Check out this bad boy.

polizzio

You just don't realize how big and heavy a 18" bass transducer is til its sitting at ur desktop :) Just came via the mail. Rockville, cost me $59 delivered. Quick test works fine, sounds pretty good free air. I have a 4 cf sealed flatpack cabinet coming to assemble and finish. This baby gonna rock for sure!

Rockford 18 transducer.jpg

20 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Bass driver not subwoofer correct?

Six of one, half dozen of the other! 😉

I contend "bass driver" = "subwoofer"! All depends on the frequency response curve and where you define the amplitude and range of each. But for $59 I'd not expect much durability! Especially with a dirty input signal! I blew an Alpine Slim Line 12" Sub in my Grand Caravan by having the amp gains not set correctly and having a little too much FUN with the Sub! Poof! Smoke, NO continuity anymore! Burned the voice coil! 😞

John Kuthe...

22 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

3 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

I contend "bass driver" = "subwoofer"! All depends on the frequency response curve and where you define the amplitude and range of each.

John Kuthe...

Is the 12" driver in a Heresy a subwoofer?

I think not. If you label it a subwoofer.........it's a pretty poor one.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Ha! You've hit one of my hot buttons! A driver+enclosure that only goes down to 40 Hz is not a subwoofer, it's a woofer.

Not meant to reflect negatively upon the subject of this thread -- I have no idea what its performance might be like. The OP quite properly calls it a "bass transducer".

• Like 2

I'm right with you Edgar. Actually according to Klipsch spec sheet the Heresy only goes to 58 hz, + or - 3 db. But typically there is listening room low frequency gain. Unless its HUGE room.

The Rockville specifications is down to 25 hz. I am just amazed at what is offered from China. $60 delivered 18" transducer, and nice quality. Can't wait to put the cab together and see how it will perform. Online reviews are really good and it has a one year warranty.

So naysayers keep in mind that easily 95% of Klipsch speaker drivers produced today in new product are manufactured in the Peoples Republic of China. USA technology, Chinese manufacturing.

I wonder where the transducers in my new CWs are manufactured? I don't know.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

I contend "bass driver" = "subwoofer"!

We'll agree to disagree then.  As a rule of thumb, I've never considered any bass transducer with an accordion surround a subwoofer driver but maybe that's just me.

35 minutes ago, polizzio said:

I'm right with you Edgar. Actually according to Klipsch spec sheet the Heresy only goes to 58 hz, + or - 3 db. But typically there is listening room low frequency gain. Unless its HUGE room.

The Rockville specifications is down to 25 hz. I am just amazed at what is offered from China. $60 delivered 18" transducer, and nice quality. Can't wait to put the cab together and see how it will perform. Online reviews are really good and it has a one year warranty.

So naysayers keep in mind that easily 95% of Klipsch speaker drivers produced today in new product are manufactured in the Peoples Republic of China. USA technology, Chinese manufacturing.

Exactly!!

And as I said: "All depends on the frequency response curve and where you define the amplitude and range of each."

John Kuthe...

Just ran across this, a review of the SVS SB-3000 sub at Crutchfield, the one i own. SVS lists its frequency response as down to 18 hz. I cannot measure it but its pretty powerful! Many weaker subs just fall apart on the acoustic lead in for the Live Die Repeat blu ray. Some serious low frequency pulses. You want to test ur loudspeaker or subwoofer low frequency performance, play the Live Die Repeat blu ray from the beginning at a decent volume. Just be ready to lower/mute it in case ur drivers start a flopping like a fish out of water on the deck.

Huge improvement over10 yr old ported Klipsch SW

Robert from Southlake, TX on 4/3/2019

Verified customer(What's this?)

Bought new pair of Klipsch RF 7 iii speakers and decided to upgrade the old Klipsch SW (10+ years old). Hooked it up and ... WOW! Huge improvement over the ported Klipsch! So much more power/punch. The sealed system is so much tighter and true. I'd become accustomed to the needless boom. The app control is fantastic!

Pros: Huge, powerful, tight bass. The app control.

Cons: None!

1 hour ago, JohnKuthe said:

I contend "bass driver" = "subwoofer"!

John Kuthe...

So by you statement above, do you consider the Heresy 12" transducer a subwoofer?

How about the two 4.5" low frequency drivers in a Klipsch RF-42 floorstander?

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

Ha! You've hit one of my hot buttons! A driver+enclosure that only goes down to 40 Hz is not a subwoofer, it's a woofer.

Not meant to reflect negatively upon the subject of this thread -- I have no idea what its performance might be like. The OP quite properly calls it a "bass transducer".

For pro sound gear 40 Hz high pass is about average.

2 hours ago, polizzio said:

25 Hz is a stretch, you wont get it out of this driver if its setup properly.

10 minutes ago, polizzio said:

So you know more than the manufacturer does? 

I don't BUT, I always take specs with a grain of salt.  There's no + - 3dB readings so you don't know how far off it drops at that frequency.  The resonant frequency of that driver is 31 Hz also.  Have you put the TS parameters in Winisd yet?

43 minutes ago, polizzio said:

So you know more than the manufacturer does? 

Imagine that!

This is a pro sound driver, it will need to be high passed to reach anywhere near its true potential.

Like mentioned above, its easy to see where you will be at by entering the T/S parameters of the driver into a modeling program and looking at the results.

Imagine that.... Actually knowing what the driver will do so you can construct a proper cabinet for it.

That "wattage" rating is only a thermal rating by the way, don't blow it up.

1 hour ago, jason str said:

This is a pro sound driver, it will need to be high passed to reach anywhere near its true potential.

Like mentioned above, its easy to see where you will be at by entering the T/S parameters of the driver into a modeling program and looking at the results.

Imagine that.... Actually knowing what the driver will do so you can construct a proper cabinet for it.

That "wattage" rating is only a thermal rating by the way, don't blow it up.

Anybody who builds a sub uses a low pass filter, that's so basic its stupid. Who attempts to run a sub driver full range?

Oh your an expert......I forgot.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't BUT, I always take specs with a grain of salt.  There's no + - 3dB readings so you don't know how far off it drops at that frequency.  The resonant frequency of that driver is 31 Hz also.  Have you put the TS parameters in Winisd yet?

But my question was not addressed to you. I have never seen + or - 3 db response readings on a raw transducer, not installed in a cabinet.

Oh please enlighten me.