CF3's ... Tampa, FL ... by Dinklage?

Emile

24 minutes ago, opusk2k9 said:

I like a post with a good sense of humor.

I just got my CF-3 v1 fully working with the help of a forum member.

They have some punch to them.

They sure do have a hefty punch, don't they?  However, I find it odd that the serial numbers, model and finish information has completely "faded away", while the signatures are perfectly fine.  I think that's still a good price for any of the three revisions, no need to hide that information.

I like the A/B setup with the JBL L100 speakers on their stands.  Anyone remember that iconic Maxell tape ad?

maxell-ad.jpg

• Like 1

Did not see the faded numbers. Was mostly trying to figure out if the "little person" (haha; politically correct) is selling them ... or maybe he is a family friend ... does not look like it is "photo-shopped."

• Emile changed the title to CF3's ... Tampa, FL ... by Dinklage?
1 hour ago, opusk2k9 said:

They have some punch to them.

Maybe an under-statement...

The version 3 pair I had  hit hard and fast. Like a hammer.

The awesome horn almost masks the impact.

It only became apparent how hard they hit when I went upstairs in my sons room with the door closed while they were playing in the living room and felt the impact without the upper frequencies present.

The imaging in the sweet spot is quite the ear opener too.

Only sold them after the first pair of LaScalas graced my living room.

I’ve said this before, but for those of us that have heard the CF-3’s or CF-4’s, imagine a “CF-5” with dual 15” woofers and a K-510 in the middle... Yikes!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:28 PM, geoff. said:

imagine a “CF-5” with dual 15” woofers and a K-510 in the middle...

Haha; interesting ... have a spare pair of K-510's ... any thought on which woofers to use?

That looks like a gray horn.  Should be version 1.  A s/n or measuring the length of the port at 5.5" will confirm my guess. 

I have the average price on CF-3's at $621.  Those looks really well cared for and worth every bit of the $650 the Seller is asking.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha; interesting ... have a spare pair of K-510's ... any thought on which woofers to use?

The characteristic sound of the CF-4 is not low bass extension, but ultra low distortion and clarity.  The woofers move very little, like a pro driver.

These closeout Celestion woofers are perfect, $50 each.  I own a pair I put into some DIY 2-ways.

https://www.parts-express.com/celestion-t5744a--sp-1500-15-300-watt-professional-woofer-8-ohm--299-2328

Here are the free plans.

http://www.hificircuit.com/community/threads/celestion-15-buyout-and-seos12-dna360.197/

That 15" woofer is in the Cheap Thrills sitting on top of my CF-4's.

921994760_CheapThrillonCF-4small.thumb.jpg.8defb546685cf7a984aec0bf24939d08.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

These closeout Celestion woofers are perfect, $50 each. 

Thanks @wvu80 :D  Might be worth a shot. (Not in a hurry; longer term project.) Only negative about those Celestions is the 45Hz low end.  Any thoughts on KPT-904's woofers and horns (have a set and LOVE them), in a CF style box?

Thanks, Emile

7 minutes ago, Emile said:

Only negative about those Celestions is the 45Hz low end.  Any thoughts on KPT-904's woofers and horns (have a set and LOVE them), in a CF style box?

Absolutely not a problem!  Here's why:

The Cheap Thrills were designed from the beginning to be used with a sub, not as a full range speaker.  That makes the 2-way speakers into a 3-way system once the sub is added in.  It's that incredible articulate mid-range that makes the CF-4's so great, and an MTM CF-5 should follow that philosophy.  A CF-5 is an idea whose time has come.

• Thanks 1