Heresy II questions

mcp

Hi - I have been searching for a pair of Heresy or Heresy II’s and would like to pair them with a subwoofer. First of all, is $500 a reasonable expectation of what I will pay for a single owner pair in excellent condition? Also, which Klipsch subwoofer would you choose to partner them with for music? Room is not large, but is bass challenged because of a 12’ cathedral ceiling.

What finish do they have? That would be edging to the high side. My son bought me a pair of black lacquer HIIs, but they were substantially under $400. He won't tell me exactly what he paid for them, but they had only been listed for a few minutes when he saw them and he just hit the BIN button.

Used mine an a 20x23 foot room with 10 ft ceilings and they sounded great. I don't own a sub quite yet.

Bruce

Where are you located? I run an RW 8 ("old" subs) off each of my H II's. They seem to keep up ok and sound good to me. That being said, I ran without subs for decades. I have found that not all of my music requires them. As to your price, finish choice and excellent condition, H II's may be difficult to find, but they do pop up. I mostly see beat to hell, finishes I don't prefer, and water stained, neglected examples in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, mcp said:

Hi - I have been searching for a pair of Heresy or Heresy II’s and would like to pair them with a subwoofer. First of all, is $500 a reasonable expectation of what I will pay for a single owner pair in excellent condition? Also, which Klipsch subwoofer would you choose to partner them with for music? Room is not large, but is bass challenged because of a 12’ cathedral ceiling.

Doesn't really matter whether they are single owner or not, as long as they are in good cosmetic and functional condition.  And yes, IMO, 500 is a reasonable expectation for a pair in excellent condition.

4 minutes ago, baron167 said:

I hope they look better in person. What crap photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, I guess my expectations are low because I don’t think any photos look good on CL. But the condition looks excellent from what I can see.

• Like 1

I paid much more than $500 for my Heresy II's in 9 out of 10 condition. For $500 I'd jump on those.

As for a compatible subwoofer, I can't vouch for any Klipsch subs, but I bought an SVS SB-1000 to match, because it was a sealed unit just like the Heresy's and I like the tight, response of an acoustic suspension sub.

I've got a pair of HII's that I wouldn't mind selling, but you're literally across the country.  Mine are about a 7 - 7 1/2 overall.  One had water damage on the bottom, refinished it, added Crites slant risers, tweet diaphragms, reworked the finish, it's still original, and recapped the Xovers with Crites supplied caps.  I'm just not overly a fan of them.  I've been listening to my 5.5's since new, while they aren't as strong in the midrange, the HII's are almost too much.

They image well, but are lacking with newer music in my opinion.  They sound good with 30's and 40's Big Band, 60's and 70's rock, but after that not so much.  Anyway, hope they fit your bill.  Here's a pic of mine after some rework.

1866988596_20180810_205159reduced.jpg.311cc752f5e32a80812893469fe491b7.jpg

1259107333_20180810_205217reduced.jpg.fbbf66fe35ad86e8e4a64a77a81ff665.jpg

I have a pair of H1's, birch lacquered, that I built when I worked there, and a pair of H II's walnut , condition 10 outta 10,  that only get taken outta their boxes when I need two boxes to haul the HI's around in....I played the HII's twice, still preferred my H1's...but am keeping the H II's anyway for rear channels in my anticipated all-Heresy quad system room in my retirement home!  When that happens, I will have my SW-8 subwoofer between the rear ones and my SW-15 subwoofer (just bought, FINALLY! Nice ones are pretty hard to come by!  But if you wait long-enough...) between the front Heresy 1's...both subwoofers in oak raw NOW (but some honey-pine semi-gloss polyurethane will change THAT!), and tested and in boxes for my upcoming move sometime in the next few months (I HOPE!).

For just stereo with H I or H II I'd recommend the SW-15 for the subwoofer, IF you can find one that isn't beat all up or doesn't have a bad plate amp, normally from hard use!  With the SW-15 you do NOT need a PAIR of subwoofers for stereo use, trust me!😉

The SW-15 is the PERFECT (Klipsch-made) match for H 1's or H II's!...it was designed for them!😁….and not JUST for them!😉

SW-15.thumb.jpg.23015310b0a8811b54677d6b3e7593c5.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

For just stereo with H I or H II I'd recommend the SW-15 for the subwoofer, IF you can find one that isn't beat all up or doesn't have 

The SW-15 is the PERFECT (Klipsch-made) match for H 1's or H II's!...it was designed for them!😁….and not JUST for them!😉

SW-15.thumb.jpg.23015310b0a8811b54677d6b3e7593c5.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Just what I was looking for.

Well, I lucked out. The HII's I looked at were a solid 9 out of 10. Really, I could not find a flaw in the cabinets or grilles. Original owner also had all sales receipts, manuals, Klipsch dealer list etc, which is interesting to look at. They are singing in my family room now!

20190515_103947.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1