That ‘70s speaker (sort of a Cornscala E maybe?)

My work on my new speakers is not over, still a little more fine tuning. They may be considered sort of a Cornscala E? These guys are capable of two way and three way operation. I’d remove the center spacer if I wanted to keep it 3 way and I’m leaning that way. The cab is designed for F3 of 39HZ, they are roughly 99db/w/m and use second order Bessel crossovers at 600/3.5k. I have changed a couple things from the straight calculation but man it sounds really good. I am not quite certain on placement on the AMT, but over the center of the Faital Pro comp driver sounds right. 

Some of my audiophile buddies showed up for a four hour marathon listening session last night. That was super fun. 

I am very unsophisticated with respect to cabinetry, amongst other things so, I had them built and I gleaned crossover tips from scouring countless threads and using crossover calculators.  

I have dubbed these “That 70s Speaker” for their slight and intentional resemblance to the Altec M19s and use of the ESS AMT in the three way config.  

B18BDAA6-2EBC-4B36-A9A0-C64ADE10C044.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rplace said:

Look great, bet they sound better. Any thoughts of an active crossover down the road? You can try endless combos anytime you want.

If you've got any other responsibilities, maybe better to not go down that route.  Time can really disappear when a can of worms like that gets opened!  Hahaha!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Very nice. Cool "Wizard of Oz" curtain hiding the equipment...........

Shakey

I had Cornwalls in those corners before and I used my curtains to hide the TV per Chris’ advice. I don’t really need them with these guys. But that window does face West so yes, it’s good to keep the evening sun out of my eyes. :)

43 minutes ago, rplace said:

Look great, bet they sound better. Any thoughts of an active crossover down the road? You can try endless combos anytime you want.

Thanks. I did this project with the goal of passive crossover unless I absolutely needed to go active. As Glens suggested, my OCD would mean I might melt down with so many options. But they sound so good now I’m thinking I can stay passive. I think. 

• Like 1

With the 8 ohm HF146, I’m taking 10-11db off with the crites 3636 autoformer and I think I prefer the AMT more forward, like nearly at the front edge. I’m guessing that’s because the AMTs sound better a little farther from the back wall.  

If pinpoint imagery was my #1 priority it’d be hard to best these guys in 2 way.  

OCD sucks.