The Klipsch Audio Community
Schu

Horology...

OK; have to add my 2 cents worth :D  Bought this watch about 40 years ago and have never felt the need for another one ... Rolex Submariner.  (Got some Ebell's later, but never wore them too much ... too small.) Many, many years ago I think (??) some saltwater got into it and turned the original blue face into gold. Yes; know it needs some cleaning/polishing :)  Haha; $500 to replace the faceplate ... actually like my gold version better :D 

IMG_2255.JPG

• Like 1

Patek is part of the holy trinity... AP, Patek and Vacheron.

2 minutes ago, Emile said:

OK...

IMG_2255.JPG

Was that originally a two tone Blusie?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Schu said:

Was that originally a two tone Blusie?

Yes :D Never knew it was known as a "Blusie."

Add-on ... it is known as a "Bluesy" :) 

Are knock offs a problem? I imagine fakes with cheap internals would be easy to make, just like most valuable items... buyer beware?

Always... specially with Rolex. For the most part in the current Rolex market, paying MSRP from an authorized dealer is still a good value.

The current generation of the top of the line fakes are outstanding in representation,  but there are still ways of telling the authentic from the reproduction... but one needs to be completely savvy.  Of course the watch can also be taken to a dealer and authenticated... but if it's in the stolen database, you won't be getting it back.

Absolutely,  buyer beware.

20 hours ago, Schu said:

48483174247_f96ad202cd_k.jpg

That Grand Seiko GMT is just delicious.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

I changed out my factory rubber strap for a german shark leather strap...

48505119572_4c57855103_k.jpg

48504941202_fdcb78d9f1_h.jpg

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

There are sharks in germany?

=== but of course. They prowl the Frankfurt, Düsseldorf airports looking for tasty American treats(tourists) — 

I could have said Vietnamese leather strap... but of course, it wasn't crafted in Vietnam.

I never posted the unboxing...

48492966027_0ee4d6938a_h.jpg

48492791311_c08b17c028_h.jpg

48492790491_8299d96ef7_h.jpg

48492961332_1971f26e64_h.jpg

48492960907_402ba304f7_h.jpg

48492786071_c4e7a732fd_h.jpg

48492958892_3dd8165362_h.jpg

48492784826_de58b2c342_h.jpg

I am loving this thing so far... much praise for an ENTRY LEVEL piece.

• Like 2

Watch out(no pun intended) as the horology bug can bite hard. My habit started

when my grandfather died and i inherited his 1950's gold Juvenia watch. Now it needed

service and speaking with the local watchmaker i was drawn into the world of 

vintage watches which i started to collect back in the 70's. After a long stint in

broadcasting i moved south and turned my hobby into my profession

selling Patek, Rolex and other fine watches for one of the top jewelry stores in

south Florida. Music and horology are passions of mine. Both my watches and

music equipment are arcane technology that i love and collect. 

• Like 1

Hi !

Here is my watch: an automatic Russian Vostok Amphibian, case 420, blue dial Scuba Dude. The bracelet is a Hirsch Grand Duke, it is waterproof. Hirsch is a high quality Austrian brand.

bmv3.jpg

😀

• Like 1

Vostok was a Russian company 😀.

I am not familiar with crafstmanship of this particular model. However, I am familiar with quality of former USSR products. In general, everything that was not military grade quality , was of very poor quality. 

If mechanical, this was calling for a constant checks by dedicated mechanics. I would not be surprised this Vostok is of same kind.

16 minutes ago, parlophone1 said:

Vostok was a Russian company 😀.

I am not familiar with crafstmanship of this particular model. However, I am familiar with quality of former USSR products. In general, everything that was not military grade quality , was of very poor quality. 

If mechanical, this was calling for a constant checks by dedicated mechanics. I would not be surprised this Vostok is of same kind.

The best of the Russian watches (normally the top military-issued ones) generally had Swiss-made movements in them.

You are right and wrong at the same time, about the Vostok watches. The factory still exists today in Christopol, the brand was created in 1941 to supply the Russian army. Then in 1965 new official supplier of the Red Army with the famous Komandirskie. The automatic models have a Russian Vostok movement with 32 jewels. The Amphibian and mine are models not very well built and chip, but paradoxically ingenious and very powerful: 20atm almost as good as a Submariner, not bad for a model with plastic porthole and which cost only 60 or $ 75. The 2416 automatic movement is running for 10 years without a watch revision, some Amphibian have been on since the 60's. Vostok was Yuri Gagarin's watch, I think it's the first in space. Vostok supplied the US Army during the Gulf War with Desert Shield models. In short cheap watches, sometimes capricious, with very light bracelets and yet when they work they are indestructible and very enduring.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/vostok-amphibia

https://vostokamphibia.com/vostok-amphibia-history/

https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/russian-watches-part-3-the-vostok-watch-factory/

Vostok 2416b automatic movement