Horology...

Schu

8 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Most days I don't need to know.  😉

Do you remember the scene early in Easy Rider in which Captain America (Peter Fonda) and Billy (Dennis Hopper) have completed their big score, by bringing a quantity of cocaine across the border from Mexico?  Now that they had the money (although by modern standards neither the quantity of coke nor the amount of money seemed like very much), they were set for at least quite a while. 

The next thing that Peter Fonda did was to take off his watch and toss it away, indicating that they were now free of any schedule and were at last truly free.  It was an evocative move that I’ve never seen in any other movie.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Islander said:

The next thing that Peter Fonda did was to take off his watch and toss it away, indicating that they were now free of any schedule and were at last truly free.  It was an evocative move that I’ve never seen in any other movie.

Watches are for people with somewhere to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Islander said:

Do you remember the scene early in Easy Rider in which Captain America (Peter Fonda) and Billy (Dennis Hopper) have completed their big score, by bringing a quantity of cocaine across the border from Mexico?  Now that they had the money (although by modern standards neither the quantity of coke nor the amount of money seemed like very much), they were set for at least quite a while.

I've actually never seen that movie.

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

I"ve always dug this beer commercial, since it first landed on tv. Not quite tossing a watch, but similar idea and something I would have done, if I ever had one that is.

The video that showed up after the Corona ad was Echoes:  Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii.

Coincidence?  It’s always time for Pink Floyd!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

I've actually never seen that movie.

When Easy Rider first came out, I was a teenager, and it seemed deadly serious, almost like a cautionary tale of the dangers of the road in some places.  On viewing it years later, it seemed more like a comedy.

Time didn’t change the movie, but time changed me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

Watches are for people with somewhere to be.

Not necessarily.  I always know where I am, but I also like to know when I am.  I just like to always know my position in spacetime, and a very accurate watch is part of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

When Easy Rider first came out, I was a teenager, and it seemed deadly serious, almost like a cautionary tale of the dangers of the road in some places.  On viewing it years later, it seemed more like a comedy.

Time didn’t change the movie, but time changed me.

The deep south didn't take to longhairs for many years. Some places still don't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Islander said:

Not necessarily.  I always know where I am, but I also like to know when I am.  I just like to always know my position in spacetime, and a very accurate watch is part of that.

But the freedom of not having to or not knowing. There has to be something to that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

But the freedom of not having to or not knowing. There has to be something to that.

Sure.  It depends on what time means to you.  I’ve been retired for years, so I’m schedule-free.  I don’t always know what day it is.  I like having a favourite timepiece on my wrist just for the sake of having it.  Knowing exactly where the Earth is in its daily rotation is something I appreciate.  For someone else, they’d rather encounter each day as it comes, with no need to know when they are.

Both viewpoints are valid.

• Like 2

When I bought my Seiko Automatic with 4R36 caliber it was speeding 11 sec per day exactly and consistently.

I wore it for months and checked every day to make sure.

Then there was a time gap of a year or so when I did not wear any watch on my wrist. Seiko was in the drawer laying down and not touched in all that time, except once or or twice.

When I put Seiko again it was speeding about 60 sec/day. Now it is speeding 45 sec/day.

Is it expected behavior for an automatic?

I could take it for a cleaning and/or adjustment, it is about 3 years from purchase.

57 minutes ago, parlophone1 said:

When I bought my Seiko Automatic with 4R36 caliber it was speeding 11 sec per day exactly and consistently.

I wore it for months and checked every day to make sure.

Then there was a time gap of a year or so when I did not wear any watch on my wrist. Seiko was in the drawer laying down and not touched in all that time, except once or or twice.

When I put Seiko again it was speeding about 60 sec/day. Now it is speeding 45 sec/day.

Is it expected behavior for an automatic?

I could take it for a cleaning and/or adjustment, it is about 3 years from purchase.

, no need to  do anything , the accuracy of caliber 4R36 is between +45 / -35 seconds per day.-