Klipsch Heresy III Review

TasDom

• Moderators

Not much to do about technical but more of how he feels and him trying to explain what he likes about them. And admitting he like many other people in the business tended to overlook Klipsch and almost surprised he likes them.

I liked it, he seems honest and explains what he thought in a way anyone can understand and what to expect if look at buying the Hlll.    Kind of a different review but I thought it was good and watched the whole thing.

2 hours ago, Panelhead said:

The H III was so good I moved on to LS II. No looking back.

what  are you running the La Scalas with? do u think my mac mc275 (75st/ch) tube will run then at  decent volumes ? 

After a few years with my HIIIs and swapping out the inexpensive Sony 100wpc receiver with an NAD 50wpc integrated amp, I'm actually wondering why they are supposed to be "rock speakers". I'm finding that well-recorded jazz and classical can be wonderfully detailed. Classical especially absolutely must be well-recorded or large orchestras sound terrible.

Actually some of the worst sounding music has been rock. For example, Journey sounds horrible; their music has so much hot midrange and highs it's unlistenable. I was excited for Led Zeppelin, but not only is their music not recorded all that great, I realized it doesn't have much depth or detail.

1 minute ago, fmalloy said:

After a few years with my HIIIs and swapping out the inexpensive Sony 100wpc receiver with an NAD 50wpc integrated amp, I'm actually wondering why they are supposed to be "rock speakers". I'm finding that well-recorded jazz and classical can be wonderfully detailed. Classical especially absolutely must be well-recorded or large orchestras sound terrible.

Actually some of the worst sounding music has been rock. For example, Journey sounds horrible; their music has so much hot midrange and highs it's unlistenable. I was excited for Led Zeppelin, but not only is their music not recorded all that great, I realized it doesn't have much depth or detail.

Try some Eagles.  Especially the live albums.  I'm a rock guy, but I've been listening to Toby Keith lately.  All of his stuff seems to be well mixed.

Did this guy just admit that it's the first time that he's really listed to any Klipsch for review and he's been doing it 20 years?  I also laughed at the "negative" side of the Heresy's or any "high efficiency" speaker and that you really shouldn't get them if your equipment has noise issues.  That's some funny crap right there, and he's consulted on some speakers being built, would love to hear which ones they were, Bose perhaps?

Bottom line, if you listen to garbage source material or you have crap equipment, don't buy good speakers because they will shine a spotlight on your pile of crap.  These morons actually get paid to do this?  I hear better reviews from members that listened to setups in the room at the factory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fmalloy said:

Studio bands that live in the studio like a Pink Floyd type. Everything they do (Waters era 71-83 ) is just Epic! Everything... every album, every song, every riff, even the one note special effect that we hear in the first few seconds of shine on you crazy diamond I. That level of perfection is what gets a band even on my radar now. Then I decide if I even like it lol  Bands like zeppelin I liked as a kid. But as soon I got trapped into audio nerd world. Party bands (like a zeppelin ) I can hear the I don't give a sh.. on the recording. I don't just not listen to them now. Their sound feels like something that smells really bad. (example). An actual small physical discomfort sometimes just hearing it on the radio low volume.  Crazy  🤢

• Like 1

Zepplin and the Who must have had the same people mixing and recording for them.  It's a shame, I really like a lot of their stuff, but just can't listen to it on anything but the shop rig where it's really just noise to work by.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Zepplin and the Who must have had the same people mixing and recording for them.  It's a shame, I really like a lot of their stuff, but just can't listen to it on anything but the shop rig where it's really just noise to work by.  

Dude "points at Pete H" right! I thought was I bonkers until I found this forum 20 years later lol.  

17 hours ago, Schu said:

Funny... I just stumbled on this 5 minutes ago just by chance...

=== funny too, I just stumbled on Klipsch horns ‘round about ‘77 or ‘78. For you young whipper snappers that’s 1977 or 1978. 

4 hours ago, Fattner said:

what  are you running the La Scalas with? do u think my mac mc275 (75st/ch) tube will run then at  decent volumes ? 

I use a My_Ref, a diy build. Extremely low noise design, around 50 solid state watts. 

Had an issue with the volume not matching an active sub. Replaced the input transformer on the amp to “fix” this. Was using a 1:1 transformer to convert balanced to single ended. Swapped in some 4:1 input transformers (600 ohm/10K) to step down the voltage 12 dB. This is equivalent to changing the LS II from 105 dB efficiency to 93 dB. Volume balance between the La Scala and sub is much closer now.

A low gain amp sometimes will work better with horns. Like was mentioned just dropping the horns in a normal system will end up with the volume pot adjusted from 1 to 3 out of 10. Tracking can be poor at this level.

A digital volume controller is even worse when dropping 60 - 70 dB. Throwing away most of the bits.

3 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

Studio bands that live in the studio like a Pink Floyd type. Everything they do (Waters era 71-83 ) is just Epic!

Funny you mention that - I just listened to all of "The Final Cut" yesterday and it sounded really good on the HIIIs.

• Like 1