Separate Power Amp for Front 3?

babadono

So I had a 7 channel power Amp Monster, a Sherbourn PA7-350, that took a dump for the second time. I acquired this from Emotiva when they took over Sherbourn. On this second failure they politely refuse to fix, but gave  me full price credit to buy something else from them. I have a Marantz 7007 AVR that is now running all 7 channels but man it runs out of gas with the RF-7 IIs and RC-64II. My idea/question is should I get a 3 channel power amp to run the front 3 and let the Marantz power the surrounds? Or should I be looking for another 7 channel amp. Surrounds are in-ceiling speakers, I think CDT-5800-C-IIs

I would agree that a 3 channel  and the receiver can easily handle the requirements of the surround channels, unless you're running 7's all around LOL.  My 7's performed with a higher wattage receiver, but though they are pretty efficient, my experience has been that they like a lot of good watts behind them to perform their best.  Mine are performing well with my Emotiva XPA 5, but I've run them with Carvers and QSC etc..and they haven't been too finicky, and anything that's been rated 200 WPC has done well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Emile said:

How about @ClaudeJ1's mini amps?  Not sure what you have "up front," but Claude seems very pleased with these cheap amps for his Khorns :D (I bought one a month ago, but have not tried it yet :( )

I'm taking that you were joking about using these on 7's right? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Schu said:

Eric... someone with your skills could easily wire up three mono nCore dyi units... I know FOR a fact you'd be VERY happy.

Yes that is a good idea and i would love to do it...Meanwhile i have $999 credit at Emotiva.

4 hours ago, Schu said:

Eric... someone with your skills could easily wire up three mono nCore dyi units... I know FOR a fact you'd be VERY happy.

I'm sold on Ncore "hockey pucks" kits. I built 2 in one hour and sold my Class A stuff. Best of both world First Watt sound with power to spare.

7 minutes ago, DTO said:

The Emotiva xpa-3 for $200 with the credit seams logical to me. It’s on my short list of what upgrade to try next.....

For $200, and my experience with Emotiva, I would have to agree with this, unless of course you have the time to build something, but why not try this, small outlay and if you don't love it, sell it and build something at that time.  Just my .02

Three channel amp is a great way to go.  My first experience with amps was a B&K Reference 4430(200x3) and I added it to my existing Onkyo TX-SR705 to drive my LCR.  Huge noticeable difference across the board.

Bill

13 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'm sold on Ncore "hockey pucks" kits. I built 2 in one hour and sold my Class A stuff. Best of both world First Watt sound with power to spare.

ClaudeJ1 could/would you provide a link to exactly what you obtained and built? Thanks.