Bi-amping Power for Khorn Bass Bins

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:17 PM, glens said:

What do you figure typical high-level crossover losses to be, as much even as 1 dB?

That would depend on the amount of attenuation used for each passband, plus component losses. In cases where a high sensitivity compression driver is used with a direct radiator bass cabinet, attenuation losses could exceed 10 dB. Component losses depend on the quality of the crossover components, the order of the crossover, and driver impedance.

I wouldn't include deliberate attenuation to match driver levels as part of "insertion loss" proper, and was wondering if you'd bring up that aspect.  I'd primarily include attenuation by series reactive components (well) within the passband of any section.

Components which provide shaping within a passband would perhaps be close to inclusion, but not quite there, in my book, since all shaping of frequency response is the purpose of the circuitry.

It was partly laziness on my part to not flesh out my earlier question, and partly to see where you'd take it unprompted.

The longer version of my question would be:  Apart from "purely" resistive attenuation to match levels, as well as deliberately and selectively bleeding off energy within a passband (both of which must be done somewhere in the chain if/when required), what would you consider to be the level of insertion loss of adequate and properly-working components?

I'd guess it'd be in the neighborhood of 1 dB.

Obviously the best solution would allow the driver(s) to be connected directly to the output of a final gain stage with all leveling and shaping occuring upstream.  But for good-enough results with passive components between the amp and driver(s) it's my contention there is going to be negligible power and/or driver control loss.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, glens said:

Obviously the best solution would allow the driver(s) to be connected directly to the output of a final gain stage with all leveling and shaping occuring upstream.  But for good-enough results with passive components between the amp and driver(s) it's my contention there is going to be negligible power and/or driver control loss.

For a simple first order crossover losses will be small. However a fourth order passive crossover with EQ for a constant directivity horn may require attenuation to achieve flat frequency response, the amount of attenuation depending on the sensitivities of the drivers and their impedances.