Pepper season is on

Max2

I left my plants out all winter secretly hoping that some would die.  I had way too many last year.  I think that maybe 8 or so plants made it and I have small peppers growing already.  Goathorns flowered and fruited first.

• Moderators

Just ornamental peppers for me but I left them out overwinter and for some reason one made it. I just cut it back a little and it's taking off and starting to make flowers. The rest of the pots on the patio are dead, never had time to mess with them yet.

C088EBFB-8FC3-467E-AF20-1895026CBC4A.jpeg

Its been a very wet fall and spring around here.  We also had a couple of pop up frosts early/mid April that kept all my plants out of the ground until this weekend.  On a good note, my garden was filled with fish over the winter and an updated sprinkler system, so I'm hoping as good of a harvest, or better as last year.   I have Ghost's, Tabasco, Anaheim's, Habs, ****, Japps, Shishido and some funky Mex Hot Bells that I found.  Would like to find an Asian plant or two to add to the mix.  Just found out our 7 month old mutt like Strawberries, so gonna have to keep an eye on him when he is in the garden. The wife picked up an oddball "Orange" Lime bush that I hope will add a different citrus tone to a sauce.

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Just ornamental peppers for me but I left them out overwinter and for some reason one made it. I just cut it back a little and it's taking off and starting to make flowers. The rest of the pots on the patio are dead, never had time to mess with them yet.

C088EBFB-8FC3-467E-AF20-1895026CBC4A.jpeg

I love ornamentals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I left my plants out all winter secretly hoping that some would die.  I had way too many last year.  I think that maybe 8 or so plants made it and I have small peppers growing already.  Goathorns flowered and fruited first.

The bonuses of the deep south. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes, your right, they are edible and quite hot, I did look them up to know just in case someone wanted to try one.

My grandson picked a bright yellow/orange one last summer and said it was a carrot and wanted to eat it, I tried to explain. But the 5-year-old who knows everything wanted to argue with me so I told him to eat it. He bit in half and chewed, for about 10 seconds and spit it out, but knowing everything he now calls them hot carrots but does not want to try it again.  

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Ghost, Orange Habanero, Yellow 7 Pot, Thai, Padron, Reapers, Chinese 5 Color and a few others as the mood strikes me....

Considering you are now retired, I would have thought that you were doing at least 20 different varieties, but only 7 for sure and maybe a few others.  You need to buckle down and take the whole retirement things a bit more seriously. I keep wanting to plant a garden, but I would be better served to start making pottery with the stupid amount of clay I have.  

• Haha 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Pete H said:

You need to buckle down and take the whole retirement things a bit more seriously.

That's funny 

The next thing you notice when retired is your busier than when you were working.

• Like 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Max2 said:

I love ornamentals. 

I switched to ornamental peppers a few years ago for color and I keep the seeds to restart again each year. Which is convenient and cheaper than most annuals and they last all summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

They are also edible, and quite hot like a tabasco.

I have had plenty of Tabasco sauce but never tried the pepper itself.  You're not kidding about some ornamentals being surprisingly hot.  A buddy had some sort of Asian ornamental a few years back and those little colored buttons were blistering hot.

3 hours ago, Pete H said:

Considering you are now retired, I would have thought that you were doing at least 20 different varieties, but only 7 for sure and maybe a few others.  You need to buckle down and take the whole retirement things a bit more seriously. I keep wanting to plant a garden, but I would be better served to start making pottery with the stupid amount of clay I have.  

Our clay makes the best bricks in Texas.  Ever heard of Acme Brick?  There is a factory in town here.  I have dug up chunks of it that just dry in the sun---no oven firing and man it is amazing stuff.  There was also a lot of pottery making around here in the old days.