Warning: Beware of Offers to Sell by PM

Chad

• Administrators

I've just made a change moving forward that prevents New Members from using the PM system. For more info, please see: 

Thanks everyone for continuing to help us prevent spam by using the reporting feature!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help me with sending a PM to seller’s on Garage Sale. After signing in, when I click on the sellers avatar, and then click on the Mail icon a message comes up that I am only allowed to send 0 messages per day and to try again later.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tinnitus said:

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help me with sending a PM to seller’s on Garage Sale. After signing in, when I click on the sellers avatar, and then click on the Mail icon a message comes up that I am only allowed to send 0 messages per day and to try again later.

You have to have 5 posts before yo ucan send PM's.

2 hours ago, Tinnitus said:

Hello,

• 3 weeks later...

@chad  Regarding PM'ing, can you raise the amount of posts it takes to make it more of a deterrent (>20)?  Possibly limit it to new forum topics as well it will require much more of an effort to complete the scam.  Just had member Austin36 circumvent the 5 posts by copying and pasting pictures from other forum members. Scammer reached out to me via pm.  I reported as much as i could find. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie Hustle said:

@chad  Regarding PM'ing, can you raise the amount of posts it takes to make it more of a deterrent (>20)?  Possibly limit it to new forum topics as well it will require much more of an effort to complete the scam.  Just had member Austin36 circumvent the 5 posts by copying and pasting pictures from other forum members. Scammer reached out to me via pm.  I reported as much as i could find. 

It didn't take... @Chad

Austin36 sent me a PM also.  I hit the “Report” button.

The PM is quoted below:

“Well if u are still interested in getting  TEC TC-778 RIAA I have a friend who can help u with that. Not sure if it’s still available but you can try. Here’s his mail xxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com”

• Like 2

I received a PM from Austin36 also but somehow can't find it in my message inbox . I just got it sent to my email . text of the message as :

Well if u are still interested in getting Eliptrac 400 I have a friend who can help u with that. Not sure if it’s still available but you can try. Here’s his mail sonnhaltertomdavid1211@yahoo.com

• Like 1

Hi All,

I almost became a member of the "Scammed Club".  I too received a message from Austin36 and can't find the message in my in my message inbox .  In my desperation to find a KLF C7, I posted a "Wanted: KLF C7" in this forum and wallah, my wish came true. Austin36 suggested that I contact sonnhaltertomdavid1211@yahoo.com and that he may have one he's willing to part with.  I contacted him and after some back and forth, we settle on $400.  Given the pictures he provided, I thought that was an "ok" deal.  Little expensive but beggars sometimes can't be choosers.  I mentioned the pictures he sent...I thought I they were familiar..and they were, they came from 4 year old post at: 

Offered to pay via PayPal and he replied: "Sorry, I'm not setup with PayPal as I was hacked using them in the past. Since I was hacked, I vowed not to use them anymore. I would have preferred zelle but I'm always busy with deliveries. I prefer payment via Cashapp or zelle as my wife works with them and she's a registered member so we can easily confirm your payment and ship out without no form of delay. Let me know if that's okay with you and email your shipping info to proceed with the deal."  He also said, it would cost $30.00 to ship to my location, honestly, that's when I became suspicious; for I know it would cost at least $80.00 to ship to me from Texas.  My bank would not process and suggested that I validate the transaction; good thing they did not process.  He then suggested that I send the PayPal payment to a friend of his and I declined the deal.  Moral of this story...desperation leads to your financial demise:(

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, WayneB said:

Hi All,

I almost became a member of the "Scammed Club".  I too received a message from Austin36 and can't find the message in my in my message inbox .  In my desperation to find a KLF C7, I posted a "Wanted: KLF C7" in this forum and wallah, my wish came true. Austin36 suggested that I contact sonnhaltertomdavid1211@yahoo.com and that he may have one he's willing to part with.  I contacted him and after some back and forth, we settle on $400.  Given the pictures he provided, I thought that was an "ok" deal.  Little expensive but beggars sometimes can't be choosers.  I mentioned the pictures he sent...I thought I they were familiar..and they were, they came from 4 year old post at: 

Offered to pay via PayPal and he replied: "Sorry, I'm not setup with PayPal as I was hacked using them in the past. Since I was hacked, I vowed not to use them anymore. I would have preferred zelle but I'm always busy with deliveries. I prefer payment via Cashapp or zelle as my wife works with them and she's a registered member so we can easily confirm your payment and ship out without no form of delay. Let me know if that's okay with you and email your shipping info to proceed with the deal."  He also said, it would cost $30.00 to ship to my location, honestly, that's when I became suspicious; for I know it would cost at least $80.00 to ship to me from Texas.  My bank would not process and suggested that I validate the transaction; good thing they did not process.  He then suggested that I send the PayPal payment to a friend of his and I declined the deal.  Moral of this story...desperation leads to your financial demise:(

Thank you for sharing this, it helps everyone here.

There are still many names residing in here, with zero posts that will try to PM you with these scams, we haven't gotten them all, but we are getting them.

@Chad the Forum administrator, recently put in place a mechanism that doesn't allow people to PM unless they have at least 5 posts in the Forum and I think this has eliminated many of them.

But not all, so remain vigilant. 

• Administrators
23 hours ago, hum4god said:

I received a PM from Austin36 also but somehow can't find it in my message inbox .

This is because when I banned him, I also deleted all of his content including PMs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow thanks for the heads up guys.

I too received a PM from "Austin36" the other day asking if I was still looking for a pair of Hersey 70s using the same language.... I have a friend that can help you with that, same email as above. Naturally since I am still tryin to get a pair I followed up to no response.

And when I logged in here morning and saw the notification to the PM was no longer in my inbox so I knew something was up and sure enough it was.

Chances are if it's too good to be true it usually is! Especially us Klipsch Heritage lovers always looking for deals/trying to hunt down to rarer or vintage parts or speakers... there will always be scum bags like "Austin36" looking to take advantage.

This is a great community and the vigilance and helping one another out is truly appreciated. 

• Like 1

i received two days ago a private message from someone who told me he has a friend who is selling 2 k-401 horns .. i just have to send him a mail.

the PM was from Austin36 also but i can't find it in my message inbox (like hum4god).

i did that but during the email exchanges i have noticed that it could not be possible that he send me a pair of k-401 for 35$ shipping cost to my very very far island (150$ for 2 k-401 horns in very good condition).

the man said his name is sonnhalter.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

i received two days ago a private message from someone who told me he has a friend who is selling 2 k-401 horns .. i just have to send him a mail.

the PM was from Austin36 also but i can't find it in my message inbox (like hum4god).

i did that but during the email exchanges i have noticed that it could not be possible that he send me a pair of k-401 for 35$ shipping cost to my very very far island (150$ for 2 k-401 horns in very good condition).

the man said his name is sonnhalter.

Yes, he has been removed, all of his posts, and all of his PM's. Thanks for reporting.