Crossovers with a cap and coil on either side of autoformer: second order?

2 hours ago, JohnA said:

Yes.  Putting a component on one side or the other can change the size and probably the cost of that component due to the impedance it operates in to.

Thanks John. I understand why Klipsch put caps on the upstream side of the autoformer! :) 

I'm gonna nay-say here.  I don't see much change in cap value being required either side of the transformer.  The impedance is the same enough either side, or at least should be.  If anything, it might could cut down on the size of the parallel inductor required if you count the inductance of the transformer, but I believe a coil doesn't act like much of an inductor (the way the inductor proper is being used here) when it's being used as a transformer...

The turns ratio squared of the 3507 is around 6.4, so the series load on the 3uf cap will always be 6.4 times the impedance of the driver in parallel with the inductor.

If the cap were on the other side, it would need to be 6.4 times larger to get the same results.  

On 5/20/2019 at 7:38 AM, glens said:

I'......... The impedance is the same enough either side, or at least should be.  If ..

No, not accurate.  In a TypeA/AA, the impedance is twice as high before the autoformer as the driver, resulting in a cap that is half as large. 

I was unaware that impedance factored through a transformer.  I wonder why they were used with amps having output transformers?  I always figured output transformers were just for voltage-matching.  Got a link to any of PWK's notes on the subject?

As with all transformers, watts in equals watts out, so let's use Ohm's Law.

As an example, let's use a T2A autoformer, and apply 2.83 volts to taps 0-5.

Taps 0-4 will connect to a 14 ohm K-55 driver at 2.00 volts (-3db).

2 volts into a 14 ohm load equals .2857 watts  (watts = volts squared/resistance, or 4/14).

Since there's .2857 watts output, there's got to be .2857 watts input.

2.83 volts at .2857 watts equals 28 ohms (ohms = volts squared / watts, or 8 / .2857).

As you can see, taps 0-5 appear to be a 28 ohms load.

Hope that helps!