Vintage Cast Iron?

willland

10 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I have a chest freezer about 200 miles away...LOL!  Just isn't enough room for it in this tiny apartment, though...but will be when I move this year to another location!  I have a seal-a-meal vacuum-packer for stuff to be put into the freezer though!  I used to just cook most of my wild game meat up, after butchering it...then freeze it for later use...like whatever bits and pieces I was NOT not gonna grill and such...ground lots of it up for other things...which I cooked without adding things that didn't freeze well...like chili without beans and spaghetti meat-sauce without mushrooms and such!!  Dump it into seal-a-meal pouches, seal and freeze it....then take it out , drop into posts of warm water to thaw it on stove, empty water outta pot and dump out the bags into pot after that and then  add in what was missing: beans, mushrooms, whatever...and simmer it for awhile, til ready to eat!  Too easy!  Same for breakfast sausage...I would make up from the ground wild meat (with ground smoked fat trimmed at butcher from smoked pork shops! for a binding agent and to provide grease for cooking eggs!)..COARSE-grind the meat, and fat, mix together with seasoning...GRIND IT ALL AGAIN TO FINER TEXTUREl...roll into 2-3 lb "logs", and put into seal-a-meal pouches and freeze for later use!  I normally took two deer per weekend until all tags were filled...spent some time thru the following week prepping for freezing (while quarters were still on ice!) ...detail-butchering going on as I did it all!  Permanent-Marker used to write date and what is in bag on the bags before putting into freezer!  It CAN keep in freezer up to two years if no air in sealed pouches!...but is normally all consumed in well-under one HALF a year!

Sounds like a good idea. Yes I have items 100 miles away. Venison I eat whenever the opportunity to do so arises. A sister in law is very industrious.

Debones and wraps separate portions in freezer paper. Baching

again after some can be a hoot.

Lol, good fortune.

We used a small iron skillet for corn bread, even Jiffy.

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Sounds like a good idea. Yes I have items 100 miles away. Venison I eat whenever the opportunity to do so arises. A sister in law is very industrious.

Debones and wraps separate portions in freezer paper. Baching

again after some can be a hoot.

Lol, good fortune.

Not really a bachelor here...just don't have wife here from Phils right now!...so kinda  "batching it" til she gets here!

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, billybob said:

Same here, Jiffy is not bad, I add a little sugar so it's not bland, and the grandkids like it a tiny bit sweet....... and or jalapenos.

Biscuits are a favorite of mine, 50% buttermilk and 50% self-rising flour, couldn't be easier and they're much lighter than the pre-made biscuit mix stuff. A few tablespoons of oil and drop the mix in lumps around the pan until it's full and bake @450 until done. They do separate, how or why I don't know, the oil?

house.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Yes you can doll Jiffy up ...

Those look good.

5 hours ago, dtel said:

Same here, Jiffy is not bad, I add a little sugar so it's not bland, and the grandkids like it a tiny bit sweet....... and or jalapenos.

Biscuits are a favorite of mine, 50% buttermilk and 50% self-rising flour, couldn't be easier and they're much lighter than the pre-made biscuit mix stuff. A few tablespoons of oil and drop the mix in lumps around the pan until it's full and bake @450 until done. They do separate, how or why I don't know, the oil?

house.jpeg

Yes, have dolled up Jiffy...

Those look great.

• Moderators

They are good, I usually cook that many, mostly because when the extras cool I put them in freezer bags for another day. They freeze really well and when you nuke them up it's just as good as the original.

• Thanks 1

Well, read the whole thread as I also am a major cast iron user. I have a shortcake pan dated 1856 and a huge griddle that's been in the family at least 75 years. I use no soap or water. My mom taught me to simply rinse while at cooking temperature in cold water. Comes perfectly clean and needs only a wipe with a towel. I haven't had to re season one in decades. As to bacon fat, I save and use every drop of the stuff. Essential for southern milk gravy, seasoning many green vegies, browning meat, etc. Have to eat a lot of bacon to keep the supply up. Of course, bacon fat basted fried eggs are the best. 

Cholesterol? Humbug...  My doctor says my cholesterols aren't just good, but stellar. So is my weight. My grandmother was eating pure pork fat at 100 years old and had all her life. Maybe it's heredity, but I find all the talk about the virtues of vegetable oil and such to be rubbish. 

Back to cast iron, even more in love with it on an induction surface. Heats in maybe 2 minutes and I am able to simmer with no danger of scorching. Love it!

Dave

• Moderators
On 5/17/2019 at 4:00 AM, willland said:

Speaking of cast iron.

That is some really good prices, if I needed any I would order, I was tempted but couldn't figure out why I needed more. :lol:

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

That is some really good prices, if I needed any I would order, I was tempted but couldn't figure out why I needed more. :lol:

Yeah me too.  Very tempted by the 12" skillet for $19.92.

Bill

• Like 1

Brother-in-law loves cast iron and smoking/bbq, even in the winter here. Thanks to one other thread, I’m collecting bbq rub recipes, and now I’m going on a hunt for some old cast iron. I know he has some but getting an old piece might be fun. Thanks to all, not only have I learned about audio but toasters, bbq rub, and vintage cast iron!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Brother-in-law loves cast iron and smoking/bbq, even in the winter here. Thanks to one other thread, I’m collecting bbq rub recipes, and now I’m going on a hunt for some old cast iron. I know he has some but getting an old piece might be fun. Thanks to all, not only have I learned about audio but toasters, bbq rub, and vintage cast iron!

Winter, is actually the best time TO smoke meats...more smoke-flavor actually gets into the meat, itself when the outside temperature is down...when you look at the smoke that is escaping a smoker during cool or cold weather, it goes down instead of up, like it does in warmer weather...the smoke is also denser in the cooler months...so, when you slice into the smoked meat, the "smoky" darker red band under the outside surface is thicker!  Same amount of time smoking, but more smoke flavor!😉

• Moderators
1 hour ago, willland said:
1 hour ago, dtel said:

Yeah me too.  Very tempted by the 12" skillet for $19.92.

Bill

Ok, I lied but only by not knowing.:lol:

I was thinking the 2 pans I use like for biscuits were 12" but I went and measured them and they are both 10", one with 2" sides and one with 3" sides.

So the wife is going this evening to the local wallyworld here to get the 12", they say there in stock. I hope so especially for $20, I'm so easy I even get excited about a new pot/pan. :blush: A 12" with 3.25" sides would be handy, I just did not need more duplicates since they all will outlast me.

• Like 1

• Moderators

OK another change in plans, we ended up ordering online and it should be here in 2 days. When I went back to look at it I noticed there was the same exact pan with the cast iron lid for $7.84 more so being the tight xxx I am I looked up to see how much a lid is. The lid alone is over $25.00 so we just ordered the one online with the lid. Shipping was $5.99 so by ordering something she was going to the store for in the next couple of days anyway made it eligible for free shipping. Cheap yes I am. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-12-quot-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet-with-12-quot-Cast-Iron-Lid/572761967

$26.76 lid

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-12-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Cover-L10SC3-12-Inch-Diameter/22577720

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dtel said:

OK another change in plans, we ended up ordering online and it should be here in 2 days. When I went back to look at it I noticed there was the same exact pan with the cast iron lid for $7.84 more so being the tight xxx I am I looked up to see how much a lid is. The lid alone is over $25.00 so we just ordered the one online with the lid. Shipping was $5.99 so by ordering something she was going to the store for in the next couple of days anyway made it eligible for free shipping. Cheap yes I am. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-12-quot-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet-with-12-quot-Cast-Iron-Lid/572761967

$26.76 lid

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-12-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Cover-L10SC3-12-Inch-Diameter/22577720

That's not cheap, it's frugal!

Best bang for the buck! :-)

John Kuthe...

• Moderators

I do it with everything it seems, I search things to death to get the best deal. 

A perfect example that 12" pan on sale for $19.99 is normally $3950, the one like I have ordered is the exact same pan but with the cover and the normal price is $37.50. Same exact pan, same brand and exactly the same description, so if you did not look you would pay $2 more to not have the cover at the normal prices.

It's just crazy, I find things like this all the time. 

I found the same thing when I was replacing the 3 blades on my finishing mower, an online store in Georgia, blades were about $65, a little cheaper than normal,  after looking a little I found the same store, same address and shipping price but on eBay, at $39. for the exact same thing.

• Moderators

Well, it came and it is slightly different, the sides are not as deep as advertised but still great for what I wanted it for and it's built well and heavy.  It will go great with the others, I am a little surprised how well it's made and seasoned, it's only the second Lodge I have and I will not hesitate to get more if it's a size I need.

It's in the oven now for the second time today adding a little more seasoning to what looked like a really good start from the factory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Well, it came and it is slightly different, the sides are not as deep as advertised but still great for what I wanted it for and it's built well and heavy.  It will go great with the others, I am a little surprised how well it's made and seasoned, it's only the second Lodge I have and I will not hesitate to get more if it's a size I need.

It's in the oven now for the second time today adding a little more seasoning to what looked like a really good start from the factory. 

Yes those modern Lodge pieces are really thick and built well.  Some(traditionalists) don't like the sandy'ish feel but over time, and more "coats" of seasoning, it does smooth out some and becomes more no stick.  

Some, like this guy, completely remove the factory seasoning and apply his own.  I can understand that.

Bill