LSI Rebuild

Dave A

Some time ago I bought four LSI's that had toured with the Oak Ridge Boys.  Really beat up and i decided with all the cabinet damage to just kind of start over. I beat all the wood off the doghouses and went back and built separate bass bins and top hats. The bass bin has 25mm Baltic Birch sides and18mm elsewhere. The top hat has one of my larger MAHL tweeters with the DE10 driver and a 25mm motorboard with the traditional K-400 and some K-55-M's which were with the original LSI's. Trimmed the mid opening to be a better fit for the horn mouth to stop that ledge there. Reused the K-43 woofers which I happen to like over the K-33's

Rebuilt some Type E crossovers to AA's minus the zener diodes since the DE10 does not need that protection. These have none of the resonance problems the 18mm sides do. Imagine all the punch of the LSI bass bin with no resonance and I swear deeper bass to boot. Needs room EQ though to sound it's best but that is true with many speakers. I like these more than the LSI one piece fiberglass I once had which were the best sounding ones until now that I have owned. I have two more sets of these one set a two piece and one set a single piece and I will more than likely change the sides out to 1"  baltic on these too. Makes a huge difference.

Designer Brown Sound.jpg

LSI redo.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/14/2019 at 11:48 AM, Pete H said:

Those look very nice Dave!  Is that one of the super MWM's with the 402 on top that you're finishing to match as well?

Thanks and yes it is.

Everything was pro black and while I don't mind that it shows dirt real well. I had a brown truck that did a good job of being dirty and not showing it so I decided to see about doing it too speakers also. Did it to a set of KG4's that had a bondo spot under the paint and it turned out nice. Decided then any I build will be this color and got the WAF seal  of approval yesterday. She came out to the shop and unprompted said I like those. A Sherwin Williams dealer nearby that has some fabricator customers did not bat an eye about adding tint to paint they did not sell. Homeowner type paint suppliers probably will so seek a paint dealer that caters to pro customers and you are good to go.

WAF however does not apply to 402's and S-MWM's which get a sniff and a comment "men and their toys" or "men never grow up" depending on the day. Also depends on what music I let here hear for the day to.

Duratex does more than one thing I figure. Besides a durable finish I believe it will help seal all plenums and cabinets better if there are gaps you missed and as tough as it is perhaps it will bleed into cracks and also act as glue too. In beating apart cabinets it is a bit surprising to see the number of somewhat questionable appearing glue joints there can be. You don't really know this until you beat a few apart and see the evidence there in front of you.

4 hours ago, kirby said:

Dave,

Those look really fine. I would love to hear them sometime with your tweeters and the enhanced bass!

I always welcome any Klipsch forum members to stop by if they are in the area and I am not swamped with work.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...