Horology...

Schu

OK; have to add my 2 cents worth :D  Bought this watch about 40 years ago and have never felt the need for another one ... Rolex Submariner.  (Got some Ebell's later, but never wore them too much ... too small.) Many, many years ago I think (??) some saltwater got into it and turned the original blue face into gold. Yes; know it needs some cleaning/polishing :)  Haha; $500 to replace the faceplate ... actually like my gold version better :D 

IMG_2255.JPG

• Like 2

Always... specially with Rolex. For the most part in the current Rolex market, paying MSRP from an authorized dealer is still a good value.

The current generation of the top of the line fakes are outstanding in representation,  but there are still ways of telling the authentic from the reproduction... but one needs to be completely savvy.  Of course the watch can also be taken to a dealer and authenticated... but if it's in the stolen database, you won't be getting it back.

Absolutely,  buyer beware.

Watch out(no pun intended) as the horology bug can bite hard. My habit started

when my grandfather died and i inherited his 1950's gold Juvenia watch. Now it needed

service and speaking with the local watchmaker i was drawn into the world of 

vintage watches which i started to collect back in the 70's. After a long stint in

broadcasting i moved south and turned my hobby into my profession

selling Patek, Rolex and other fine watches for one of the top jewelry stores in

south Florida. Music and horology are passions of mine. Both my watches and

music equipment are arcane technology that i love and collect. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Vostok was a Russian company 😀.

I am not familiar with crafstmanship of this particular model. However, I am familiar with quality of former USSR products. In general, everything that was not military grade quality , was of very poor quality. 

If mechanical, this was calling for a constant checks by dedicated mechanics. I would not be surprised this Vostok is of same kind.

16 minutes ago, parlophone1 said:

Vostok was a Russian company 😀.

I am not familiar with crafstmanship of this particular model. However, I am familiar with quality of former USSR products. In general, everything that was not military grade quality , was of very poor quality. 

If mechanical, this was calling for a constant checks by dedicated mechanics. I would not be surprised this Vostok is of same kind.

The best of the Russian watches (normally the top military-issued ones) generally had Swiss-made movements in them.

You are right and wrong at the same time, about the Vostok watches. The factory still exists today in Christopol, the brand was created in 1941 to supply the Russian army. Then in 1965 new official supplier of the Red Army with the famous Komandirskie. The automatic models have a Russian Vostok movement with 32 jewels. The Amphibian and mine are models not very well built and chip, but paradoxically ingenious and very powerful: 20atm almost as good as a Submariner, not bad for a model with plastic porthole and which cost only 60 or $ 75. The 2416 automatic movement is running for 10 years without a watch revision, some Amphibian have been on since the 60's. Vostok was Yuri Gagarin's watch, I think it's the first in space. Vostok supplied the US Army during the Gulf War with Desert Shield models. In short cheap watches, sometimes capricious, with very light bracelets and yet when they work they are indestructible and very enduring.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/vostok-amphibia

https://vostokamphibia.com/vostok-amphibia-history/

https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/russian-watches-part-3-the-vostok-watch-factory/

Vostok 2416b automatic movement

• 3 months later...

All over, there are so many to choose from... I would never personally change out anything Rolex (though many do) because the factory bracelets are so damn good, but for my Grand seiko/Seiko I buy factory strap back ups/color variatnts or custom bespoke pieces like this wider strap for my sla033:

48729425838_49c6a11bfc_b.jpg

48729934792_6de0a959ef_b.jpg

In not much of a NATO strap guy, but they do have a long history. Both those shark skin leather straps above are from deals made on ebay... I contact the seller and have them make one to spec.

• 1 month later...

ALWAYS wanted a Rolex but could never afford one or justify one so I never got one.  The closest I ever got to a Rolex was really a fluke and a joke.  Dave Edwards was Ben Crenshaw's caddy for years.  We became friends jokin and hanging a bit at Muirfield during the Memorial Golf Tournament.  Rain delays, etc.  A bunch of us got together and played Euchre.  One year I was going to spend the day with Dave carrying for Ben because Dave wanted some pics as did Ben.  #1 tee Ben took off his solid gold Rolex and handed it to Dave to put in his pocket.  I piped up and said hey lemme wear that for ya and they both laffed.  I said I'm not going anywhere remember?  So Ben told Dave to give it to me and I put it on.  Perfect fit so I said see ya later.  Yea, watches are cool but you guys are nuts!  How about this one for ya???   Cool factor???

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-accessories/a30692845/rolex-paul-newman-daytona-antiques-roadshow/?utm_campaign=socialflowFBESQ&utm_medium=social-media&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3tKlS0bueY0k7BW7FY6CV7hJPBz1EoLNeHKwGQ_cO7uHRDJogJl_np2wE

• Like 1