Vintage Cast Iron?

willland

Ever since I bought my first cast iron skillet(Lodge no. 8) for Christmas two years ago, I can't seem to put it down.  I visited my 89 years old mom in Macon this past weekend and she gave me two of her old skillets, a no. 8 Griswold and a no. 5 no name.  I attached a couple of photos to see if anyone could tell me the brand and or vintage.  I bought two other ones from a lady on Macon's craigslist, a no. 3 Wagner Ware and a no. 5 no name but pretty sure it is a BSR made after 1960.  Full restoration today on my day off.

Any help would be great.

Bill

Number 5 Skillet bottom.jpg

Number 5 Skillet Top.jpg

No Name Number 5 Skillet.jpg

• Like 3

Just looked at my two.  The smaller has a "5 E" and the larger one can't be deciphered due to wear/buildup.  I don't use soap to wash, just wipe out with paper towel, rinse with water, dry, and then oil.  They were my mother's for many years and now I use them fairly often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, windashine said:

… o O (if this is any help...) I'd just call that a Wappler Hammer, and hang it on a nail in the garage...

Thanks for the "help":unsure2:, but why is that?  The vintage skillets are great to cook with, unless severely warped, and some, if not most pre 1960 are highly collectible and some even after that.

Bill

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, willland said:

Thanks for the "help":unsure2:, but why is that?  The vintage skillets are great to cook with, unless severely warped, and some, if not most pre 1960 are highly collectible and some even after that.

Bill

I think he was being funny.

Don't ever wash any cast iron cookware with dish soap, or any chemicals.

@willland What do you mean, exactly, when you say you're going to "restore" them?  It's taken decades to achieve that patina!

18 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

I think he was being funny.

Don't ever wash any cast iron cookware with dish soap, or any chemicals.

@willland What do you mean, exactly, when you say you're going to "restore" them?  It's taken decades to achieve that patina!

Well, some of the "patina" and seasoning is full of crud and flaking.  I will use the self cleaning oven method on low for two hours and after cooling, most of the crud will wash right off with rinsing with warm water.  Then scour the entire pan with 00 steel wool and ivory soap to remove any of the remaining old seasoning.  I will dry then bone dry and then start the new seasoning process with Crisco.

I learned all this from this guy and it is a great method to restore vintage cast iron pans and to create an even patina and seasoning.  

http://theculinaryfanatic.com/cast-iron-restoration-maintenance/restoration-maintenance-videos/

Bill

• Like 4

Yes sometimes can need re season, then just a wipe with a clean dishcloth preferred . Always took me awhile to learn. Generally allow iron to get hottish anyway before oil/shortening so not a concern. In the oven or on top, cornbread, pone, fry, stir fry, meatloaf and versatile for home and of course... camping.

3 hours ago, willland said:

Ever since I bought my first cast iron skillet(Lodge no. 8) for Christmas two years ago, I can't seem to put it down....  

Wow, your strong!

Seriously, nobody likes to eat rust so a little refurb sounds like a good idea.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff, the guy in the video likes to completely strip new Lodge skillets and apply his own seasoning.  I get that because Lodge pans, though pre-seasoned from factory, have a rough sort of powder coating-like finish that though is very durable, does not have that smooth antique patina of the old cast iron.  I like my Lodge skillet the way it is and it has gotten even more "no stick" over time with continued use.

http://theculinaryfanatic.com/cast-iron-restoration-maintenance/restoration-maintenance-videos/

Bill

12 minutes ago, babadono said:

Wash mine EVERY time I use it. Different strokes for different folks.

I rinse with warm water and scour with chain mail scrubber if needed.  Dry thoroughly and a little vegetable oil applied and wiped dry not not wet and sticky.

SMYLLS Stainless Steel 316 L Cast Iron Cleaner Chainmail Scrubber for Waffle Iron Pans,Seasoned Pan,Grill - Best Pot Brush (8Ã6 inch)

Bill