Klipsch Heresy III Review

TasDom

17 minutes ago, fmalloy said:

Funny you mention that - I just listened to all of "The Final Cut" yesterday and it sounded really good on the HIIIs.

Animals as does Wish YWH sounds splendid on my LaScalas. So does LZ 2, 3, 4, Presence (esp this one) and ITTOD. Most everything does. Maybe he needs LaScalas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

Animals as does Wish YWH sounds splendid on my LaScalas. So does LZ 2, 3, 4, Presence (esp this one) and ITTOD. Most everything does. Maybe he needs LaScalas

I'd love a pair of LaScalas. Unfortunately, the wife doesn't love them. She says the Heresys are huge.

3 hours ago, Panelhead said:

A digital volume controller is even worse when dropping 60 - 70 dB. Throwing away most of the bits.

There are different ways to "digitally" control volume and even when done entirely in the digital domain (as one option) what you said stated there most usually isn't what's happening.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fmalloy said:

I'd love a pair of LaScalas. Unfortunately, the wife doesn't love them. She says the Heresys are huge.

That was what my wife said as well. But after our younger twins graduated and moved out, I got a set of La Scala speakers. Only took 30 years. She is a stubborn woman and insisted I feed the kids before spending on "giant, ugly speakers". After 2 years in the house she now thinks they look pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

After 2 years in the house she now thinks they look pretty good

Of course, the longer you have them, the smaller they look.

Klipsch Heresy, JBL L100, Advents, and similar, were all considered large bookshelf speakers back in the day.

Love the review... seems pretty honest and spot on. Now he needs to listen to some La Scalas.

1 hour ago, JBCODD said:

She is a stubborn woman and insisted I feed the kids before spending on "giant, ugly speakers". 

Sadly, it's not the spending. I just bought her an $8,000 diamond bracelet. I reminded her I can get 4 HIIs for that, but it doesn't matter. Those humongous, beautiful boxes will never cross my doorstep until I'm retired...probably 10 years...

With the way Klipsch is increasing prices on the Heritage series, who knows how much they'll cost in a decade...

14 hours ago, fmalloy said:

Wives, wives, wives.  Everything in the living room is too large, everything in the bedroom is too small. 

• Haha 2

On 5/10/2019 at 7:27 AM, Fattner said:

Saw it yesterday , love mine but thinking about a pr of La Scala II  might sell my HeresyIII ( less than yr old ?

The difference between a Heresy and a Cornwall is vast... the difference between a Cornwall and a La Scala II is HUGE.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:38 PM, fmalloy said:

Funny you mention that - I just listened to all of "The Final Cut" yesterday and it sounded really good on the HIIIs.

Probably my favorite Waters work. Even though I know its not there best album. The wall is one of the greatest creations of the 20th century imo (beyond just music). And dark side, wish you were here and animals are all better over all. Final cut is something else idk... 

On 5/10/2019 at 5:20 PM, Panelhead said:

A digital volume controller is even worse when dropping 60 - 70 dB. Throwing away most of the bits.

Please elaborate.  ..My McIntosh MA6600 uses a digital volume control.  ..So what exactly am I missing??  

My previous integrated amps and pre-amps all used analog stepped controllers and ALL of them attenuated volume at different rates for each channel.  ..In other words as you turn the volume all the way down either the right or left channel would go silent before the other.   Though not related to the volume controller they all also allowed bleed from other inputs that could be heard by simply playing a source, then turning to an unused input and turn the volume up.  ..Before turning the volume half way up you could hear music from the source.  ..I found this maddening.   This NEVER happens on my Mac NOR my Onkyo AVR - both of which have digital pre-amp sections.    And I hear all the detail that I heard through my separate analog preamps (Bryston BP-25, B&K Pro-10MC).

As far as I'm concerned, much of what happens in a pre-amp should occur digitally.  ..Technology has taken us to a better place where pre-amps are concerned.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:48 PM, Fattner said:

what  are you running the La Scalas with? do u think my mac mc275 (75st/ch) tube will run then at  decent volumes ? 

Fattner -

Are you using your MC275 to power your H3s?  If you’re happy with that, you’ll be happy using it to power even more efficient La Scalas.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:25 PM, fmalloy said:

Try this....  hopefully the Heresy's are appropriately pulled out from the walls and to use a phrase "sitting in the middle of the room"

Presuming that to be the case, show her some pictures of Khorns and how they are nicely tucked into the corners and OUT of the room, thereby giving her more of her space back that those dastardly Heresy's are taking up.

Yes, the Khorns are much (much) larger but they will be far more "room efficient" and with their pretty front panels will look more like furniture than a speaker.

win-win!!

I musta gotten lucky.

My big black LaScalas met with a positive WAF.  Surprised me. She likes the looks.

I kinda think she is telling fibs. She balked when I suggested another pair... "You already have some of those"

Wonder how she would feel about some Khorns or Belles? I don't have "some of those"

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Coytee said:

show her some pictures of Khorns and how they are nicely tucked into the corners and OUT of the room, thereby giving her more of her space back that those dastardly Heresy's are taking up.

I like your thinking :) but she's too smart for that to fool her. Also, unfortunately, the room is configured so it's next to an open kitchen so space is at a premium. :(

5 hours ago, Coytee said:

All the more reason to use the space efficiently.....  just saying!

:emotion-21:

Wife logic and our logic are on two different planes.

I'm retiring in about a decade. And when we move, the house will be chosen with strong consideration for Khorn placement ;)