Warning: Beware of Offers to Sell by PM

Chad

• Administrators

If you have had dealings or communications with this user in the past, please halt. They are a known scammer and were banned a few weeks ago after I was alerted to it.

They will claim to have a buddy in Texas and try to get you to pay for something with Western Union (which is just a good idea to avoid anyway). This scammer was actually from Nigeria and was phishing.

Edit by Travis 12/27: This scam continues to thrive. IF YOU RECEIVE A PM with a message that someone else has the item and contact them at an email address, odds are it's a scam and be on the highest alert. Be especially aware of Members with little or no posting history.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

• Chad pinned this topic

To be fair, I have used Western Union, MoneyGram and Xoom (now owned by PayPal), and Paypal, to send money to various places, both here and overseas. Never had an issue or lost money.  BUT, I always knew the receiver on the other end of the transaction.

Folks trying to scam you can do it various ways, and the problem isn't necessarily the transfer service.

Bruce

Great catch.   I dealt with him regarding a pair fo Chorus speakers.   Yes to Walmart cards and super sketchy.   It was until I tracked down the address was a place for sale, and no way matched the pictures they were using.   I was new to the forum and luckily decided to push back and that is when he became upset and the poor English gave him away. 

Too bad I was really trying to make a Klipsch purchase work but gave up and went with a Zu Audio dirty weekend for $1,000.  We shall see how they perform upon receipt. 

Loren

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/13/2019 at 9:26 AM, Chad said:

If you have had dealings or communications with this user in the past, please halt. They are a known scammer and were banned a few weeks ago after I was alerted to it.

They will claim to have a buddy in Texas and try to get you to pay for something with Western Union (which is just a good idea to avoid anyway). This scammer was actually from Nigeria and was phishing.

Thank You 

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:18 AM, dwilawyer said:

Yes, beware of the Western Union scammers.   

My friend was selling a bike on Craig's List and a scammer/buyer sent him a Western Union money order for three times the purchase price with instructions to just refund any excess after he finds out what the shipping cost is. Turns out the MO was fake. Fortunately my friend checked out the MO before he did anything else.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

Reposted this to make it more about the method of the scam. This will continue, not just here, but all Forums. 

You want to be vary, vary wary of any transaction where they insist on Western Union, or cards you purchase, etc. This isn't individuals in the USA typically, these are international fraud rings based all over the world. Law Enforcement cannot help you if you fall victim typically because payment is by cash equivalent.  

This scam continues to thrive. IF YOU RECEIVE A PM with a message that someone else has an item and contact them at an email address, odds are it's a scam and be on the highest alert. Be especially aware of Members with little or no posting history.

If you post a WTB or WANTED type post in Garage Sale for an item worth a good amount, be prepared to receive a PM from someone saying they know someone with that item for sale with an email address. They may even say they have it directly. They will have few or even zero posts in their profile. 

IF YOU RECEIVE A PM YOU SUSPECT IS A SCAM, FLAG IT. IT GOES TO ALL MODERATORS AND WE WILL BAN THAT PERSON AS A SPAMMER IF IT DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE LEGITIMATE

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

be vary, vary wary of any transaction where they insist on Western Union, or cards you purchase, etc.

That’s good advice.  Also, be very wary of those whose poor spelling suggests English is not their first language, or, at a minimum, they don’t proofread and edit to correct mistakes.  Your mileage may vary, or is it very?  😉

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

You want to be vary, vary wary of any transaction where they insist on Western Union, or cards you purchase, etc. This isn't individuals in the USA typically, these are international fraud rings based all over the world. Law Enforcement cannot help you if you fall victim typically because payment is by cash equivalent.  

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

That’s good advice.  Also, be very wary of those whose poor spelling suggests English is not their first language, or, at a minimum, they don’t proofread and edit to correct mistakes.  Your mileage may vary, or is it very?  😉

Not always! I think this is the same guy I bought a used Wabbit Hutting Wiffle from. Seemed like a nice guy, a little high strung though.

• Haha 2