Who on here like growing tomatos?

mr clean

I work alot so I don’t have time to take care of a large garden but do plant tomato’s every year. Love to watch them grow and try to grow them without synthetic fertilizers with soil that I try improve yearly. Planted mine this year april 30 and hope to have some around the forth of july. If I sold them I would have to charge 5 bucks apeice to break even lol. Who else likes to grow these red globes from heaven?

• Like 1

I'm about two weeks from some ripeness here in Az. We can plant the first week in March. I've grown them in New York and Maryland with good results. Colorado was a challenge. Rabbits, birds, hail and a short season stunted production. But here in Az. I get a big crop May through July. The plants won't set fruit if the temp doesn't drop below 90 so they go dormant for two to three months, then produce again for a fall crop in Oct and early Nov.

IMG_0814.JPG

• Like 3

I grow only odd varieties of cherry tomatoes for my grandkids.  Just one or two plants.

All of the rest of my tomatoes come from my son in law's mom, who has an enormous garden, and just last week put in 50 plants......

• Like 2

We have really good weather for tomatos here in indiana but its been a very wet spring. This will be the first week of really good weather for growing. I just have 4 plants out. Two mortgage lifters for some big ones  im planting two big beefs based on what ive been reading. Good luck with your crop and in four more years I can put out a bigger garden. I bought a little mantis 4 cycle tiller and for working ground thats been worked in years past it is sweet. Saves from getting a bigger one out and great for weeding.

1 hour ago, JBCODD said:

I'm about two weeks from some ripeness here in Az. We can plant the first week in March. I've grown them in New York and Maryland with good results. Colorado was a challenge. Rabbits, birds, hail and a short season stunted production. But here in Az. I get a big crop May through July. The plants won't set fruit if the temp doesn't drop below 90 so they go dormant for two to three months, then produce again for a fall crop in Oct and early Nov.

IMG_0814.JPG

Nice looking plants. Are you sure you were growing tomatos in Colorado 🤡

• Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kevinmi said:

Hopefully there won't be any more frost advisories!

Long past here, were in the upper 80's every day now.

I was just busy and mostly out of town and didn't even plant a garden this year. :sad:

The better boys and the bigger boys grow well here and one slice makes a sandwich even on the bigger old kind of loaf-bread. Always put a little lime in the clay where they and the bell peppers grow, corn and turnips, red sails lettuce don't seem to need it.

Darn fire ants drove me out, tried everything short of malthion or gasoline in there, thought instant grits could do it, or sevin dust... bought both specifically for that but these are pesky biters here.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:09 AM, kevinmi said:

Getting ready to put in a raised bed this week. Hopefully there won't be any more frost advisories!

I used 2 bags of garden soil and 1 bag of cotton burr compost x 3 to get my small garden in shape this year. Cotton burr compost is the best in my opinion because it Does not just make your soil loose but also has alot of minerals and nutrients to help your plants grow better. Back to nature is the best brand ive found. That would work well in that raised bed. Also people hate clay soil but some is good for holding moisture.