Horology...

Schu

What’s the purpose of the expander on the strap of that watch?  Normally, those are only seen on diver’s watches, so the strap will fit over a bare wrist and be also able to fit over a diving suit.  Even a 12-course banquet wouldn’t cause anyone’s wrist to expand that much.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Islander said:

What’s the purpose of the expander on the strap of that watch?  Normally, those are only seen on diver’s watches, so the strap will fit over a bare wrist and be also able to fit over a diving suit.  Even a 12-course banquet wouldn’t cause anyone’s wrist to expand that much.

It’s simply a comfort item.  Anyone with large hands appreciates the extra bit of room while taking them on or off.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Islander said:

Fair enough.  It would be a shame to get any scuffs on a beauty like that.

As for “Water Resistant”, that’s what every watch says these days, even high-performance diver’s watches.  It seems like “Water Proof” is no longer an acceptable claim to make.  The only place I’ve seen Water Proof in this century is on some top quality English motorcycle-riding rain gear.

It’s now illegal to use waterproof at all when marking or marketing a watch.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

It’s simply a comfort item.  Anyone with large hands appreciates the extra bit of room while taking them on or off.

That makes sense, but it could also be a convenience feature.  Strap-and-buckle systems can be fiddly to work with, so the expander provides the convenience of a steel bracelet with the style of a leather strap.

Well, it looks like Schu’s new watch is a real conversation starter.

The clasp is there so you can conveniently  take the watch on and off without stressing the leather strap from over use... it's also an important safety system that turns the band into a bracelet and helps keep the watch from falling off your wrist.

sbgm221_16.jpg

• Thanks 1

Congratulations, it is a very nice looking wristwatch.

I would hesitate to buy a watch that has to go to Japan (if I understood correctly) for servicing. But then again, who can get them nicely ticking if not the maker itself. Would worry though it does not get lost in transport.

My 4R36 movement would have to go for servicing every 3 years, but the salesman said that even 5 years would be ok.

13 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

Congratulations, it is a very nice looking wristwatch.

I would hesitate to buy a watch that has to go to Japan (if I understood correctly) for servicing. But then again, who can get them nicely ticking if not the maker itself. Would worry though it does not get lost in transport.

My 4R36 movement would have to go for servicing every 3 years, but the salesman said that even 5 years would be ok.

Unless your watch starts to run significantly faster or slower, you don't need to service it. 

The oils that are used nowadays last for 20 years or more.

I would not hesitate to buy a Grand Seiko.  The movement blows any Swiss / ETA offering out of the water.  Only the watchmakers who spend 6 months or a year building a single watch are putting out any movements that are significantly better than the high end Seiko.

I agree, the stuff grand Seiko is doing and has done in the past might is outstanding... they might have not been the flashier or the most stylish, but the movements were first rate. Even the current fondness for the quartz movement by Seiko shows reverence for the little battery operated caliber.

I've already got my eye on another GS, but I don't want to over pay for a watch just because I want it really bad or because it's rare... otherwise I would already own a Rolex 126710BLRO.

• 1 month later...

In honor of the original Vietnam era diver watch the 6105, during which time Seiko sold thousands of watches to US military, Seiko just released this homage piece... the SLA033/SBDX031. The watch is made famous by being worn by Martin Sheene (Benjamin L. Willard) in Francis Ford Coppolas 'Apocalypse Now' and hence the watch is now referred to as the 'Captain Willard'.

48269739672_9c8299afaa_b.jpg

The watch is built to a much higher standard than the original 6105 watch (now comes with the caliber 8l35 movement) and is assembled and finished in the same factory as the Grand Seiko line.

48269562746_e961d808ab_h.jpg

48269638642_699e078440_h.jpg

48269564081_24baa511c8_h.jpg

48269640627_b4ce93f7b2_h.jpg

48269640372_13ca050039_h.jpg

48269564531_ecc8a252c5_h.jpg

48269641002_e6c76e699b_h.jpg

• Like 1

This is the watch I wear for a daily beater. Im not crazy about the bezel but the action is smooth. I like solars anymore for the accuracy but autos have the cool factor. Im sure the watch you have is accurate but I don't spend that much. This is just a pic offline.  These guys make some really good watch bands for a great price if anyone needs one. Bonetto Cinturini 

http://bonettocinturini.it/en/

image.png.ed250f05f9d9614a16aa1eeac12d8156.png

• Like 2

Notice how the hands are two different styles.  This is required for a watch to be properly called a diver’s watch, so there will be no confusion between them in an emergency or low light situation.

EDIT:  I just checked the relevant rules, ISO 2281 and ISO 6425, and found that the rule regarding the hands of a diver’s watch does not require that they be two different styles.  The requirement is that the minute hand must not be able to overshadow the hour hand, so the time can be easily legible at any time.

Some watch designs accomplish this by having a baton or sword minute hand, and an arrow hour hand, which sticks out to both sides of the narrower minute hand.

Some other designs use a wider hour hand, so it’s still visible when the narrower minute hand is directly over it. 

Whatever works.

• Like 1