You have these parts - can you build a good center channel?

So - I have a bunch of K-Horn / LaScala parts lying around... and no one seems interested in buying them - so I'm thinking a center channel build, maybe?

I already have an RC3 in my den to go with my 1977 La Scala's (all upgraded drivers - CT120, 4500 crossovers, A55G mids, Cast frame woofers)... but am thinking that it would be a better match to use the K-Horn Tweets and K400/K55-V midrange..

So here are the parts I have:

K77 Tweets

K55-V mid drivers

K400 Horns in K-Horn decorator tophat frames

Type AA crossovers..

RC3 center channel (Cabinet is beat to hell - see my "..Major House Damage.." thread for reference).

Fab up a monster with the RC3 woofers, one K400/K55-v midrange, and one or two K77's? Like a W-T-M-T-W? lol!

What would you do with these parts available? 

2 hours ago, Escher said:

So - I have a bunch of K-Horn / LaScala parts lying around... and no one seems interested in buying them

Well, you can lower the prices, post photos and be patient.  Took me several months to sell some very nice mid drivers and tweeters, but they eventually sold.

• Like 1

A mini or 12" version of a Cornwall would be easy to put together and give your TV something to sit on if needed.   Although I don't know how much low end a center channel gets or if it even gets an unfiltered signal in multi channel content. I know I would love to have a K400 or 401 delivering my center duty as this is the weak spot in my system.

2 hours ago, Max2 said:

Although I don't know how much low end a center channel gets or if it even gets an unfiltered signal in multi channel content.

In multi-channel sources, the data encoded on the disc or in the stream is full-range for all the main channels. Even the new Atmos mixes have full-range content in the overhead channels. There is also, of course, the separate LFE channel that has content up to 120 Hz.

What usually happens though is that most people set their receivers or processors to filter the content below a certain frequency for their speakers. The low-frequency content from those channels is instead routed to the 'subwoofer out', together with the LFE channel information.  Basically, any low frequencies below ~80 Hz are instead sent out to the subs in most setups.  If you do have speakers that are truly capable of reproducing very low frequencies, then the information is certainly there to be used if your processing equipment is accordingly configured.

One extreme example is the intro from Edge of Tomorrow. The beginning of that movie has ULF sine waves being sent to both the LFE channel and the center channel.  We're talking shockingly strong signals at 30, 25, 20, 15, and 10 Hz and it is asking the center channel to reproduce them. Again, in a 'normally' configured system the receiver is re-routing that strong center channel content to the subwoofer out instead.  Vanishingly few people have a center channel capable of reproducing 10 Hz notes at 115+ dB.

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, you can lower the prices, post photos and be patient.  Took me several months to sell some very nice mid drivers and tweeters, but they eventually sold.

Already did - well I posted that I’m open to offers... not looking to get rich from them... then again, if I build this super center channel...

If you can build a a cabinet, I'd build a dual woofer box and set the k-horn top on it with the rest of your parts in it.  

I have also seen a 2-piece La Scala with the bass horn on the floor and the HF box f!own above the TV. 

1 hour ago, blue72 said:

In multi-channel sources, the data encoded on the disc or in the stream is full-range for all the main channels. Even the new Atmos mixes have full-range content in the overhead channels. There is also, of course, the separate LFE channel that has content up to 120 Hz.

What usually happens though is that most people set their receivers or processors to filter the content below a certain frequency for their speakers. The low-frequency content from those channels is instead routed to the 'subwoofer out', together with the LFE channel information.  Basically, any low frequencies below ~80 Hz are instead sent out to the subs in most setups.  If you do have speakers that are truly capable of reproducing very low frequencies, then the information is certainly there to be used if your processing equipment is accordingly configured.

One extreme example is the intro from Edge of Tomorrow. The beginning of that movie has ULF sine waves being sent to both the LFE channel and the center channel.  We're talking shockingly strong signals at 30, 25, 20, 15, and 10 Hz and it is asking the center channel to reproduce them. Again, in a 'normally' configured system the receiver is re-routing that strong center channel content to the subwoofer out instead.  Vanishingly few people have a center channel capable of reproducing 10 Hz notes at 115+ dB.

10 cycles @ 115 db would be a big feat for a very, very decent sub 😀

19 hours ago, Max2 said:

10 cycles @ 115 db would be a big feat for a very, very decent sub 😀

That's crazy loud for that frequency.  I once measured 110dB @10Hz fourteen feet away from my IB and it's scary.  Windows were flexing and closed doors were knocking like someone was trying to get in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1