My Dwyer CT Home Theater Build

Bronzeman62

I am a aspiring armature home theater designer builder and this is the second home theater I've built for myself in the last 5 years.  My first was located in Murphy, TX for a little more than three years until I moved to My current residence located in Heath TX on Dwyer CT.  I've lived here for nine months and it took 4 months of work to get this theater not only functional but presentable as well for family and friends.  I did as much work as possible DIY.  The build consists of Three Areas: 

1. The main Home Theater Room 
  2. The Concession Closet
  3. The Hall Way Entrance Gallery:

The Main Home Theater which is located on the second floor in a 20.5'" x 15.5' bedroom.  The room has two exterior walls both of which have 1 Double window. All of the interior walls have multiple doors consisting of three for closets, one for the Jack and Jill bathroom and an entry/exit door.  Attached to the room is a 6'-0 x 6'-0  Walk-in closet being used for Storage of Media and surplus theater décor. and a on suite Bathroom door located in the rear of the theater.  The main theater room has Seating for 10-12 people within three seating zones.

1. Front row seating - Consists of three black leather power recliners 10'-0 from the screen.
  2. Platform seating - Consist of three Burgundy recliners on a raised carpeted platform composed of shipping pallets covered in 3/4" Sub flooring.  It is 8'-6 x 14'-0 x 0-8"
  3. Bar seating - Composed of 4 extra tall Bar Stools and a counter (not completed yet) located behind the platform seating.  

The "Concession Closet" is a double walk-in closet that has two doors on the left surround wall of the main home theater room.  It is 13' x 4'-2" and houses and displays all of the food and drinks, and equipment for preparations of concessions served in the theater.  There is also space for concessions related collectables and décor to be displayed as well.  

The Hall Way Entrance and Gallery is the third major part of the home theater experience.  It is a 15' x 5'-0 x 7'-0 dog-legged hallway leading into the main theater.  The main purpose of this area is to create dramatic affect and build anticipation through the display of cinema artwork, collectables and movie posters. This area also fetures custom accent lighting, sinage and decorating techniques to enhance the desired effect.

Edited by Bronzeman62

• Bronzeman62 changed the title to My Dwyer CT Home Theater Build
  • Moderators

Sounds like a big project, we use the living room and do not have a dedicated room, that would be nice to customize.

What speakers? To me the most important thing is sound and picture, then when you add all the extras that make it comfortable for family and guest, you add it all together and you have something special.  The first thing is sound and picture and you never said anything about that so I was just wondering, and don't forget to add some pictures when you're ready. 

• Like 1

I used the dimensions on the initial plan to create a plan for how the main theater's key components would be set up. It shows the lay out for the seating area, the speakers and equipment placement and screen location in the plan. 

2004011716_DwyerCTFloorPlan.thumb.jpg.f7fe5e6a58d7eb11966bea82b14347fa.jpg

My Design for the inside is based on a black and burgundy color scheme.  These colors were chosen because my seating consists of three black Pulaski Larson Power Theatre Recliners Model 1985-178-083. that I picked up on sale at Costco, and three burgundy manual home theater recliners which were the first home theater recliners I every bought form Conn's a few years before.  The Black chairs make up the front row the Burgundy chairs sit on the carpeted 14" high platform I built out of shipping pallets and 3/4" flooring.

• Moderators

That 20' depth is really going to help with a setup like that, with a good width to make it not look long and skinny. I always liked the platform idea for seating, just check before building to make sure you have the height need for the other rows to have a good view. 

• Like 1

The floors in the room are laminated wood through out. The Seating area shown is actually the raised platform.  The first row of seats is in front of the platform. I am also showing  a high bar counter I wanted to add to the back of the platform for the bar stool seating I want in the back.  My Original plan was to do the floors in 24" square burgundy and black 1/2" interlocking carpet tiles, over a 3/8" carpet pad underlay.

1615569378_Post2x2CarpetedFoamTileFlooringHomeTheater.thumb.jpg.8e29aea46015d5bb7a656720b2b0ab2a.jpg

For now I'm using a 9'-0 x 7'-0 x 3/4" cotton braided area rug in the front of the room covering the floor in front of the screen.  My furniture is laid out as shown below

302893427_PostDwyerCTHomeTheaterFloorPlan.thumb.jpg.8ccc7350368f39e8d31b27f1425199bf.jpg

491357875_PostDwyerCTHomeTheaterRightElevationPlan.thumb.jpg.965d1bbdb73e8fe346891c42275c21de.jpg596237672_PostDwyerCTHomeTheaterLeftElevationPlan.thumb.jpg.55b31cd70a3931cc65fedafe98a72fc4.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Home Theater Rear Elevation Plan.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Home Theater Front Elevation Plan.jpg

Edited by Bronzeman62
Added Room Elevations corrected pictures

My Equipment 

I wired and installed speakers for a 7.2.2 object oriented sound reproduction system.  My current receiver however is limited to Dolby 7.1 or Dolby Atmos 5.2.2.  I am switching back and forth to test the diff on various movies.     
    Custom Built Movie Screen custom mounted to a Z-Line Vitoria TV Stand with it's Optional Mounting Kit
        9'-0"x 5'-0" (1.8:1 Ratio)

Mounted to Z-Line Vitoria TV Stand with the Optional Mounting Kit

AV Equipment
    Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray Player (noisy in my opinion)
    DirectTV HD MiniGenie TV Set-Top Box
    Zenith VR4206HF HiFi VCR
    Audio Technics AT-PL50 Turntable
    Epson - PowerLite Home Cinema 3700 Projector
    Onkyo - TX-NR656 Receiver
    Klipsch Speakers (7.1)
        FL - R-15M
        C  - RC3 II
        FR - R-15M
        SL - R14S
        SR - R14S
        RL - R-14M
        RR - R-14M
        SW - R-12SW
    Aiwa Speakers (for Atmos sound mounted Overhead)
        HFR - SX-R210 
        HFL - SX-R210 
Network Equiment
    TP-LINK Ethernet Switch (Wired to Home Router)
    TrendNet N300 Easy-N-Range Extender (Wired to Switch)
Automation
    Custom Built HTPC -
Racked In Vintage Pioneer CB-A9000 Stereo Cabinet.

Edited by Bronzeman62
Added more detail

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Bronzeman62 said:

I am also showing  a high bar counter I wanted to add to the back of the platform for the bar stool seating I want in the back.

I remember a long time ago someone here did the small bartop and stools behind the other seating, it worked out really nice and looked good plus very functional.

That's the best thing to do, think through all of this now so when you're done you have exactly what you want.

Move In Day Let the Chaos Begin.  I brought everything from my former theater located in Murphy, TX to the new home and began sorting out the design In my former theater I had built a buffet across the front of the theater to display my collectables and movie collection.  You can see I brought my furnishings, A/V and concessions equipment, media storage, decorations, collectables and building materials.  There are pics of my DIY acoustic panels and movie screen.  Of course there are the bad boy Klipsch speakers ready to be unleased.  Easy boys your day is coming.

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 13.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 15.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff  20180712_101536.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 20180721_220803.jpg

Pos Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 20180721_220753.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 20180721_220749.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move In - Theater RM Stuff 01.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move In - Theater RM Stuff 02.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 03.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 04.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 06.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 07.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 08.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 09.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 11.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Move-In - Theater RM Stuff 12.jpg

Edited by Bronzeman62

Build the Platform

First things first time to build the platform.  I built my platform out of Shipping Pallets with 3/4" decking screwed on top.  I'd use this design previously and liked how performed under heavy traffic (My Murphy theater had seating for 12 and it was full every movie night)  I next laid down a nice piece of scrap carpet I picked up at my local DIY Store. I decided to trim it out with lights and close in the ends later.    Every thing else is built around the platform. See the rug and my DVD/CD collection in the plastic bins in the background.  Next we place the chairs and that rug.

2084465942_PostDwyerCTConstruct-TheaterRMRiser313.thumb.jpg.38f730d30ef2b8b22419448d3d90bb80.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Construct - Theater RM Riser 311.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Construct - Theater RM Riser 312.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Construct - Theater RM Riser 310.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Construct - Theater RM Riser 309.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Construct - Theater RM Riser 304.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Construct - Theater RM Riser 305.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Construct - Theater RM Riser 306.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Construct - Theater RM Riser 307.jpg

Post Dwyer CT Construct - Theater RM Riser 308.jpg

Edited by Bronzeman62
More details

On 5/12/2019 at 8:28 PM, TasDom said:

What speakers, electronics, projector / screen size are you gonna use or is that yet to be determined? 

My Equipment 

The Theater's speakers are configured for a object oriented 7.2.2 sound system.  My current receiver is limited to Dolby 7.1 or Dolby Atmos 5.2.2 (switching back and forth)    Below is a outline of the equipment, and every thing that went into building it:

Riser
    4 - Heavy Duty Shipping Pallets
    51 SQR3/4" Sub Flooring 
    Carpet
Furniture
    1    Vintage Pioneer CB-A9000 Stereo Cabinet.
    3 - Pulaski 1985-178-083 Larson Theatre Recliners in Black
    3 - Catnapper Top Gun Leather Power Theater Recliner in Red
    1 - Z-Line Vitoria TV Stand with Optional Mounting Kit - Black
    1 - Pierce 4 Shelf Bookcase in White (15.80 x 35.00 x 73.00 Inches)
    1 - Narrow Rectangular Wicker Laundry Hamper - Antique Walnut Brown
    1 - 24" Quarter Circle Glass Shelf
    1 - 24" Quarter Circle Metal Shelf
    1 - Cotton Rug (8'x10')
Infrastructure
    2 - Speaker Wire - Walmart Harmony Audio 16 Gauge CCA Car Home Stereo Matte Blue Speaker Wire Cable 75 Feet
    1 - Speaker Wire - AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet 
    1 - Amazon Mediabridge Banana Plugs - Corrosion-Resistant 24K Gold-Plated Connectors - 12 Pair/24 Banana Plugs (Part# SPC-BP2-12)
    1 - Mediabridge ULTRA Series Subwoofer Cable (25 Feet) - Dual Shielded with Gold Plated RCA to RCA Connectors - Black
    1 - Ethernet Cable
    4 - HDMI Cables
    1 - 35'-0" RG6 COAX CABLE (Over Air HDTV)
    3 - Power Cables
Acoustic Sound Treatment
    Sound Absorbing Wall Panels
        DOW STYROFOAM Residential Sheathing Square Edge R4 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board
        Recycled Blue Jean Fabric
        Cotton Flannel Fabric
    Sound Absorbing Door Panels
        Cotton Mattress Topper
        DMI Convoluted Foam Bed Pad Mattress Topper
        Cotton Flannel Fabric
    Base Traps
        Cotton Flannel Fabric
Movie Screen Custom Built 9'-0"x 5'-0" (1.8:1 Ratio)
    DOW STYROFOAM Residential Sheathing Square Edge R4 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board (Glued and Taped seams)
    Walmart Holiday Time Snow Roll (2 Layers)
    Jo-Anne's Fabrics Ro-clon Budget Blackout White/White Drapery Lining Fabric 60"
    Framed with Armstrong Ceilings Prelude 12-ft White Metal Smooth Wall Molding Ceiling Grid Trim painted black
AV Equipment
    1 - Epson - PowerLite Home Cinema 3700 Projector
    1 - DirectTV HD TV Set-Top Box
    1 - Onkyo - TX-NR656 Receiver
    1 - Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray Player
    1 - Audio Technics AT-PL50 Turntable
    1 - Zenith VR4206HF HiFi VCR
    Klipsch Speakers (7.1)
        FL - R-15M
        C  - RC3 II
        FR - R-15M
        SL - R14S
        SR - R14S
        RL - R-14M
        RR - R-14M
        SW - R-12SW
    Aiwa Speakers (Atmos Overhead)
        HFR - SX-R210 
        HFL - SX-R210 
Network and Automation Equipment 
    1 - Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote
    1-    TP-LINK Ethernet Switch (Wired to Home Router)
    1 - TrendNet N300 Easy-N-Range Extender (Wired to Switch)
    1 - Custom Built HTPC -
    1 - Sans Digital TowerRAID 4-Bay 3.5-Inch eSATA (16 TB of Storage)
    2 - WeMo Wi-Fi plug outlets
    2 - Insignia Wi-Fi plug outlets
    1 - Woods 59780WD Indoor Remote Control, 2 Polarized Outlets
    4 - Etekcity Remote Control Outlet 

Edited yesterday at 12:54 AM by Bronzeman62
Added more detail

Edited by Bronzeman62

• 1 month later...

Well sorry I've been away but I've recently moved. 😭 I took pics and shot a video of the "completed" theater before disassembly. (side note do you know what the opposite of word "remember" is …. "dismember") En---nay way I will finish uploading my assembly and enjoyment of the "Dwyer CT Home Theater" featuring Klipsch audio reproduction technology as well the pics and video of the finally. 

We decided to down size and move closer to the "Grand :D".  My new homes media space is much smaller and the whole multi-row lunge seating scenario won't cut it. I've got a couple of  ideas.

1. Ultra-Lounge style movie suite for two.
  • Two seat love theater recliner
  • Posh lighting and décor
  • Closet Bar and Refreshments
  • OLED TV instead of projector and screen
  • Custom ultra swank console
  1. Stadium/Sport Suite
  • Two rows of three auditorium theater chairs 
  • Stadium suite style décor and lighting
  • Want it to look like you are looking out of the windows of a stadium suite for an event

• 1 year later...

Once the setting area was set, it was time to make the screen.  

Movie Screen Custom Built 9'-0"x 5'-0" (1.8:1 Ratio)
    DOW STYROFOAM Residential Sheathing Square Edge R4 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board (Glued and Taped seams)
    Walmart Holiday Time Snow Roll (2 Layers)
    Jo-Anne's Fabrics Ro-clon Budget Blackout White/White Drapery Lining Fabric 60"
    Framed with Armstrong Ceilings Prelude 12-ft White Metal Smooth Wall Molding Ceiling Grid Trim painted black

I'm placing the screen over the windows in the front of the room.  I'm reusing a screen I made from my previous theater build along with improvements that I learned.  I the screen consist of 3 pieces with various layers of snow roll and polyester shipping film covered with the white black out fabric.  This allowed me to create a super smooth flat white display surface.

I painted the rail flat black barbeque paint

ACtC-3eOKtR3nxaw2ZkeyxyUMqQL4jy9eYxImRZ_yi9Epr6SZr73FP_Mpcg1FNi0s9l0zG_JVT557NmNlgzx5gKqBd056Z_www=w1248-h702-no?authuser=0ACtC-3efAs4yW4Qmi5-vd172nOA2-DDYeIRbpJdWdvQ4IS5Y3EaoZLc98valk3g-IWT47ulZg1PvBc8OTBxBHjEG1usL1IJDxQ=w1248-h702-no?authuser=0ACtC-3fCbFGxutOy6dh1Y09fd4mFV6VpFfbX9tW88AKZhah53PdCuQvPw1bGvKGdpVqsig5rsi-9zhlCJMi6SHX_OE3fI7BuiQ=w1248-h702-no?authuser=0ACtC-3e9UOmZj5__SVEE82bOJHkqgqlmunVdFYAQQNWrMVC1Na1I2149evLSkR0rP8UlssopcBWZEqGdSExEL9UCWP7GzYbbsQ=w1248-h702-no?authuser=0ACtC-3eURLqCchV8MTKBJ2KskDYwyx7M7hIkSsubkL6h7ZpOsZrmFKnX_slRTEGX9Uhqzh26WSwkUYymDlHNk-_6PkbsocQ5TQ=w1248-h702-no?authuser=0ACtC-3eKO86wF63F_DuP2H20eChUR_-6UL78AF5tedNceflxuZCJ1bv3BwauJqaKw12GDZN1Hz02r9_xnBLvMsIN183tFuB_xQ=w1248-h607-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3cfTWItxjr55BymxP2Ro3u0ZnuxYH-Lwb2HR1WYT5TrQXpmZgeDY3BLL25thoVG8HHhyCtdIi0wk7o6mtUNi6NGfFxd5g=w1248-h607-no?authuser=0ACtC-3eGkkBcoMvc07GiIefeSKUthND06wK-MZj9BnqkGpUOEQM4NGoffb6gjipOqsR8ezjIL_e2ZlyynZaIvaaICVUhWDkJPQ=w1248-h607-no?authuser=0

Edited by Bronzeman62

As you can see I am simultaneously working on the acoustical panels which are being changed from movie theme covers to burgundy.  Here is what we wanted to do and with what we did it and how we did it.  Two of my nieces Denise and Monica helped me build the panels.

Sound Absorbing Wall Panels
        Cotton Flannel Fabric
    Sound Absorbing Door Panels
        Cotton Mattress Topper
        DMI Convoluted Foam Bed Pad Mattress Topper
        Cotton Flannel Fabric
    Base Traps
        Cotton Flannel Fabric