Horology...

Schu

9 hours ago, mr clean said:

I love watches and love to read about the nice ones but I would never spend more than about 1000 dollars on one. I Love seiko divers and have a few autos but for everyday  I like the seiko solars. Im looking at one of the padi  divers for my next one. I like watches that when they get scratched you don't get that upset. If I spent 10 grand on a watch i would be sick every time it was scratched. And they will get scratched. I kind of like a everyday watch to have some scratches. It gives it some character.  If any of you are wanting a auto diver and just getting your feet wet check out a 007. They keep decent time and look very cool for the money. Read about gray market watches if you want somthing from japan and want to save some money. There are pros and cons but I never had any problems buying this way. Heres a pic of a 007.

https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-skx007-family-seiko-beater-divers/

Almost All I wear for daily use...the rest are for special occasions...I just close my eyes and wherever my had falls that is the for the special occasion....LOL!

• Like 1

… o O (wise choice number 1) = do not attempt to pronounce the word horology emphasizing the first 3 letters together to a woman, thinking someone has a W to make things easier...

ho·rol·o·gy

(hô-rŏl′ə-jē)

The science of measuring time.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:36 PM, Islander said:

True enough.  I don’t dive or snorkel anymore, due to an injury, but I like to wear a diver’s watch, just because.  The rotating bezel is also handy for timing various things, like how long you’ve got to park, or even how long it takes your pizza to arrive.

The watch I’m currently wearing and enjoying is a Momentum M50 Mark II, which is water resistant to 500 metres/1650 feet, has a 10-year battery and a 6-year warranty.  The Momentum watches are well-made (in Vancouver!), with Japanese movements, or Swiss movements on some models, and the M50 in particular is accurate to within around 3 seconds a month.  The lume is also quite good.  As well, the service is excellent, and you can sometimes talk directly to the technicians, which helps avoid any miscommunication.

I hear you on using the timer. Like you said on the pizza, cooking, grilling, timing things at work, etc I like the momentum watches and just looked at their site. Good prices! 44 mm is about as big as I go and really like 40 mm better. Huge watches are not for me. The torpedo in yellow looks very nice! May check into one. My solar seiko gains about 10 sec a month which is pretty good. I like solars due to less battery changes which can lead to leaking. 

https://www.momentumwatch.com/products/torpedo-countdown-44mm?variant=14215660797987

Last week I went into my local Tourneau superstore to see if they had any of the Rolexs I had been looking at. While they did have a huge selection, they didn't have anything I am interested in. The store is amazingly vast and perhaps I should begin to look into Tudor... maybe a blackbay 58. They seem reasonably priced but then again I am already resigned to getting a new Seiko Prospex LX diver when they hit the streets in July.

I still am waiting for the confirmation of shipping on my SLA033 as soon as it's officially released.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:21 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

and did they calculate A NEARBY DECENT-SIZED METEOR STRIKE INTO THAT EQUATION?  Pulses gone haywire!  Yeah, I'm "in a mood", too!  BUT..I learned to never thrust old man Murphy!

Ah, good ole Murphy's Law and its Bazillion Corollaries!

John Kuthe...

Not sure this is relevant.....

My day "every day" is based on time....

My work, my personal life, I know how long it will take to do a task or run to the store or go out to an event and get back home to sleep for the next day...

I'm always early...Early Bird gets the worm...

Am I a freak?

38 minutes ago, Schu said:

First watch I have owned and worn in at least 20 years...

48001491602_2e65e1d6c1_h.jpg

48001546368_20667f2390_h.jpg

Wow.  Just wow. 

That is not an inexpensive watch.  The build quality is out of this world.  If you've never seen one before, it's worth googling.

What surprised me is that Seiko has existed in one form or another since before 1880... sure everyone knows that Seiko makes affordable EXTREMELY accurate wrist watches and that they nearly completely killed the Swiss watch industry in the 1970's when quartz movement was introduced, but Seiko has always had a component that produced automatic/manual movements since it's inception.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

What surprised me is that Seiko has existed in one form or another since before 1880... sure everyone knows that Seiko makes affordable EXTREMELY accurate wrist watches and that they nearly completely killed the Swiss watch industry in the 1970's when quartz movement was introduced, but Seiko has always had a component that produced automatic/manual movements since it's inception.

That they did, too right.  I bet the sweep is glorious on your watch.  Did it come with the crocodile strap?

I dig all timepieces (Okay, maybe not AP or Richard Mille so much).  I've been collecting a few of the new Bulova 292khz chronographs.  If you haven't tried one, you should.  Inexpensive enough that you don't mind using it as a beater, and the movement in them is awesome.

3 hours ago, Schu said:

That’s a mighty fine-looking watch.  Do you plan to wear it every day?  I’d be leery of getting it scratched, but on special occasions, I could spare some attention to make sure nothing happened to it.

I was a bit surprised to see six slot-head screws retaining the back cover, instead of it simply screwing on.  That is more elegant, and I just realized that the cover won’t be coming off for battery changes.  However, does the watch need to be serviced every five years or so?

Congrats on getting an excellent timepiece!

While some people don’t care, I believe it’s as important to know when you are as where you are.  After all, we do live in a space-time continuum.  Time and space are equally important, right?

On 5/31/2019 at 3:04 PM, MyOwn said:

My day "every day" is based on time....

My work, my personal life, I know how long it will take to do a task or run to the store or go out to an event and get back home to sleep for the next day...

I'm always early...Early Bird gets the worm...

The moral of the story is:  don’t be the early worm, or you’ll get eaten by the early bird...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

That they did, too right.  I bet the sweep is glorious on your watch.  Did it come with the crocodile strap?

I dig all timepieces (Okay, maybe not AP or Richard Mille so much).  I've been collecting a few of the new Bulova 292khz chronographs.  If you haven't tried one, you should.  Inexpensive enough that you don't mind using it as a beater, and the movement in them is awesome.

I've been eyeing a GS 'hi-beat' line of watches which is 10 beats per second and 36,000 vibrations per hour. So far the only hi-beat I like is a diver from the seiko line (sla025)

Seiko-Prospex-Diver-300m-Hi-Beat-SLA025-

but since I plan on getting a different diver that is coming out soon, I don't want to double dip right now.

57 minutes ago, Islander said:

That’s a mighty fine-looking watch.  Do you plan to wear it every day?  I’d be leery of getting it scratched, but on special occasions, I could spare some attention to make sure nothing happened to it.

I was a bit surprised to see six slot-head screws retaining the back cover, instead of it simply screwing on.  That is more elegant, and I just realized that the cover won’t be coming off for battery changes.  However, does the watch need to be serviced every five years or so?

Congrats on getting an excellent timepiece!

While some people don’t care, I believe it’s as important to know when you are as where you are.  After all, we do live in a space-time continuum.  Time and space are equally important, right?

Will NOT be wearing as a daily... its not an overly pricey Grand Seiko in the grand scheme of things,  but I want to keep it mint. It's not water proof to any depth, as a matter of fact Seiko says water resistant... which means DON'T GET IT WET! It's a dress watch and not a tool watch. 

And indeed, this is a 'watch maker' service time piece... which mean it needs to go back to Japan for service.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Schu said:

Will NOT be wearing as a daily... its not an overly pricey Grand Seiko in the grand scheme of things,  but I want to keep it mint. It's not water proof to any depth, as a matter of fact Seiko says water resistant... which means DON'T GET IT WET! It's a dress watch and not a tool watch. 

And indeed, this is a 'watch maker' service time piece... which mean it needs to go back to Japan for service.

Fair enough.  It would be a shame to get any scuffs on a beauty like that.

As for “Water Resistant”, that’s what every watch says these days, even high-performance diver’s watches.  It seems like “Water Proof” is no longer an acceptable claim to make.  The only place I’ve seen Water Proof in this century is on some top quality English motorcycle-riding rain gear.

• Like 1