Any thoughts on the build quality and restoration of this Scott integrated amp? and also, how will it pair with my cornwall 1's

Thanks,

https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/austin-vintage-hh-scott-lk-72-tube/6874999857.html

Vintage H.H. SCOTT LK-72 Tube Integrated Amp (1961)
FULLY SERVICED, NEW TUNG SOL OUTPUT TUBE
This is a nice example of a vintage Scott LK-72 Tube amplifier. The LK-72 is the kit version of the 299C model.
This particular example has undergone a complete overhaul, and should provide many years of trouble-free service to its next owner. 
Background noise is minimal; this is a very quiet amplifier (for a tube amp).
Details of the service including the following:-
- All the potentiometers have been cleaned with Deoxit.
- A thermistor has been added to drop today’s higher line voltage, so that it is more in line with what was the standard at the time of the original design.
- All ceramic capacitors have been replaced.
- All electrolytic capacitors have been replaced.
- The aging (and now dangerous) selenium rectifier has been replaced with a modern (and much more reliable) silicon rectifier.
- The now hard-to-find 7199 tubes have been replaced with the more common 6GH8A tubes, using high quality ceramic adapters (the audible difference between the two tube types is negligible).
- The amplifier also comes with brand new set of Tung Sol 7591A output tubes, and should provide many hours of trouble free operation.

$950 - local & cash only, thanks for looking! 

01515_cRrBO5oDtVW_600x450.jpg

00S0S_lgSmKJxyopK_600x450.jpg

00u0u_bItNHNbdXWe_600x450.jpg

00K0K_5AuvCQK0Hho_600x450.jpg

If all of the listed restoration steps have indeed been done, then it's an OK deal, not a great deal.  Certainly audition if possible.  Cosmetics for vintage pieces like this are important.  Front panel should be clean and crisp.

Oh, and it would be very good with your CWs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mila1924 said:

if i can get him down to 850, would that be a more reasonable price for it?

Yes.  That one looks pretty clean from the photo.  I have one just like it and it sounds very good with my Cornwalls.  Mine was restored by NOSValves many years ago.  If the tech that restored the unit for sale did a good job, I think $850 is a fair price.

Just now, Seadog said:

Yes.  That one looks pretty clean from the photo.  I have one just like it and it sounds very good with my Cornwalls.  Mine was restored my NOSValves many years ago.  If the tech that restored the unit for sale did a good job, I think $850 is a fair price.

Me and Seadog, we brothers.....Love those brown face units.

• Like 2

My father had one of those in goldface. It's mine, now -- miss you, Dad. Very nice sounding amp.

Whatever you do, don't break or lose any of the knobs, as they are almost irreplaceable. The come up on ebay occasionally, but the sellers know what they have and charge accordingly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Morbius said:

The LK-72 is the kit version of the 299D, not the 299C. As such it would be most excellent with your Cornwalls as my son has the 299D and a pair of Cornscalas. Hard to beat with systems costing $30,000 and up.

Nope the LK72 is indeed the kit version of the 299C the LK72B is the kit version of the 299D

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the feedback.  I ended up offering the guy 800 and 2 records for the scott and he took it.  I think he was short on time and patience and since i was there with cash he took my offer.  He was very knowledgeable about the Scott, so i feel confident everything was done correctly. i got it home, played it, and it sounds amazing.  as i told SEADOG, it really handles and excels in so many more genres and varying record quality than the marantz did.  just bigger sound stage and overall less listening fatigue. now i just need to get someone to buy my 2252b marantz........ any takers???

• Like 1

On May 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM, mark1101 said:

I have had an LK-72 for many years and use with cornwalls.  Very nice in deed.  Highly recommend.  I would pay $950 for that unit.  Looks like they even went into the tone controls.

Hi,  when you said looks like they even went into the tone controls,  what exactly do you mean? I'm assuming thats a good thing? what do you think was done to the tone controls?

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On May 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM, mark1101 said:

I have had an LK-72 for many years and use with cornwalls.  Very nice in deed.  Highly recommend.  I would pay $950 for that unit.  Looks like they even went into the tone controls.

HI, Im looking to get a case for my LK 72.  I know mine has new tubes, do you think the high will have any impact on how a wood case for it will fit? 

Yes, if you use power tubes that are too tall the case won't fit.  I had this issue years ago when I tried to have one made.  However, both JJ and Tung Sol now have the right sized power tubes and so this should not be an issue.  prior, only EH had the 7591 tubes and they were huge.

On July 6, 2019 at 7:39 AM, mark1101 said:

Yes, if you use power tubes that are too tall the case won't fit.  I had this issue years ago when I tried to have one made.  However, both JJ and Tung Sol now have the right sized power tubes and so this should not be an issue.  prior, only EH had the 7591 tubes and they were huge.

since i have a set of Tung Sol 7591A output tubes would the ones that are too tall be obviously taller than the face plate? I'm trying to figure out if i have the new right sized ones you discribed or the ones that are too tall.  i tried to use a level to see how the tubes measure against the face plate.  the tubes are just a hair lower that the face.  that tells me the case would fit but just by a hair. IDK what the normal clearance is, so idk if that is normal or if thats too close.  what do you think?