Separate Power Amp for Front 3?

babadono

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

$650.00 per monoblock?

It's been a couple of years, but yes, that's what I paid with shipping included. It may be a few bucks more, but that amp stands up to amps costing 10 times more. If you read Putzey's white paper on the design, you can see the distortion was so low that they needed to invent a new technique to measure it. It's that good.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Schu said:

A pittance for sound this clean, transients that impactful and distortion that low.

I'm not doubting you, just clarifying what you're telling him.  $1,950 for 3 amps to run the front 3 is far better than say a couple of XPA 2's, or an upper end QSC or one of many other choices in that price range.  I'm asking because that is a really bold statement and I've never heard one of these.  Too bad we didn't have anyone bring some to the pilgrimage to demo.  I like hearing all kinds of different approaches and options. 

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It's been a couple of years, but yes, that's what I paid with shipping included. It may be a few bucks more, but that amp stands up to amps costing 10 times more. If you read Putzey's white paper on the design, you can see the distortion was so low that they needed to invent a new technique to measure it. It's that good.

An even bolder statement that $2,000 trumps $20,000.  I need to poke around a bit in my area to see if anyone is running these so i can give them a listen, as my expectations are really high, given the comments from the two of you.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pete H said:

I'm not doubting you, just clarifying what you're telling him.  $1,950 for 3 amps to run the front 3 is far better than say a couple of XPA 2's, or an upper end QSC or one of many other choices in that price range.  I'm asking because that is a really bold statement and I've never heard one of these.  Too bad we didn't have anyone bring some to the pilgrimage to demo.  I like hearing all kinds of different approaches and options. 

An even bolder statement that $2,000 trumps $20,000.  I need to poke around a bit in my area to see if anyone is running these so i can give them a listen, as my expectations are really high, given the comments from the two of you.  

I have built and owned and heard more amps and speakers in the last 50 years than most people at home (also designed and built many DJ systems). Bruno Putzey's spent 10 years working for the giant company Philips, in the research department, perfecting class D amplification. Because the potential volumes were so low, they were not interested in pursuing the technology, so he started Hypex and brought his knowledge with him. I first heard the lesser Ucd Hypex amps at Axpona about 5 years ago. The were running MILLIWATTS through a passive network with the 3-way, incredible,  Sadurni Horns with subs ($40,000 speakers and worth it). I and several others reviewers agreed they were best of show.  Listening to Norah Jones "Come Away with Me" literally brought tears to my eyes. I've had that emotional connection to music only a few times before.

It also occurred at my best friend/speaker builder's house listening to his $10,000 Class D Audio Research Monoblocs (on several occasions). He has some gorgeous 3-way OB speakers with 6 10" dynamic woofers, a Bohlender/Graebener 6 foot Planar Magnetic driver (crossed at 250 hz., and a same brand super tweeter per channel, ALL in a slender open baffle design the he and I positioned in his magnificent listening room. He has all high end Pass Labs gear with a $19,000 DAC driving those Audio Research. OB give a 3D experience like no other (I still own Carver Amazing Platinums with the same technology).

I read Bruno Putzey's White paper his Nc400 tech, which convinced me to try his "hockey pucks" (hey, I'm Candian/American) SOUND UNHEARD. I took a heck of a chance with my Sixteen Hundred Bucks, but it was all worth it. What convinced me is that, on my Horns, the Hypex Monobloc Kits as sounded as good or better than my amazing First Watt Aleph J Class A amp at low volumes and could also peel the paint off the walls with Zero Perceived Distortion at stupid high volumes, so the Aleph J had to go. Previously, I was convinced to try class A by buying a Chinese made "1969" Style, 10 Wpc. Class A amp, which sounded terrific. But all that is history now that I have the Hypex, with more TI chip based amps in kits of my own design, and one ICE Power module. I am and continue to be ALL Class D amplification soon. Unlike single ended tube amplifiers, with their euphoric distortions, this amplifier is absolutely NEUTRAL. IOW, the proverbial "Straight wire with gain." It will reveal micro details and dynamics beyond your wildest dreams on horns.

NC400_datasheet.pdf

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pete H said:

So, are you bringing a couple to Hope next year?  I'm dying to hear them. 

Sorry, but "been there, done that" a few times, plus I used to live in Indianapolis, with frequent trips to Klipsch HQ. I like many of the Klipscheads in attendance that I have met before, but when the party gets too big, it's not as much fun as an intimate gather of less than 30 people. Not saying no, but not likely.

However, since you are in Ohio, and I'm in Michigan, you can drive up any weekend day you like for a listening session. It will only cost you time, miles,  and a six pack of your favorite craft beer!!

9 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Sorry, but "been there, done that" a few times, plus I used to live in Indianapolis, with frequent trips to Klipsch HQ. I like many of the Klipscheads in attendance that I have met before, but when the party gets too big, it's not as much fun as an intimate gather of less than 30 people. Not saying no, but not likely.

However, since you are in Ohio, and I'm in Michigan, you can drive up any weekend day you like for a listening session. It will only cost you time, miles,  and a six pack of your favorite craft beer!!

I will absolutely take you up on that offer in the near future.  You are not that far at all and on occasion, I go to Bryan Ohio and Goshen Indiana which puts me even closer.  The offer is appreciated.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I will absolutely take you up on that offer in the near future.  You are not that far at all and on occasion, I go to Bryan Ohio and Goshen Indiana which puts me even closer.  The offer is appreciated.

Meanwhile, here's a White Paper by Bruno Putzeys, describing the Technology in detail. You can "geek out" to your heart's content with this one!

WP_Ncore_Technology.pdf

3 minutes ago, Schu said:

sure do... ignorance is bliss.

hey, buy what you want... just don't try and pass of value as gauge of performance.

So you're blissful?  Cost as it relates to performance is a measure of value isn't it, or are you just looking to turn an honest question into something else.  

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

Pete, Goshen is only 20 min. From me.  Let me know when you’re planning a visit.