Wow just wow!

y2keglide

Just hooked my new to me HH Scott tube set (just serviced with new tubes and re-capped) with my recently acquired '72 Klipsch Khorns and holly mother of God this set sounds fantastic!
Hooked up my just serviced and with a new stylus Marantz turntable with a clean vinyl copy of Pink Floyd Dark Side and wow just wow!
I'm a happy camper tonight! :D

049.JPG

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Seadog said:

I'm sure it sounds great.  I once tried my Scott 130 pre with a 208 using Cornwalls and that sound really good.  Is the 355 basically a 130 with a tuner?

I have no idea but I found this looking for specs.

The 355 was introduced as a more versatile replacement for the older 399; as such, it was the only Stereo Preamp-Tuner product ever produced by Scott.

As a Tuner/Preamp (similar to the older 331-series) the 355 had no basic power amplifier section like the 399 Receiver. Instead the 355 provided a cathode follower, line-level, preamp out --
Just add the
basic power amp of your choice, usually a Scott Type 208, but Mac's and Dyna's were also popular choices.

The 355 added true FM-MPX stereo reception utilizing the 350/335 decoder design, incorporating the "Stereo Guide,"
6AV6 tube indicator.

As
"Simulcast Stereo" was becoming obsolete, the 355 was the only Scott AM/FM tuner to share a (very rare) common circular tuning dial. Scott engineers cleverly resurrected the 300/320 tuning gang, but thankfully left the more complex dial-cord string and slide-rule dial inventory untouched.

To accommodate a matching power amp;
 Scott offered the optional,
208 Power Amp; a modular piggy-back, design derived from the 7591-based 299-C amp. All audio connections, accessory AC, and antenna jacks were top-mounted on the shortened chassis, to facilitate the matching 208 "piggy-back" package.

18 tubes:

6-tube, Pre-Amplifier section:

(4)
12AX7 - preamps
(1) 12AU7 - cathode follower
(1) 6CA4 rectifier

5-tube, FM Tuner section:
(1) 6BS8/6BQ7 - FM RF amp
(1) 6U8A FM mixer
(3) 6AU6 (shared w/AM)

5-tube, MPX section

(1) 6AV6 (6GX8) ("Stereo Guide")