well the klipsch bug bite me hard ,so i did it

Fattner

I really splurged on mine. Since the AL-5 and AK-6 are wired internally with Audioquest Star Quad wire I wanted to use something close to connect my LSii. 

Using  Canare 4S6 to connect the amp to the mid/tweeter and Canare 4S8 to connect the amp to the woofer input. The runs are only 10’ so total cost with connectors came to about 25.00.

Cannot say it is better than zip cord sonically. I feel better about it. 

• Like 2

Nothing smaller than 12 gauge.  I recommend Knukonceptz Karma SS cables.  They’re good quality, corrosion resistant, and are in twisted pair configuration, which helps them to reject interference.  They’re also very inexpensive.  Just get yourself a 35 foot length, and you’ll be all set to cut it to size.

After spending so much for great speakers, it doesn’t make sense to cheap out on the speaker cables.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Islander said:

Nothing smaller than 12 gauge.  I recommend Knukonceptz Karma SS cables.  They’re good quality, corrosion resistant, and are in twisted pair configuration, which helps them to reject interference.  They’re also very inexpensive.  Just get yourself a 35 foot length, and you’ll be all set to cut it to size.

After spending so much for great speakers, it doesn’t make sense to cheap out on the speaker cables.

ok thx  

3 hours ago, Fattner said:

has anyone heard or used these ??

B6EA89F7-F0EB-40D6-A3A2-49B6FB4F45FA.png

Never heard of that brand, and the complete lack of info other than length is odd.  With no idea of the actual wire size or quality, I’d stay away.

How about a link instead of a screenshot?  Looks like fine zip-chord and if the wire is adequate size (i.e. it ain't all insulation we're seeing) copper, go for it.  For 15' #12 would work okay but is a fair bit extravagant.  Even #14 would be though that's what I go with.  No need to save a few cents on speaker wire, but certainly no need to throw away dollars.

18 hours ago, Fattner said:

How's this for a ball buster ,I'm not going to unpack my La Scalas because we will be moving soon since we sold our home !! Wow it's killing me!!  I do have a question what speaker cables do you folks recommend for these babies and my Mac mc275 ?? Thankyou 

Supra wire from Sweden is very good and won't break the bank. http://www.jenving.com/products/classic-4

If the retreads are rated to 80 mph they'd be entirely suitable for any use I'd currently put any car to.  I can go 50' with a #14 extension cord and pull 10 amps all day long, that's 1200VA (could be Watts depending on the load).  #12 works even better if more VA is needed, but gets a bit unwieldy so is relegated to the longer runs (where it's even more unwieldy).  If I was going to need 20 Amps I'd go with #12 from the start.

Would that size wire benefit my sound system at 20' lengths?  It wouldn't hurt, but would be an awful lot like buying a Bugatti to commute with.

You do whatever  you like with your system. It's your system. Some are a little more serious about the end result. If that's not you, it's ok. No shame. A 78 Chevette will get you from point A to point B. So there's that...............

Shakey

• Thanks 1

I'll get my flak-jacket out of the hall closet and start up here @Fattner

Take a cue from what Klipsch has done with the internal wiring of the AK-6 and I think the AL-5.

If you've some decent ofc low gauge 12 or 14 listen with that hooked up. Then give these guys a call, if you ask question you'll get a sales pitch... but see if they would sell you a trial like a ten or fifteen foot pair of the Type 4.  https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQT4NF&opt=475|492|494|498

I know they have been good to me with two returns the past few years for dissatisfaction.

The capability of what those LS II can produce could be augmented by the wiring. If you've got a Bugatti and want retreads... that's your prerogative.

If you got $6k in your cabinet and LS II in the corners you might consider my idea.

But just changing the wiring on my Heresy II a couple years ago was comparable to an upgrade, it was an upgrade with the difference in what I heard coming out of the rig I'd listened to for 25 years with the same ofc 14 gauge twisted monster that is gone now. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fattner said:

has anyone heard or used these ??

The Sewell banana plugs have a good reputation.  I have never used them.

I use and recommend Mediabridge.  They have a 4.9 Star rating on Amazon.  If you can find something higher rated, buy them.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Banana-Plugs-Corrosion-Resistant-Gold-Plated/dp/B00JFC9ALE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3O1CLA0EDV5SV&keywords=mediabridge+banana+plug&qid=1558621670&s=gateway&sprefix=mediabridge+%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-3

On 5/22/2019 at 9:57 AM, Fattner said:

what speaker cables do you folks recommend for these babies and my Mac mc275 ?? Thank you 

I suggest 12 AWG, Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) with a high strand count.  Get the OFC and not the cheaper Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA)  If the ad for the wire doesn't say OFC then it is the cheaper CCA.  There are several good brands, look for the specs on the wire you're looking for..

I use Monoprice 12 AWG for everything. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9343

Cable Type: Loudspeaker cable
Conduit: High Purity, Oxygen-free Copper
Gauge: 12AWG
Length: 100 ft
Strand count: 87 wires
Strand size: 0.19mm OD
Twist type: Multi-twist, rope lay
Resistance per Meter: 0.0072 ohm
Cross Sectional Area: 3.0mm Sq.
Outer Dimensions of PVC Jacket: 5.40mm x 10.80mm

+++

Don't get Monoprice banana plugs, use Mediabridge because Monoprice's own 12 AWG wire won't fit into their banana plugs.

+++

Further research:  This is why I used the OFC wire instead of CCA:

Get the most out of your home audio system with high quality, oxygen-free, pure bare copper speaker wire from Monoprice!

This speaker wire features two conductors made of high purity (greater than 99.95% pure), oxygen-free bare copper. Pure Bare Copper is a superior conductor to the copper clad aluminum (CCA) conductors used in most other inexpensive speaker wire. CCA is only about 68% as conductive as pure bare copper. This additional resistance is added to the impedance of your speakers and can negatively effect the sound.

For the wire to have no audible effect, the total wire resistance should be no more than 5% of the lowest impedance of your speakers. Even speakers rated for a nominal 8-ohms, may dip to as low as 4-ohms at some frequencies, which further reduces the total cable resistance allowed in the wire. Using Pure Bare Copper speaker wire ensures that the total load put on the amplifier remains as close as possible to the impedance curve of your speakers.

For example, a 16AWG 2-conductor Pure Bare Copper speaker wire has a total resistance of 0.803 ohms per 100 feet (both directions must be considered). By comparison, a 16AWG 2-conductor CCA speaker wire has a total resistance of 1.181 ohms per 100 feet. Assuming 4 ohms is the lowest impedance of your speakers, a speaker wire run can be no more 0.2-ohms total. 20 feet of 16AWG Pure Bare Copper would be 0.1606 ohms, well under the 0.2-ohm limit. On the other hand, 20 feet of 16AWG CCA would be 0.2362 ohms, well OVER the 0.2-ohm limit.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2747

• Like 1

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/La-Scala-2018-Spec-Sheet-v01-1.pdf

this is from the above:

BI-AMP INPUT PANEL AND BINDING POSTS The La Scala’s premium, aluminum input panel accommodates large, high-quality speaker cables. Strong, versatile and quality binding posts provide the capability for bi-wiring or bi-amping. The quality continues with AudioQuest Type 4 with Star-Quad Geometry internal wiring featuring carbon-loaded insulation, nitrogeninjected PE and solid long-grain copper conductors.

Not opposing your viewpoint @wvu80

Yea the OFC is important with the old fashioned wiring!

Just trying to spread some knowledge that I've become a believer in.

30 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Not opposing your viewpoint @wvu80

Yea the OFC is important with the old fashioned wiring!

Just trying to spread some knowledge that I've become a believer in.

No problem John, it's all good and my mind is always open.  For learning to occur a person always needs to be ready to drop old information from their thinking and put new information in its place.

I need your help in expounding on the point I think you are making.  I read the Klipsch LS brochure you linked to, which you quoted above.  The LS uses this newer " AudioQuest Type 4 with Star-Quad Geometry internal wiring featuring carbon-loaded insulation, nitrogeninjected PE and solid long-grain copper conductors." the way they used to use Monster Cables back in the day for internal wiring on flagship models.

https://www.audioquest.com/cables/speaker-cables/star-quad-series/type-4

I'm not sure how this makes OFC "old fashioned wiring."  Are you recommending or suggesting Audioquest Type 4 etc wiring is now recommended (suggested, etc) for speaker wire for highly resolving systems? 

Do you use this, or heard it in use?  Your opinion counts more to me than all the reviews on the company website, put together (of which there were no reviews).

Not challenging, curious with mind wide open.  B)