Protection for passive woofers - Forte & KG4

Mark51

I'm going to be moving soon and want to protect the passive woofers on my Forte's and KG4's.   I suppose the best way is to install a metal speaker grill.  The speaker frames measure slightly over 12 inches in diameter so would a 12 inch grill fit or would I need a 15 inch grill?  Any suggestions?  I'd hate to see those things torn in the moving process.  

You may want to contact Parts Express, (or another dealer),it looks like the inside diameter of a 12 inch grill cover is 11 inches. It looks like you have to buy the Mounting Kit seperate as well. A wise investment to protect the speakers. Good luck, otherwise bubble wrap the crap out of them!

Is your plan a permanent solution or just for the moving process?

If just for moving, then place a rigid piece of something(cardboard, plywood, hard plastic sheet, etc.) overlapping the passive woofers and shrink wrap them in place.   As a matter of fact, shrink the speakers first to protect the finish before applying the rigid plate, plywood, etc.  Then place foam wrap liberally around speakers and shrink wrap again to hold things in place.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-775/Foam/Uline-Foam-Roll-1-8-12-x-175-Perforated?pricode=WB0326&gadtype=pla&id=S-775&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsvPO-dKJ4gIVBkSGCh35rQRJEAQYAiABEgJa6fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bill

Good plan there, for sure.  For moving purposes, you could always take the passives out for the move and pack them face to face in a box.  Or, take one out and trace the pattern onto a piece of 1/4" (or so) luan or other plywood and make a cover for them for the time being.  

A great permanent fix.

Measure the outer edge of the woofer frame and router out a circle using that as the interior dimension on 1/2" stock 1/2" wide or so and attach matching grille cloth for a permanent fix.

If you don't have the skills or tools any full service lumber shop will be able to help, just staple the grille cloth around the frame and mount over the passive with standard metal grille clips.

• Moderators

I used the metal grills on the set of original Forte's we gave our daughter, they have 2 cats and a dog. They looked like the ones in that link, worked fine. I didn't have room to add the screws that came with them but removed some from the woofer itself and the fit was fine going back in, I don't remember what size they were I think 12'' same as the driver.