HIP WOOFER

Frank merchant

58 minutes ago, billybob said:

ade in USA. Nothern state ..beins with a Bi Wisconsin, Mich...good speakers... Well known here.

Started out in 1927 in South Bend, Indiana...moved to Buchanan, MI in 1946...at one time they made a few models of speaker systems based upon PWK's K-horn....The Patrician was the top of that particular line for them, but it ran an 18" woofer  instead of a 15" one....even tho its bass bin was still based upon the K-horn design.  KIlipsch used EV woofers and tweeters for a number of years...the Klipsch K77 series tweeter is basically  identical to the EV T-35...both made by EV.  The EV products Klipsch used over the years in its loudspeakers were some of the best available at the time they were being used...EV sold off the T-35 tweeter tooling about two decades ago....which kinda put a number of companies in a bind...it is what it is....as far as woofers go, EV makes excellent ones...so does Eminence...out of Eminence, KY....currently the largest woofer maker in the world!  Klipsch has used Eminence woofers in many of its products for decades.  They are fairly reasonably priced and have a proven reputation for lasting a long time, if not abused.

Technology-wise, EV has been a major leader in it since shortly after it was founded....in all audio-related areas!

Can't say about what may be farmed out to China now but, will say the older speakers were not. Also, the speakers and not the cabs if so, should be good QC .

They do have a good report after all...if said what considering, sure we can advise.. 

This is on the EV website:

"We design and manufacture all our own transducers from the ground up, right here in the USA — the same unique EV loudspeaker designs you hear at stadium shows are crafted into each and every component we make, at every price point, no expense spared."

When I was about 8 years old, I saw an ad in a Bursten Appleby catalogue for an EV "golden throat" microphone.  I really wanted one, even though I had nothing to plug it into.  A few years later, when I was president of the 6th grade class, I got to speak into one at assemblies.  I was walking on air. 

It looked something like thisimage.png.d3f9291409b2e8858659d42f187df228.png

Later still, when I heard about Klipschorns, a dealer sneeringly said, "Well, if you like the EV sound ..."   I did, so no problem.