AV receiver for System

Sammy81

I used to own the nr686. I LOVED the sound quality from the amps. Best sound quality of any AVR I've tried. Really warm and powerful. The 165W is most definitely a lie, but just listening to it makes you believe you're getting a lot of those watts anyways. 

I haven't any experience with the rz830, but can only imagine it will be even better than the nr686.

The reason I got rid of the nr686 was the room correction software. I've read conflicting opinions on the accuEQ... I myself hate it. I tried the software on my own klipsch system and after it was done, my speakers sounded distorted as hell. After that one time, the right front speaker had a very distinct buzz-noice when playing through any amp or avr. I ended up contacting a service center and had a new tweeter installed. However, I really recommend the onkyos you've mentioned up there. If the money is there, I'd go for the rz830 for sure, but if not, I guarantee the nr686 won't disappoint. Just stay away from the room correction software haha. I imagine that what happened to me was a really special case, but just gotta speak my truth and say what happened.

Now I've got a Marantz SR5013 (sister cocmpany of Denon). Not at all as good and warm as the nr686 when it comes to sound quality, but I've read that Marantz have more reliable HDMI ports than Onkyo. In addition, I found that doing the bass management correctly on the Marantz was more challenging than on the Onkyo. 

All in all, if you use your system for music from time to time, I'd go for Onkyo. Remember, room correction can also be done manually. Way more fun in my opinion. If you're all HT, Denon would be the right choice. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  You will get a lot of opinions but as I suggest to everyone, you need to have a list of features that are "must have" and really listen to the units that you're considering and decide which one fits your personal taste for sound.  In my experience, having had many different brands and models, they will produce different sound, typically, a lot of that sound will be the same or very similar within a specific manufacturer at a given price range but Onkyo doesn't sound like Marantz or the Denon models.  Another consideration will be how much music versus movies will the receiver be used for, and depending on that answer, it could be more about features and which built in room EQ program might serve you better.

Another approach that many hear have used it to pick up a recent, but used model that you're considering, use it, see if you like it and if not, sell it and go onto the next until you find what you really like.

Sorry if that wasn't a lot of help, but nobody here, including me, can tell you what you are going to like, just opinions based on what we like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pete H said:

Welcome to the forum.  You will get a lot of opinions but as I suggest to everyone, you need to have a list of features that are "must have" and really listen to the units that you're considering and decide which one fits your personal taste for sound.  In my experience, having had many different brands and models, they will produce different sound, typically, a lot of that sound will be the same or very similar within a specific manufacturer at a given price range but Onkyo doesn't sound like Marantz or the Denon models.  Another consideration will be how much music versus movies will the receiver be used for, and depending on that answer, it could be more about features and which built in room EQ program might serve you better.

Another approach that many hear have used it to pick up a recent, but used model that you're considering, use it, see if you like it and if not, sell it and go onto the next until you find what you really like.

Sorry if that wasn't a lot of help, but nobody here, including me, can tell you what you are going to like, just opinions based on what we like. 

Thanks for the reply

I am mostly going to use it for movies and tv shows occasionally for music but majority for movies. Looking for a budget friendly receiver

Thanks

13 hours ago, Sammy81 said:

Thanks for the reply

I am mostly going to use it for movies and tv shows occasionally for music but majority for movies. Looking for a budget friendly receiver

Thanks

Budget friendly you say... Onkyo TX-NR686 I say

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, Sammy81 said:

Will the Onkyo TX-NR686 or Onkyo TX-RZ830

Upgraded from the 686 to an RZ-810 ... definitely better. Only use it to drive 3 Heresy's, but pretty sure you'll have enough power for your speakers.

Cheers, Emile