Women’s lacrosse headgear?

DizRotus

Goggles, but not helmets, what’s with that?  The following link to this NPR program caused me to reexamine my position on the issue.

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2019/05/10/girls-lacrosse-helmet-headgear-eyewear

Full disclosure, I have no daughters, I played football, and one of my sons played football.  I’m part of the Boston University concussion study.   I have often commented that if I had a daughter who played lacrosse, I’d want her to wear a helmet.  After listening to this NPR episode, I’m not so sure.

An imperfect analogy can be made to sprint car racing, believe it or not.  Many argue that helmets, fire suits, full roll cages and wings, which protect the drivers better than jockey helmets, T-shirts and roll bars, allow drivers to be more aggressive, which results in a net increase in dangerous consequences.

What say you?

1 hour ago, dtel said:

They should have a helmet with a full face guard, no reason to have any less.

Accidents happen.

Elden,

Did you listen to the segment?  I used to think as you do before listening to the NPR piece; now I'm not so certain.

I would expect that as knowledge deepens and technology offers more options, that protective gear could be tailored to a sport. That is the case made here. They claim/explain that specially designed goggles protects ‘girls’ lacrosse players better than helmets against the ‘types’ of injuries ‘girls’ typically suffer. I emphasized ‘girls’ because this does not apply to ‘boys’ lacrosse where a more physical game is allowed to be played. But they went beyond this claim and suggested that wearing helmets actually caused girls to play more recklessly resulting in more injuries. It would be nice if someone showed the data to support their assertions. I also wonder how long before transgender men encroach on the sport. Curious times indeed.

I had a son in football. He was headed to college on football scholarship until a concussion evaluation discovered a congenital neck problem. No more contact sports for him. I was glad. He enjoyed the game but it was too crazy for me. Nick’s a big guy and was often targeted because of his size. Well high school boys are big, strong and naive and aggressive..... and the coaches wanted the ‘wins’. It is scary how emotional some avid sports folks are.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Elden,

Did you listen to the segment?  I used to think as you do before listening to the NPR piece; now I'm not so certain.

I have to say no, I said that just looking at the pictures with only half a face shield and thought it was leaving to much of these young girls faces exposed. I just thought one accident and it would change a girls life.

I will go back and look.

• Moderators

Ok sorry but I am still not buying it, warn teams ahead of time and penalize if they get aggressive or disqualify, but protect the kids.

What are the odds that every team they play will play clean, they can make it look like an accident to take someone out but that person is still hurt. 

To me the problem with "trying to preserve the integrity of the game" by wearing less protective headwear is dangerous,  not everyone plays or coaches with integrity so that is the problem, not even counting just plain accidents. 

A stray ball or even an unintentional hit could be a problem. 

Just my opinion, that's all, I don't really even know the sport but looking from the outside I like the protection more.                         let the kids have fun but be safe. 

• Like 1