALK, Crites or Klipsch Heritage Upgraded AL-4 package for $1200.  

The OEM AA networks sound good but hey- it's of mid 70's lineage so it's time to ensure that they continue for another 40+ years. K77 Round, K55-V appear to be OEM, haven't dropped the bottom to visually see the woofer.  These worked in a Bingo Hall in Livermore CA for a few decades and then for 2 more decades in a smoking environment.  I was shocked that they functioned so well.   I just wish there were some forum members in Central California that would permit me to listen to a few different options.  I've got about 80 hours of reading about balancing networks on-line and now I'm in full IO (information overload).   If there are any members that would be kind enough for me to hear some balancing networks in a Lascala in CA, please let me know.  I'm driving to Sacramento on Saturday to hear a new pair of Lascala II's.  (200 miles to the closest Heritage dealer)  Uhg ...but its a good kind of ugh;)

Resistances:  K77=6.5 ohm Left/6.8ohm Right.  K55V=10.7ohm Left/11.0ohm Right. And the Woofers=3.7ohm Left/3.5 Right

Left Speaker Network Capacitors: Aerovox 100V 2uf from left to right on network: 6.9ohm, 1.4ohm and the 13uf is 4.5 ohms.

Right Speaker Network Capacitors: Aerovox 100V 2uf from left to right on network: 7.1ohm,  1.3ohm and the 13uf is 4.5 ohms.

Any suggestions?  A Loaded question no doubt but my prior speakers were RF-280F's fed by an Oppo-205 and a PrimaLuna EVO300 with KT150's and occasionally EL34 valves.  Other valves on amp are factory PrimaLuna.

Network AA Lascala.jpg

Lascala Speaker.jpg

K77.jpg

Lascala Rear.jpg

Edited by CAMike
pics

45 minutes ago, CAMike said:

Left Speaker Network Capacitors: Aerovox 100V 2uf from left to right on network: 6.9ohm, 1.4ohm and the 13uf is 4.5 ohms.

Right Speaker Network Capacitors: Aerovox 100V 2uf from left to right on network: 7.1ohm,  1.3ohm and the 13uf is 4.5 ohms.

This isn't a valid measurement for caps, but that's OK, you need to either to replace the caps or replace the entire network.

9 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

This isn't a valid measurement for caps, but that's OK, you need to either to replace the caps or replace the entire network.

I had a feeling that might be the case.  I left all the wires attached and put the probes on each Capacitor.  Understood. Thanks.  

I've tired to search what the differences are between the AL-4 and AL-5 network without luck.  I ask because the Klipsch Lascala Upgrade package is a proven set of hardware with the AL-4 and associated OEM transducers.  By chance do you know what makes up the AL-5 network?  Or is that still PWK Inc. propriety privilege since it's a new product?

Edited by CAMike

Spec sheet for the AL-5.  Seriously doubt that the network schematic is in the public domain.

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/La-Scala-2018-Spec-Sheet-v01-1.pdf

Considering you have an older cabinet, my recommendation would be to go with the CT120 tweeters, A55G mids and a new AA network, all from Crites.  These are all proven to work very well together and sound great.  You could also replace the woofers if you want, and if you are going to go that route, I would suggest the Eminence Kappa 15C from Parts Express.  All of the above I have done many times with great success.

You can then sell off the parts you replaced to recoup a portion of your costs.

The La Scala II is sufficiently different from the original La Scala that a new crossover was required.  Accordingly, installing an AL-4 or AL-5 crossover might not be an improvement.  The AA crossovers are very popular among Forum members.  I use them in my own La Scalas, with Bob Crites’s Sonicaps, and I’m very happy with the sound of the speakers.

• Like 1

Great info jimjimbo and Islander, thank you.  I appreciate your input.

You're right, the AA sounds great.  I will indeed replace the woofer as well.   Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the accuracy of the OEM Lascala lower but I want to get as much bass out of it as I can before I consider adding the 12" bass box with dual 4 inch ports that are 7 inches long.  Any suggestions for improving the LF response without adding the lower box?  Or is the bottom box more or less a mandatory for the older Lascala?

(I have a poor history of product longevity with self powered subs.)