How thick can the drywall be for CDT-5800-C II IN-CEILING SPEAKER installation?

wookie groomer

I will install 4 of these in a new construction ceiling in my basement theater room as well as two more in an adjacent Atmos gaming room. The ceiling will be 2 layers of 5/8" Type X drywall for a total thickness of 1 1/4" plus a backer box that I am building out of 1/2" plywood. The total overall thickness will then be 1 3/4". Will the mounting clips in the CDT-5800-C be large enough to accommodate that depth and still provide a nice tight connection? I considered building the box without the bottom since it will be snug between two studs but I wanted the bottom plate with the cutout in it so I can rotozip through the drywall and trace the inside cutout already perfectly made in the plywood.

Many in-ceiling and in-wall speakers mounting ears can fit 1 1/2" thickness, so two layers of 5/8" plus the texture mud and paint is probably the limit. You don't really need a roto-zip guide, a pencil mark will do. Might be best to acquire the speakers that you will use and measure them, just to be sure your final installation is fun and easy.

Just looked up the spec sheet, curious Klipsch doesn't spec max thickness. Ok I don't know but would think if the screws supplied on the "doglegs" aren't long enough you could replace with longer screws. Mine went into just one layer of 5/8 no problem.

I have the same issue with old construction electrical boxes. I thought about the longer screw idea, if anyone has tried it, it would be good to know if it works.  Also, thought about using those speakers.  Interesting to see what comes of this.

I have put in four within the past several months. When the doglegs are first deployed, I recall the speakers dangled below my hole in the drywall quite a bit and certainly more than an inch. At one point I thought the legs failed to swing out because it dangled so far out, worrying I would drop these babies!   Changing to longer screws would also be very easy to do as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to go for it if it were me, and you sound like a much more capable DIY’er than me. All I have is a drywall saw. 

The screws appear to be #8 sheet-metal screws. The length will depend on the specific speaker. A problem with trying longer screws is that the dog-ear tabs are captive in the slotted and capped mounting bosses, but some designs have excess tab material that could be trimmed to fit the thicker ceiling. I don't have a picture of your exact speaker, I am just trying to help with ideas.

IMG_4446.JPG.6925e5a8116d34221a8eb05d0aecee80.JPG 

IMG_4449.JPG.51c06794e99c8d60a1356216f076ff7b.JPG

I plan to come up with my final solution this weekend. I am in the process of framing out the theater room and basement in general but everything was put on hold for an injury I got last week. I do already own the speakers and plan to do a more thorough brainstorming on how I'll tackle this now that I'm ready to get going again.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

so i was not able to find the exact match but bought a few.to try out and so far 1 set has worked. putting the other in the wall tonight.

i had to use shears to cut off the 4 rings that hold the 4 wings in place so it could extend further and used the longer screws and so far so good!