The Klipsch Audio Community
Aleksks

foreign language

1 minute ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...…..the famous quote should just end THERE, IMHO!

Santayana.

59 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Santayana.

YEP!  I just simplified it...intent is still there...former history teacher here...who ACTUALLY TAUGHT it...the "true historian" very old school way...show all sides to everything..preferably using original sources, if possible to do so...let the students draw their own conclusions and explain how they got them...if really on wrong track, then tell them what they missed out on when conclusion was drawn ..."sounds like you didn't consider everything...I don't know why...but here is what I THINK you might not have considered...."   History piling on top of history normally the issue...something isn't in the pile that should be!  MY STUDENTS actually LEARNED something...at a minimum, analytical skills!  I got lots of flack from unlearned parents, all of whom "fact-checked" me through professors they knew who generally responded "Well...that actually IS WHAT HAPPENED!  It might not be what YOU were taught, though!"...thank God! Text books generally are always skewed way too much!  I always freaked out my professors in college  on papers and such...especially in the Bibliography..."and exactly WHERE did you find THAT source?"   "It was in the campus library...general use section...but I REALLY THINK it belongs in the rare book collection, myself"  "It certainly DOES! I have never even seen a copy, and had NO IDEA the library had one!" "So, I guess I need to tell them when I turn it in, right?"  "YOU STILL HAVE IT OUT????"   "Well, YES!  After all, without a note from YOU, how will I be able to get into the rare book collection?" Too funny...happened EVERY TIME!   Straight A's!!  Auguste Mau: Pompeii, its Art and Life  (three volumes, huge books, in as perfect of condition as could be imagined...all 1st editions...leather-bound!)  But a number of erroneous conclusions on "It's Life" part of it, but I had photos which I had taken myself a number of years earlier on my visits there to back up MY OWN conclusions!  All of the other rare books involved would take too much time to write about...So I will leave it alone at this Point in time.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I wouldn't have claimed bone spurs though if something had happened.

I had a "button-hole" dislocation of my left elbow the day after I graduated from high school...a pretty serious injury!  Actually, it is something that can very easily keep a person from being able to join the military at all!  I worked very hard trying to hide it for over 30 years, because I failed to disclose it when I joined!...about a year after it occurred...never disclosed it, but the injury eventually  led to a "Tommy John" surgery being required on my left arm to re-locate the main nerve there when I was in my 50's...mostly due to the original elbow injury...I never bothered to claim anything on it, though!...even though I COULD HAVE!...just based upon "residuals" from the surgery!  I'm kinda funny that way!  During basic and infantry AIT in 72, I had to sneak out every nite and rope climb a 60-ft rope using only my hands and arms to strenghthn up that left elbow so that I could go to Airborne training after AIT...you do what you gotta do!...to get what you wanna get!  You risk what you gotta risk, too sometimes...if what you finally got requires it!  Life is all about decisions made...there are other factors...but that is the MAIN one!  I am actually very lucky to have lived this long, and am not in any hurry to meet my maker...besides, he will take me when he wants to anyway!  I am a man at peace with that!  Each time I wake up I thank Him for allowing me to do so!  A person without goals is already as good as dead!  And I have plenty of goals to reach if I still CAN reach them, and the time left to try to reach them! That's the way I look at things!

Want to/need to learn Tagalog. Spanish would also be rather practical.

My wife, obviously, speaks Tagalog (and is okay with some other Filipino dialects), some Mandarin, after spending eight years teaching in China, some Japanese after studying in Japan, and English.

Bruce

21 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

That's too easy....just call people "racist", "Nazi", fascist",  etc...as often as possible, and as loudly as possible whenever you don''t get your way about things; limit yourself to the use of words with two syllables or less...and speak with a whiny voice and angry/sad face...and...don't forget to totally disrespect your elders at every opportunity!  See how easy it is??

Fwiw, I think you need to look at the older Americans who may not realize they exhibit those negative traits and blaming younger people is just what some old people do....

13 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:
13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Winner winner chicken dinner!  Plus, Barry was OGenX.

He was also claiming to be a foreign national at his draft age! 

I don't think this is true but part of the now debunked "Birther" conspiracy....I won't go further as not to get political but THIS is how disinformation is spread on the internet.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:17 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Trump...Obama was too young to get drafted

For myself, I was in the final draft lottery...but none of us got drafted!  My number was 331...so would never have gotten drafted anyway!  I still volunteered, though in June, 1972!...at 19

I was in the same lottery. My number was 232. Don’t think I will ever forget that number! 

On 5/11/2019 at 4:18 AM, Aleksks said:

Whay foreign languages do you know or would like to learn?

I'd like to learn the following foreign languages, in approximate order:

1: Spanish, mainly because I already know some Spanish, and it's probably one of the easiest languages to learn for an English-speaker.

2: German

3: Japanese, because I love Japanese culture so much, especially anime. I list it third because Japanese is a COMPLETELY different language from English, very difficult for us to learn but it seems challenging and I love to tackle challenges:) With language learning sites, the task is less challenging

Spanish & German:   When I was in high school, my Dad urged me to take LATIN, which my high school offered...so I DID SO...two years of it!  He had explained to me, that above all else, it would help me out in understanding virtually any language used anywhere which may have been under Roman Occupation during the days of Ancient Rome, or which used the Roman alphabet...to include English and other Germanic languages.  He told me to look in the encyclopedia for a map of the furthest extent of the Roman Empire, and said that any place within that area would either have a Latin-rooted Romance language, or would have MANY Latin roots for words in the language.

Even with my limited education in Latin, I found out that he was absolutely correct later while in Europe!...since I was originally assigned in Germany and then my entire unit was transferred to Italy.  I also found that even if I could not actually CONVERSATIONALLY SPEAK a language any place I went, then I could normally figure it out in its WRITTEN form, and more easily learn TO SPEAK IT to at least some extent!...Since English actually IS a Germanic-root language, with many Latin-root words in it from ancient times(among other root-words!), it is also very similar to German in many of the same wayst  I have never had any formal training in any  other language than English and Latin, but I did just fine everywhere I went in Europe...and I went to almost every NATO nation at one time or another!...and a few that weren't!   So, with my Latin and English background...along with varying degrees of language immersion in different countries, I was 'good to go" in Europe!  Language background along with DEGREE OF IMMERSION is what makes learning other languages happen the easiest, ESPECIALLY for becoming CONVERSATIONAL in those other languages, IMHO!

Japanese: The military separates languages into three major categories...with "CHARACTER languages" being the most difficult to learn...simply because it is a totally different type of language-learning  situation.  There are single characters and/or combinations of them in written form, but in spoken form they may NOT equal the sum of the pronunciations of the characters involved, at all!  Japanese is one of them...Chinese, Korean, and others are also in that category. Normally, character languages using visually-similar characters were originally derived from one individual character language within that grouping...it is generally believed that both Korean and Japanese, in their WRITTEN forms were derived from the Chinese characters, due to visual similarities, but keep in mind that even though character languages may share similarities with WRITTEN characters, they often DO NOT share those same similarities when spoken! 

My wife speaks Tagalog, Boholano-Visayan, English, and Arabic...along with SOME Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, German and other languages thrown in!...as does our three of her sisters, and many of our extended Filipino-family-members!  This is VERY COMMON in the Philippines!...due to education in school, native use in the home, tourism industry, and/or time working-abroad (which very many Filipinos DO!..or HAVE DONE!)  Compared to my WIFE and HER FAMILY, I would have to consider MYSELF being quite the ILLITERATE individual!

On 5/12/2019 at 6:52 AM, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I think you need to look at the older Americans who may not realize they exhibit those negative traits and blaming younger people is just what some old people do....

FWIW, I think that you think TOO MUCH about what others need to be doing!😂

On 5/12/2019 at 6:52 AM, Zen Traveler said:

Get off of my lawn!

• Haha 1

Who actually spoke Latin?

As in... where did the language originate?

Please don't say Lat.

5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Who actually spoke Latin?

As in... where did the language originate?

Please don't say Lat.

Latin was originally spoken in Latium (on the Italian Peninsula), and Ancient Romans finalized its written development.  Julius Caesar is most often cited as one of the best EFFFICIENT writers of Latin, though...he was always short, concise and directly to-the-point in his reports back to the Senate (and the people) of Rome in describing his conquest(s) in Gaul.  Caeasar's Gallic War(s) is a compilation of those reports, and is normally a large part of the textbooks used to teach Latin!  You can't get MUCH MORE EFFICIENT than Veni Vidi Vici..."I came, I saw, I conquered!"  LOL!

My military experience tends to make me understand WHY he was so efficient in writing Latin....I can just see it now...him relaxing with his immediate subordinate officers while sharing a few jugs of captured wine with them....."So, no chit, there I was... right after yesterday's battle ended, and I'm running around to all of you to ensure we are prepared for a counter-attack....and up walks my adjutant, handing me a courier pouch and telling me it is from those useless jerks in the Senate...and that the courier is waiting to return with a reply....So I open it up, and the note inside says "What the hell is going on up there in Gaul?  You haven't told us anything in almost a month now!"  So, I tell the adjutant I don't have time for this chit, and I just quickly scribbled on the back of their stupid note: "Veni VIdi Vici" and signed it "Caesar" and sent it back to them!  Don't those morons understand I'M BUSY AS HELL FIGHTING A WAR UP HERE?  WTF??" 😉

• Thanks 1

At this rate, I will never get a grip on English, but I am language handicapped being from Louisiana. 

3 hours ago, dtel said:

At this rate, I will never get a grip on English, but I am language handicapped being from Louisiana. 

There you go again, beating-up on yourself, again, and not giving anybody else a chance to beat you to it!😉

I am always open, no use in hiding, to old for all that

Confederate is my native tongue. Can make myself understood in England, & the united States.

• Like 1