Planning on changing amps from PP KT120 to SET 2A3

DjOverdose

Hi Again. I would like to ask your opinion on this. Currently I have a custom made Tube Pre amp and power amp. Power amp is a KT120 rated at roughly around 80WPC its powering my Klipsch RP 280F. I know its waaayyy to much for the speakers though they sound really good. however curiosity strikes again and was thinking if a 2A3 power Tube can power these Floorstanders. I know they are 98dB but is it enough for a 3-3.5W power amp? anyone tried this combo?

2a3 more betta...

I to am considering a nice 2a3 out of canada... then I just saw a really nice 2 watt 45 amp for sale and I am wondering what the Sonics differences are between a low watt 2a3 and a 45?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

2a3 more betta...

I to am considering a nice 2a3 out of canada... then I just saw a really nice 2 watt 45 amp for sale and I am wondering what the Sonics differences are between a low watt 2a3 and a 45?

The 45 is my favorite SET.  I had a Jeff Korneff 45 spooky real and the ELM solid plate 45 is amazing. 2A3's have more power and are quite nice too. You should listen to both before deciding. Dennis Had, founder of Cary Audio, is building 300B, 2A3 and 45 amps and selling them on epay. 

1 hour ago, DjOverdose said:

Hi Again. I would like to ask your opinion on this. Currently I have a custom made Tube Pre amp and power amp. Power amp is a KT120 rated at roughly around 80WPC its powering my Klipsch RP 280F. I know its waaayyy to much for the speakers though they sound really good. however curiosity strikes again and was thinking if a 2A3 power Tube can power these Floorstanders. I know they are 98dB but is it enough for a 3-3.5W power amp? anyone tried this combo?

It might be enough power depending on the music you prefer. IMHO, flea power is best with 100db+ speakers. YMMV.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i only have a small space for the speakers though. ive read somewhere that the reference are not that sensitive as advertised. 

since its a custom amp, i can have an option to switch from 2a3 to 300b with a togfle switch and from 2a3 to 45 by just adjusting the bias... 

• Like 1

I've used my 2A3 amps to drive a pair of Heresy II speakers to satisfying levels in a 21x23 for room. Without change the gain settings, though, reconnectiong to my LaScalas will be way too loud. Clean... but too liud for my tastes.

Are you having monoblocks built or a single chassis?

Bruce

I ran KHorns for several years using a custom 45 SET amp.  It was sheer bliss - bettered only by a similar circuit running PX4 valves (best I've heard).  I had people crying on the floor listening to their favorite music.  As good as the system sounded, I had a larger PP amp for when I wanted to play loud.  Even at +/- 105db, the Khorns came to life a bit more with the extra power.  My own call would be to have both amps at hand.  If after a time you are not listening to the big one at all, then sell it.  

Enjoy the world of SET.  They are superb.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 10:57 PM, moray james said:

suitability will depend upon the playback levels that you desire. A 300B will provide approximately three time the power of a 2A3 that should be lots for casual listening and more. I expect that you will be happy with the 2A3.

will update you guys once the amp is here. im very very excited... 

On 5/29/2019 at 2:16 AM, Marvel said:

I've used my 2A3 amps to drive a pair of Heresy II speakers to satisfying levels in a 21x23 for room. Without change the gain settings, though, reconnectiong to my LaScalas will be way too loud. Clean... but too liud for my tastes.

Are you having monoblocks built or a single chassis?

Bruce

ill be having it on a single chasis. another local builder told me that there is little difference from the mono blocks and single chasis. but cost wise theres alot. 

Heres the chasis of my 2a3 amp. itll be powered by a pair of jj2a3 40 rectified by 5u4gb tubes. i forgot the other tubes that will be put in. 

received_449901588902649.jpeg

received_2361953943890798.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 3:54 AM, Ziggurat said:

I ran KHorns for several years using a custom 45 SET amp.  It was sheer bliss - bettered only by a similar circuit running PX4 valves (best I've heard).  I had people crying on the floor listening to their favorite music.  As good as the system sounded, I had a larger PP amp for when I wanted to play loud.  Even at +/- 105db, the Khorns came to life a bit more with the extra power.  My own call would be to have both amps at hand.  If after a time you are not listening to the big one at all, then sell it.  

Enjoy the world of SET.  They are superb.

yes. thats what my plans are right now... i might just keep the kt120s. I will just going to put an A/B swith for my speakers. I had my custom preamps have 2 outputs specifically for putting 2 different amps. 

I too use a low powered set. I use a 45 tube. I often wonder if i'm doing it wrong because I should need more power for my Heresy III. I listen at lower volumes compared to others averaging at 80-85. I have a passive pre so I'm not even getting gain and I'm not using the max volume.  My room is 13 x19X10 with bass traps. Maybe because i mostly listen to rock and roll? I have a 300b amp just incase, I NEVER plug it in.   But it's important to have.  So i agree with the others, best to have a few different amps to try.  

16 hours ago, DjOverdose said:

another local builder told me that there is little difference from the mono blocks and single chasis. but cost wise theres alot. 

Quite true. Perhaps a bit better with the two separate power supplies, but it certainly makes the cost go up. Do you know what output transformers he is using?

20 hours ago, Marvel said:

Quite true. Perhaps a bit better with the two separate power supplies, but it certainly makes the cost go up. Do you know what output transformers he is using?

he does make his own output transformers. back here in Manila Philippines there are two local tube amp builders, Rene Rivo of Music haven and Andrew Sevilla of AMX audio. both of them can make custom amps depending on your requirements or specification. 

3 hours ago, DjOverdose said:

back here in Manila Philippines

I was just checking my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps to see if the power tranny was able to be set for different parts of the world. Good news is I will be able to take them to the Philippines when I retire there in a couple more years.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...